Team GPA

SMH man this is why players are reluctant to come to UT. Fans and all care nothing about the players.

Not really......if they decide to not get a degree while they are here. That's on them.

What I do care about is winning games, you are brought here and givin a free education, free apt, and a chance to make millions In 3-4 years to win games.

So.........win games.

Robert Gillespie ‏@UTCoachG

This semester we had the best Team GPA in 12 years, including 46 players over a 3.0! Winning in the classroom! #Proudofthis #Risetothetop

This means our players should be able to comprehend the playbook and understand defensive schemes, in other words ... teachable !

I wish I cared more about how they do in the classroom, but I dont. Just pass the classes and win some games.

That's why some former players say that they feel slighted. They say they're little more than trained monkeys put on the field to entertain fans who don't care what happens to them after they leave the UT with or without a degree. Your post just validated that perception.

Said it before, too many of you have no idea how conceited posts affect players, recruits, and parents who do look into VN periodically.

If it hasn't happened already, sooner or later some rival coach is going to printout and blow up such posts and display them prominently for visiting recruits and parents to see. Such posts are powerful recruiting tool for our opponents. All they have to say is, "This is how you're perceived at the UT. Do you really want to be in a place like that? Do your parents want you there?"

I predict the first proven use of such posts in this way will be none other than Vanderbilt. But if such fans want to give opponents the bullets to load their guns with and shoot us, go ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Great job guys. I'm glad the grades went up. These are young men going to enter the workforce. I hope they all get a degree.

I think this comes from Dooley paying attention to guys with good GPA. I know there's a lot of hate for Dooley here but that was one thing I liked about him. He tried to recruit guys with intelligence.

Reactions: 1 person
I think this comes from Dooley paying attention to guys with good GPA. I know there's a lot of hate for Dooley here but that was one thing I liked about him. He tried to recruit guys with intelligence.

I remember all the academic casualties. Lanier, Patterson, Phillips, Taylor, Bonner, Phillips, and others.

Not sure we can maintain with Wright leaving.

She never had the power to change anyone's grades directly. Grades go directly into the system. You want your grade changed? Talk to your prof. about changing your grade to an 'I' and doing some extra work. Most of the time, if your prof. knows you've been in class and you can convince them you've been trying or have some other legitimate excuse they'll allow this but expect to work twice as hard for them and it's best to do this BEFORE they turn grades in.

She never had the power to change anyone's grades directly. Grades go directly into the system. You want your grade changed? Talk to your prof. about changing your grade to an 'I' and doing some extra work. Most of the time, if your prof. knows you've been in class and you can convince them you've been trying or have some other legitimate excuse they'll allow this but expect to work twice as hard for them and it's best to do this BEFORE they turn grades in.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was joking. I actually had typed "it was tongue in cheek" but I could imagine the replies

I'm very proud of these young men and I hope every player we have works hard and keeps their grades way up.

Only a few will make it to the NFL and even those that do need to be smart men.

This is buTch holding them accountable and the players holding each other accountable and working as a TEAM to help each other in the classroom which will translate to the field in time too.

buTch is building the real TEAM which means...

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

Great work young men, keep it up!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was joking. I actually had typed "it was tongue in cheek" but I could imagine the replies

Sorry it that was the intent. I was serious in the response because I've heard plenty of people actually speculate that she was doing just that.

SMH man this is why players are reluctant to come to UT. Fans and all care nothing about the players.

Do you think this has any impact? We have had more great players come to our school than almost any school in the nation. Do any colleges sell tickets for 100K seats and sell concesions to watch players attend a history lecture? Fans care about the wins on the field as they should. Nothing wrong with that. The fans caring about the product on the field is what provides the free education for the college athletes.

That's why some former players say that they feel slighted. They say they're little more than trained monkeys put on the field to entertain fans who don't care what happens to them after they leave the UT with or without a degree. Your post just validated that perception.

Said it before, too many of you have no idea how conceited posts affect players, recruits, and parents who do look into VN periodically.

If it hasn't happened already, sooner or later some rival coach is going to printout and blow up such posts and display them prominently for visiting recruits and parents to see. Such posts are powerful recruiting tool for our opponents. All they have to say is, "This is how you're perceived at the UT. Do you really want to be in a place like that? Do your parents want you there?"

I predict the first proven use of such posts in this way will be none other than Vanderbilt. But if such fans want to give opponents the bullets to load their guns with and shoot us, go ahead.

No way it has any impact whatsoever.

You must not visit any other team's messageboards.

I'm very proud of these young men and I hope every player we have works hard and keeps their grades way up.

Only a few will make it to the NFL and even those that do need to be smart men.

This is buTch holding them accountable and the players holding each other accountable and working as a TEAM to help each other in the classroom which will translate to the field in time too.

buTch is building the real TEAM which means...

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

Great work young men, keep it up!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Corniest post on VN but strangely I still like it.

VN Store

Back