Stewart Mandels top 10 coaches...

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=cn...cnnsi&type=lgns

My top 10 coaches headed into the 2005 season:

1. Pete Carroll, USC: It's hard to argue with this one. In slightly more than four years, he's created the sport's reigning juggernaut, assembled a brilliant staff (which he's since had to replenish), cleaned up in recruiting and continually demonstrated his keen defensive mind with his game plans and in-game adjustments.

2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: He would have been No. 1 this time a year ago, but Carroll unseated him in somewhat embarrassing fashion. While Stoops' once impregnable rep has taken a hit with the past two years' late-season collapses, the fact is his teams have had five straight seasons of 11 wins or more and played for three national titles.

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: No one's done a better job the past three years of turning dust into gold, producing three straight 10-win seasons and two shared Big Ten titles despite an overall talent level that pales in comparison to that of conference rivals Ohio State and Michigan.

4. Jim Tressel, Ohio State: While his overly conservative nature is tough for many to stomach (and in fact may have cost the Buckeyes a couple of games early last season when he stubbornly stuck with a horrendous rushing attack), he's already won one national title and has recruited the talent base necessary to win another.

5. Bobby Petrino, Louisville: I know, he's only been on the job for two years, but the guy is a certifiable guru. While John L. Smith got the Cardinals' ball rolling, Petrino has taken them to a whole other stratosphere with his unique offensive mind and ability to recruit BCS-caliber skill players.

6. Urban Meyer, Florida: While it remains to be seen how his system will fare at the major-conference level, there's no denying the rapid effect he had at both of his two previous stops, Bowling Green and Utah, and his new-age offensive approach has taken the sport by storm.

7. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech: Beamer is another master of maximizing his resources, as demonstrated again with last season's ACC title in what really should have been a rebuilding year, and his ranking would be higher if not for a couple of disappointing showings in 2002 and '03.

8. Dan Hawkins, Boise State: What Hawkins is doing in the land of smurf turf is nothing short of remarkable. The Broncos have absolutely dominated the WAC the past three years, going 36-3 by constantly adjusting their approach to fit their various strengths each season.

9. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee: Fulmer's staff has taken its share of criticism, but that's partially because it raised the bar so high in the '90s. The Vols have broken out of the brief rut they hit earlier this decade, winning the SEC East last year and nabbing the nation's top recruiting class.

10. Mack Brown, Texas: There will undoubtedly be many who say Brown should be nowhere near this list because he's yet to actually win any sort of championship, but there's no denying he's created an enviable program that's won 10 or more games each of the past four seasons.

Just missed: California's Jeff Tedford, Fresno State's Pat Hill, Michigan's Lloyd Carr (more on him in a bit), Georgia's Mark Richt and Auburn's Tommy Tuberville

That's a pretty good list. Personally I'd take Petrino, Meyer and Mack Brown off and put Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt and Paul Johnson (Navy) in.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 28, 2005 11:36 PM
That's a pretty good list.  Personally I'd take Petrino, Meyer and Mack Brown off and put Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt and Paul Johnson (Navy) in.
[snapback]108686[/snapback]​

I would agree with that.

Petrino? Laughable, imo.

Brown? What the hell has he won? A BCS bowl? Thats it?

Give me a break

Meyer over Richt?

Meyer? I guess hype works on paper? , but id give him a season maybe 3 in the SEC before dropping him in the top 15.
Beamer while he's done a good bit of work, at #7 doesnt fit. It could be my hate for VT? Bowden and Richt should have been in the top 10

CTT was voted #1 by his peers
Stoops team gave up in the "big game"
I hate all that is Bowden
Meyer is unproven in the SEC!
Petrino I like alot but still needs more
Seems ok outside of that IMHO!
Maybe I need to rethink this..

If CTT wins 9+ games next year after losing all of that talent, I'll vote for him.

I'd say move Tressel lower down the list, put Meyer in the Just Missed category, put Petrino on the list if he wins the Big East for the next season or two, take Beamer off, put Dan Hawkins a bit lower, and put Mack Brown one spot ahead of Fulmer.

Milo's list

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma - IMO, 5 straight 11 win seasons in a conference like the Big XII is a bit more impressive than two straight national championships. But only by a bit.

2. Pete Carroll, USC - Read above. However; If he threepeats this season, he goes straight to the top.

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa - Good spot for him. Two Big Ten titles with far less talent than Ohio State and Michigan is mighty impressive. If he wins the Big Ten again this year, I will be extremely impressed.

4. Mack Brown, Texas - I know I'm gonna get some flack for this, but I have been really impressed with what he has done. Next to Bob Stoops, Brown's Longhorns has proven to have the most consistent success of any team in the country.

5. Phil Fulmer, Tennessee - Would be third our fourth, but I can't help but feel as if Tennessee has been a bit of an underachiever recently when I look back at all the talent vs. the season-to-season records. We're making it back though. SEC Champs '05!

6. Jeff Tedford, California - Cal's turnaround has been tremendous, and Tedford has proven to be a big winner on his own after Oregon fell flat without him.

7. Mark Richt, Georgia - Easily the most consistent threat in the SEC today. Richt contends for division titles no matter what the circumstance.

8. Dan Hawkins, Boise State - Runs one of the three most teams dominant over their conference in the country. Boise State dominates the WAC in the exact same fashion USC dominates the Pac-10 and Oklahoma dominates the Big XII.

9. Bobby Bowden, Florida State - If Bowden can maintain his spot at the top tier of the ACC with the new expansion coming in, he should maintain his spot on this list.

10. Pat Hill, Fresno State - Okay, this one's just for fun. But how can you not like the infamous "Anyone, anywhere, anytime" mentality? Plus, you have to respect anybody that performs like that against ranked opponnents, especially considering they are from the WAC.

Call me when Mack Brown wins a championship.

He's a good coach who reminds me a lot of Phil Fulmer circa 1996.

I could understand the viewpoint of moving Brown down a few spots, but I put him there because four straight ten-win seasons in the Big XII South speaks for itself.

I hate Michigan with a passion, but I think Lloyd Carr should be on the list.

Funny that the 2 winningest coaches, Bowden and Paterno, aren't on the list or even the just missed section.

This is almost as abstract as the ole "Which conference is better?" argument.

Yeah... I think, right now, everybody's list should probably be Stoops and Carroll at the top, then the rest should be any various mix of Fulmer, Stoops, Ferentz, Carr, Bowden, Paterno, Riley, Tressel, Brown, Tedford, Richt, Hawkins, Tuberville, Hill, Meyer, Petrino, Beamer, Miles or Coker.

The OSU fan in me wants to put Mike Riley somewhere near that list. I know Oregon State's only so-so and not a national powerhouse... But they're a winning program now, and you have to understand, What Mike Riley did is like the equivalent of turning Vanderbilt or Kentucky into a winning program. You have to respect that. Dennis Erickson, yada yada... He was pretty good, but he did well off of what Riley set up for him.

IMO, a lot of coaches could win at Browns rate with the talent and facilities he has at Texas.

If he was winning at Texas Tech or Kansas State at that rate....I would put him that high.

As GA said, I won't put him in the Top 6-7 until he wins a conference title

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 29, 2005 10:32 PM
I'd say move Tressel lower down the list, put Meyer in the Just Missed category, put Petrino on the list if he wins the Big East for the next season or two, take Beamer off, put Dan Hawkins a bit lower, and put Mack Brown one spot ahead of Fulmer.

Milo's list

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma - IMO, 5 straight 11 win seasons in a conference like the Big XII is a bit more impressive than two straight national championships. But only by a bit.

2. Pete Carroll, USC - Read above. However; If he threepeats this season, he goes straight to the top.

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa - Good spot for him. Two Big Ten titles with far less talent than Ohio State and Michigan is mighty impressive. If he wins the Big Ten again this year, I will be extremely impressed.

4. Mack Brown, Texas - I know I'm gonna get some flack for this, but I have been really impressed with what he has done. Next to Bob Stoops, Brown's Longhorns has proven to have the most consistent success of any team in the country.

5. Phil Fulmer, Tennessee - Would be third our fourth, but I can't help but feel as if Tennessee has been a bit of an underachiever recently when I look back at all the talent vs. the season-to-season records. We're making it back though. SEC Champs '05!

6. Jeff Tedford, California - Cal's turnaround has been tremendous, and Tedford has proven to be a big winner on his own after Oregon fell flat without him.

7. Mark Richt, Georgia - Easily the most consistent threat in the SEC today. Richt contends for division titles no matter what the circumstance.

8. Dan Hawkins, Boise State - Runs one of the three most teams dominant over their conference in the country. Boise State dominates the WAC in the exact same fashion USC dominates the Pac-10 and Oklahoma dominates the Big XII.

9. Bobby Bowden, Florida State - If Bowden can maintain his spot at the top tier of the ACC with the new expansion coming in, he should maintain his spot on this list.

10. Pat Hill, Fresno State - Okay, this one's just for fun. But how can you not like the infamous "Anyone, anywhere, anytime" mentality? Plus, you have to respect anybody that performs like that against ranked opponnents, especially considering they are from the WAC.
[snapback]108861[/snapback]​

You not only moved Tressel down, but out of the top 10?

Originally posted by JohnsonCityVol@Jun 29, 2005 10:57 PM
I hate Michigan with a passion, but I think Lloyd Carr should be on the list.

Funny that the 2 winningest coaches, Bowden and Paterno, aren't on the list or even the just missed section.
[snapback]108893[/snapback]​

I don't see why, since their NC in 1997, Michigan's best record has been 10-2.

10-3
10-2
9-3
8-4
10-3
10-3

Decent success, but they haven't challenged for a NC since then, and most would say they have underacheived all of those years.

In today's game, 4 ten-win season and a 9/8 win season is pretty impressive, imo

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 30, 2005 8:53 PM
In today's game, 4 ten-win season and a 9/8 win season is pretty impressive, imo
[snapback]109092[/snapback]​

For most schools, but every year they've finished lower in the polls than what their preseason rankings were. Shows that they've either been overrated every single year or have underacheived every single year.

Originally posted by GoVolsDogg@Jul 1, 2005 5:10 PM
For most schools, but every year they've finished lower in the polls than what their preseason rankings were. Shows that they've either been overrated every single year or have underacheived every single year.
[snapback]109605[/snapback]​

Just because a team is ranked high in the pre-season doesn't mean that the coaches did a bad job if they still go 10-2 or something along those lines, imo.

We bash pre-season rankings as being meaningless then use it to say coaches under-achieved?

Originally posted by U-T@Jul 3, 2005 7:15 PM
Just because a team is ranked high in the pre-season doesn't mean that the coaches did a bad job if they still go 10-2 or something along those lines, imo.

We bash pre-season rankings as being meaningless then use it to say coaches under-achieved?
[snapback]110009[/snapback]​

I wouldn't use the word "we," if you do then it's cool, but I certainly don't bash the preseason rankings as meaningless.

Michigan has been a non-factor in National championships since they won it in 1997, not saying Carr is doing a bad coaching job but you figure a top 10 coach would have his team in the running a bit more than what Michigan has done. Add in the amount of talent that the Wolverines bring in from year to year and they should figure into a nNC run one of these years.

Michigan also judges by the level of success against Ohio State, as Ohio State does Michigan(see why John Cooper was fired in 2000.) Carr is 1-3 against the Buckeyes since Tressel became coach of the Buckeyes, if his futility continues then you'll start hearing the Michigan boosters calling for his head, that 1 NC in 1997 will be a distant memory if they can't beat Ohio State.

I feel like Mack Brown should be on that list. He has had consistantly good seasons over the past couple of years. And also...he's from Cookeville.

I don't think National Title contention should be the dominant factor on that list. What about the coaches at Boise State and Fresno State? Hawkins dominance over the WAC has been nothing short of extremely impressive, and Fresno State always competes even against ranked teams.

VN Store

Back