Speculation On Buzzs Replacement........

Bobby Cremins is not a good choice. Great recruiter but not a good coach. Perry did all the coaching at GT. When he left for Tulane they fell apart and Tech went into a tailspin.

If this is from a list that Mike Hamilton has, he's already been quoted as saying he has a list of 10 replacements for all the men's coaches...including Fulmer...in the event that something were to happen.

Don't get too giddy...if Buzz leaves, he'll do it on his own terms this season or by default next season when we're done paying for Jerry Green.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Mar 4, 2005 1:14 AM
I say bring back Ray Mears, he is crazy but wins. No Knight, Pitino ain't coming here, Cremmins is done, we must find a young Coach K deciple, or a Carolina deciple that can spell defense. Our "d" is ranked 293 in the ncaa. :bad: :beer:

Ray Mears has to use a walker to get around now...he's not in good shape.

Originally posted by westsidevol@Mar 4, 2005 9:22 AM
Perry did all the coaching at GT. When he left for Tulane they fell apart and Tech went into a tailspin.

Tech didn't exactly go into a tailspin becuase of Perry Clark leaving. Clark went to Tulane in 1988 and Ga Tech managed to get to the Final Four in 1990 and was competitive into the mid 90s. He got caught with his pants down when Stephon Marbury left Tech after only one year and I don't think he ever recovered.

But you're right -the knock on Cremins was always that he was a great recruiter and marginal floor coach . . . which beats being a marginal recruiter AND a marginal floor coach.

yes. It was a more gradual decent perhaps. I live in Atl so I hear more than I want about GT. I just know that people regard BC as a weak X and O guy, but he can recruit and sell a program. After the botched move to USC he never seemed to be the same. His last few teams really declined.

Of course you make a good point that at least he would not be marginal in 2 areas like BP. :dlol:

Originally posted by westsidevol@Mar 4, 2005 10:41 AM
After the botched move to USC he never seemed to be the same. His last few teams really declined.

You are right about that. He was literally on the USC campus one day accepting the job and then that night he was calling the Tech AD begging for his old job back. :shakehead:

VN Store

Back