Starlink Gets Nearly 1 Billion Grant For Rural ISP Access

We had a discussion about Starlink in the Space Exploration thread since time back. Someone mentioned a vehicle mounted station and allegedly an auto manufacturer was looking at it.

If this turns out like they want it to, things like Starlink could make things like 5G and SiriusXM obsolete. No earth stations to worry about? No dropped calls in bad areas?

It's crazy to think of the possibilities of high speed satellite internet.

Reactions: VolnJC
While I'm a big proponent of Starlink one thing that gets overlooked is something that almost every house has and that's a cable supplying electricity. Zapping an ethernet signal over a powerline has been around for decades, I can't imagine that they can't do it through the wiring to a house.

We had a discussion about Starlink in the Space Exploration thread since time back. Someone mentioned a vehicle mounted station and allegedly an auto manufacturer was looking at it.

If this turns out like they want it to, things like Starlink could make things like 5G and SiriusXM obsolete. No earth stations to worry about? No dropped calls in bad areas?

It's crazy to think of the possibilities of high speed satellite internet.
The real enabler is the lower earth orbit to minimize the ping time. Geosynchronous orbit delays makes satellite providers near unless for real time gaming and other low latency needs. It’s 270msec each way or 540msec round trip. HughesNet has been around for a while and Starlink will basically kill them.

I’d guess it helps when the company that owns the network satellites also owns the launch vehicles 😂

Reactions: VolnJC
The real enabler is the lower earth orbit to minimize the ping time. Geosynchronous orbit delays makes satellite providers near unless for real time gaming and other low latency needs. It’s 270msec each way or 540msec round trip. HughesNet has been around for a while and Starlink will basically kill them.

I’d guess it helps when the company that owns the network satellites also owns the launch vehicles 😂
Apparently the 2nd generation of the Starlink satellites are fitted with laser communications for satellite to satellite communications to bypass the ground stations and make them even faster. They apparently haven't got this to work yet, but everything Musk touches eventually works. The man is a true visionary.

ALL technology eventually becomes obsolete. Unless of course you can buy/stifle any competing competition. I refuse to believe that 30 mpg is the best we can do with the internal combustion engine in today's world. The A350 is a 600,000lb airplane that burns the same amount of fuel in cruise that a B767 does which weighs a little more than half that. Why do gas only cars/trucks get such pitiful mileage?

Because that's how government wants it.

ALL technology eventually becomes obsolete. Unless of course you can buy/stifle any competing competition. I refuse to believe that 30 mpg is the best we can do with the internal combustion engine in today's world. The A350 is a 600,000lb airplane that burns the same amount of fuel in cruise that a B767 does which weighs a little more than half that. Why do gas only cars/trucks get such pitiful mileage?

Because that's how government wants it.
And yet if you look at our leaders in government like Pelosi or Shumer, I wonder how they can figure out how an alarm clock works to be able to get out of bed on time.
Now that I think about it, they have someone else wake them up, kind of like my dad did when I was a kid.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
And yet if you look at our leaders in government like Pelosi or Shumer, I wonder how they can figure out how an alarm clock works to be able to get out of bed on time.
Now that I think about it, they have someone else wake them up, kind of like my dad did when I was a kid.
Well with them it is all about graft and kick backs. How else do they get uber wealthy on a government salary?

VN Store

Back