Sooners Backup QB

Still stupid of them to put him in with a minute left in the first half. They should have brought him out at the half. It let us know he was playing in the second half before halftime and we could make a few adjustments. That was one coaching decision I questioned from OU.
I actually think it was a really smart move ... it allows him to get over a case of 'nerves' in the first half and come out ready to go in the second half. jmo.

Hawkins had 0 turnovers compared to 3 for Arnold.

And when the offensive line is suspect, a mobile QB has its advantages

I actually don't care about the qb race at Oklahoma.
I do care how they do the rest of the season ... a good performance by them as a team ENHANCES our profile!!!
Go OU!
My prediction: Beat AU, SC, Maine.
It will be a rock fight with TX, OM, MZ, LSU
Thinking that AL will have their number.
So, looking for them to finish 9-3 or 8-4
OU may be the 5th best team SEC this year.

OU has a brutal schedule left (but who in the SEC doesn't?). Out of their remaining top-25 opponents which do you see as wins? They have Texas, Ole Miss, Missouri, 'Bama and LSU (from the Top-25).
IMO, they are better than Mizzou for sure. LSU is a good match-up for them seeing as their defense is not very good, but with it being in Baton Rouge I have to give the edge to LSU.

OM and Bama are clearly better teams than OU, but OU is talented enough that you can't automatically assume those are losses for OU. Texas and OU is almost always a toss up, regardless of how talented each team is.

If I had to put odds on it, I would say 55% chance they beat Mizzou, 45% chance on LSU and Texas, and 35% chance of beating OM and Bama. 7-5 or 6-6 seems probable for them. But I think they find a way to get 8 wins in the regular season.

With Perkins out for LSU my lean changed to OU in this game. Missouri looks beatable, OU D can win this one. OM, Bama and TX all look like Ls, Hawkins could become a season changer for OU but their OL and WR Corp is missing quite a big of talent. 8-4 ceiling 6-6 floor

I made the prediction to a friend of mine that Jackson Arnold wouldnt last the full game. But that was because i thought we would hurt him the way we have been hitting people. I didnt think OU would bench him. But, their Backup QB will help them win 7-8 games this year. Their playcalling needs to get more creative aswell. I feel like there was a few things that their OC could have done presnap to make us think alittle more on the defensive side that they didnt do. Cole Cubelic hit on this on his podcast too.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Still stupid of them to put him in with a minute left in the first half. They should have brought him out at the half. It let us know he was playing in the second half before halftime and we could make a few adjustments. That was one coaching decision I questioned from OU.
I thought it was a terrible idea for the psychology of both qbs.

The kid might be good. But his first 3 possessions and 4 out of his first 5, were 3 and out. It’s not like he came out and lit it up. He had 2 drives over 4 plays. And we made him earn every inch of those downs. He played hard and there’s definitely obvious talent. But I’m not sure you can take anything from what we saw and project it for the rest of the season

Reactions: temptn and FBtime
Yeah that doesn't make much sense. I thought they were bringing him out, just to keep the starters confidence up. There was basically nothing that he was going to be able to do in the last moments of the first half deep in his own territory. Figured they would go back to Arnold on the first series of the second half. But no, They were serious.

Pretty funny if you listen to Venables presser. That backward pass pushed him over the edge. He had a funny phrase where he says, " we don't have an option in the RPO that includes throwing the ball backwards ". He wasn't laughing either, lol.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I think derail a program is a bit much. There’s weird recruiting things fairly often. As long as it isn’t multiple in a row that have a clear common thread I don’t think it’ll matter enough to change entire recruiting for a school.

In everything in life there’s always a few that trash something and everyone expects that. It’s when trends start happening that it starts really hurting something. I doubt one scenerio will make much difference for them. Maybe in a couple people’s eyes they’ll have some extra questions but nothing major.

Look at all Heupel went up against and still got us going.

Heupel didn't butcher a 5-star recruit after another QB transferred from his program, so that reference doesn't apply here.

I get what you're saying about trends, but as much competition as there is for stud QB recruits, an incident like that will be used as ammunition by other schools. It's just an awful start when trying to build a program back into a national contender.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It doesn’t matter who OU names as starting QB.

That OL is turrible and QB will make a marginal difference this year for them.

His fault or not, Arnold turned the ball over twice the very next play after a UT turnover. There was little hope he was going to play any better at that point. I wish someone would have sat JG.

This is a bad move by Venables. If Arnold wasn’t ready that was the OC’s fault. Arnold is extremely talented, but he brought a knife to a gun fight. They have now killed Arnolds confidence.

If Venables doesn’t realize we were playing bend don't break and giving the underneath throws by that point in the game he is dumber than I thought.

Not sure how factual, but Dave Hooker stated on his podcast that the team did prepare for Hawkins according to his source. Either way by the time he entered the game we had backups in most positions and played prevent. I think given that and the suspect flags thrown while he was in is why he looked like the OU savior, but obviously we all know we have seen the same thing in the past from our teams. Some of the delusional OU fans are similar to some of our fans in the past but I think this Tennessee team is for real and have high expectations.

I was at the game and I thought they put Hawkins in to run out the clock while Arnold took a break and got settled. I was stunned when he was left in, made them virtually one dimensional.

Reactions: WillisWG
Gutsy kid, but if they dont get more production from their running backs he wont make it through the season unijured.

In talking with OU fans, Hawkins was the one who stood out as the best player in the Spring/Spring Game and reports that he looked better in Fall practices so that is likely why the switch was made so quickly.

Gave them a spark but only because by the time he got in the game, the game was over and the Vols had gone into prevent defense to let the clock run out. I'm guessing Arnold will be back out there before the season is over.
I think his performance alerted our coaches of area where our defense needed to clean up their play. I am glad it occurred when we had a comfortable lead and we were still able to beat the spread. The D had not faced a running QB in the first three games and we now have an area to shore up for the rest of the season.

Reactions: tenascvol
Laying it on the line like he was I don't think Hawkins could have made it the whole game against us. He'll get knocked out unless he learns to limit the hits he takes.

Reactions: DaddyChad

VN Store

Back