Stadium decibel levels

Shades

Shady member
"Tennessee’s Neyland Stadium is the new record holder for the college football decibel record.
During the Vols’ game against Georgia on Saturday (Nov 2023), Tennessee fans reached 137 dB, breaking the old decibel record of 133.6 at the 1992 Washington-Nebraska game."

At the Florida game last week, as we were screaming and stomping along with other Vol faithful, the decibel level displayed on the Jumbotron got as high as 126 dB.
But there were some knotheads not contributing even one peep of noise to the effort.
Let's break our own 137 dB record against Bama on Saturday.

We won't be able to able to be there against Bama, but would love to hear reports from anyone watching the Jumbotron on what the displayed decibel levels get too.

Go Vols!

Too many old people. Had some old guy telling me to sit down during the Florida game when it was third down and we were on defense
I always ask the people behind me if they can see. I want to enjoy the game yet respectful of those who can’t or won’t stand. So I would try that next game. It’s amazing how people react when one tries to be nice (not saying you weren’t).

Society is angry and the world is going bonkers so I try to be the light though I fail often.

I’m 53 yrs old and beginning to have arthritic issues. But i do as best as I can and stand parts of the game. I also yell usually hoarse after games.

We shouldn’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t stand or yell. But they shouldn’t get angry for someone yelling or standing.

Go Vols!

I always ask the people behind me if they can see. I want to enjoy the game yet respectful of those who can’t or won’t stand. So I would try that next game. It’s amazing how people react when one tries to be nice (not saying you weren’t).

Society is angry and the world is going bonkers so I try to be the light though I fail often.
God Bless you. The world needs more of you.

I’m not so sure about the accuracy of the on screen db level. There were times that it was pretty darn quiet and it was still registering 120-122.

1,000% agree and noticed the same thing on the screen last Saturday night in Neyland. There were times that the crowd got suddenly quiet and yet the screen showed high db noise level for several seconds. Inaccurate.

I don't trust what the screen says anymore! Just use your ears! lol If you've been to several games, you know when it's noisy. I always wear ear plugs though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky Top T
140 can cause pain in the ear and irreversible damage. Seriously, take ear plugs this Saturday just in case. I’m deaf in one ear due to my military service and it’s absolutely irritating when you can’t hear because of hearing loss. I really don’t watch TV much anymore because there’s no use in watching what you can’t hear. Even turned up I can make out only about 50 to 60% of the what they’re saying.

140 can cause pain in the ear and irreversible damage. Seriously, take ear plugs this Saturday just in case. I’m deaf in one ear due to my military service and it’s absolutely irritating when you can’t hear because of hearing loss. I really don’t watch TV much anymore because there’s no use in watching what you can’t hear. Even turned up I can make out only about 50 to 60% of the what they’re saying.

I tried foam earplugs this past weekend but I could only hear myself yell and that wasn’t fun. I think this game I will try my shooting headphones. I have some that offer ambient noise for talking, while muting damaging noise. It may look goofy, but it will surely help avoid tenitis next week.

Also, those screen DB readings they show on the monitors are not actual readings of anything. That’s just a pump up animation that most pro stadiums play a variation of regularly. The person who controls those monitors has pretty good timing, usually.

"Tennessee’s Neyland Stadium is the new record holder for the college football decibel record.
During the Vols’ game against Georgia on Saturday (Nov 2023), Tennessee fans reached 137 dB, breaking the old decibel record of 133.6 at the 1992 Washington-Nebraska game."

At the Florida game last week, as we were screaming and stomping along with other Vol faithful, the decibel level displayed on the Jumbotron got as high as 126 dB.
But there were some knotheads not contributing even one peep of noise to the effort.

We won't be able to able to be there against Bama, but would love to hear reports from anyone watching the Jumbotron on what the displayed decibel levels get too.

Go Vols!
I know for a fact there are many not contributing any noise. I beg them to no avail

Reactions: adam.vol

I’m 53 yrs old and beginning to have arthritic issues. But i do as best as I can and stand parts of the game. I also yell usually hoarse after games.

We shouldn’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t stand or yell. But they shouldn’t get angry for someone yelling or standing.

Go Vols!
As long as your not in my 19" of seat space at a Vols game, by all means have a swell time. Those tickets are too dang expensive to be a shrew for 3.5 hours.

Closed captioning is your friend.

Go Vols!
The meter was not up when we (yes I will take some credit because I was yelling in support)made the 3rd or 4th down stop going into the south endzone, but that was the loudest moment of the game. The pick by McCoy also was louder than the 126. The highest levels are not pre-snap but after a great play (offensive or defensive)

I know for a fact there are many not contributing any noise. I beg them to no avail
All you have to do is look over to the new High Dollar seats just up behind the vols sideline... they are rarely full to begin with for the whole game. Thanks go to them for contributing to the hostile environment.... Not.

All you have to do is look over to the new High Dollar seats just up behind the vols sideline... they are rarely full to begin with for the whole game. Thanks go to them for contributing to the hostile environment.... Not.

As someone fortunate enough to have sat there a number of times, I agree to a large degree. However, I will say there is a (relative to the overall number in the sections) large contingent in the sections who are trying to right that ship and it's slowly gaining steam. Going to keep putting on more steam with them! GBO!

Reactions: Wireless1
I tried foam earplugs this past weekend but I could only hear myself yell and that wasn’t fun. I think this game I will try my shooting headphones. I have some that offer ambient noise for talking, while muting damaging noise. It may look goofy, but it will surely help avoid tenitis next week.

Also, those screen DB readings they show on the monitors are not actual readings of anything. That’s just a pump up animation that most pro stadiums play a variation of regularly. The person who controls those monitors has pretty good timing, usually.
Foam ear plugs do okay for noise that don’t involve concussion type noise (guns, explosives). Ear muffs do best with concussions. The best you’ll get from ear plugs is about 25 noise reduction rating. Mainly because people don’t put them in correctly so you always have a 7db safety factor so if you have ear plugs that are rated at 32db, you’ll actually get about 25db.

I think you’d fair better with ear muffs as well.

Reactions: adam.vol

VN Store

Back