Teams outside the SEC that you follow

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 11, 2005 2:54 PM
Zona? Think Stoops will resurect the program?
[snapback]112445[/snapback]​

I do. However, the program was in such bad shape that it will take him longer than one might think.

I think he's got the right idea focusing on building a strong all-around defense. It's the best way to get a foothold in the Pac-10. That, and Walter's injury, is how the Cats beat the Devils last season.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 11, 2005 5:20 PM
I think he's got the right idea focusing on building a strong all-around defense. It's the best way to get a foothold in the Pac-10. That, and Walter's injury, is how the Cats beat the Devils last season.
[snapback]112508[/snapback]​

I agree. While they obviously have a tremendous offense, it is USC's defense that has raised them head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

Oregon State's defense did the same last season. The Beavs and Zona are the two most up and coming teams in the Pac, thanks to defensive focus. Riley and Stoops just need to start bringing in a more consistent stream of talent.

Tier 1 - UT
Tier 2 - Pitt (from there originally, grew up following them)
UK (grad. school)
NIU (worked there for 6 years when they were the worst team in the country - 2 years ago they beat Bama at Tuscalooser!)
UAB (current employer)
Tier 3 - Penn St. and West Virginia - due to rivalries with Pitt - nothing like a coal country rivalry.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 11, 2005 7:56 PM
Oregon State's defense did the same last season. The Beavs and Zona are the two most up and coming teams in the Pac, thanks to defensive focus.

Oddly enough, I saw 3 OSU games last year....

LSU, BSU, and California.....in two of those games....OSU's defense looked like D2 calibor. Did I catch them on bad days?

Originally posted by U-T@Jul 11, 2005 9:22 PM
Oddly enough, I saw 3 OSU games last year....

LSU, BSU, and California.....in two of those games....OSU's defense looked like D2 calibor. Did I catch them on bad days?
[snapback]112702[/snapback]​

No. LSU was basically beat by Oregon State and you know it. While OSU's defense did set them apart, I didn't say it was uber-spectacular. Not to mention Cal and Boise State had two of the best offenses in the country last year.

I think BSU had the best offense due to a horrible schedule.

Play a defence that is average in Louisville and what happens? They don't even hit 300 yards?

Play a defense at Arkansas in 2002 and what happens? Barely score 14 points

Originally posted by U-T@Jul 11, 2005 9:27 PM
I think BSU had the best offense due to a horrible schedule.

Play a defence that is average in Louisville and what happens? They don't even hit 300 yards?

Play a defense at Arkansas in 2002 and what happens? Barely score 14 points
[snapback]112709[/snapback]​

Arkansas was also a very good team in '02. They nearly beat the Vols And as for the Liberty Bowl against Louisville...

- Louisville had possession over 7 minutes longer than Boise State
- Five of Boise State's fourteen drives started deep in Louisville territory, with three more starting close to midfield

Basically, Boise State had little opportunity to amass yardage. Nearly 300 yards is good given the situation.

It also was the biggest game for Boise State, which moved up to Division I-A in 1996 and had played its first three bowls on its homefield. But the Broncos finished with 284 yards offense, well below their 511.6-yard average.

Louisville had well over 500 yards.

If not for several stupid turnovers by Louisville, it would have been more for UL and possibly less for BSU

Originally posted by U-T@Jul 12, 2005 8:18 AM
If not for several stupid turnovers by Louisville, it would have been more for UL and possibly less for BSU
[snapback]112791[/snapback]​

Louisville's field position also was not such that they had to drive 20 yards to get a touchdown every time they got the ball. And besides that, what matters for the offensive production is getting points on the board. Boise State put 40 up. And even if you want to be a stickler about it, they returned one INT for a TD. I don't see how one could call 40, or even 33 points a poor performance.

I will give BSU credit...they scored when they got the ball close.

But I saw their drives stall quite hard whenever they didn't get the ball close to the goalline and it looked like a completely different team with an actual fast defense playing against them

We will see how they do against Georgia. I am not stupid; I am wishful that the Broncos will beat Georgia, but I think Georgia will probably win by two scores.

Why anyone would want to see BSU beat UGA is beyond me.

I can't stand some SEC teams but as much as I hate South Carolina....if they played BSU, I would want them to win the game.

I hear enough crap about the SEC not being the best conference and whatnot and an elite SEC team losing to BSU would be a hit to the entire conference

Well, I am not an SEC fan. And I will admit that one could legtimately argue that the SEC is the best conference in the land... I just avoid saying any conference is the best at any time because it's entirely objective.

Anywho, I'm not necesarily a BSU fan, but I view them as the little engine that could. I think it would be great to see a team like BSU get a win over a team like Georgia.

It would not be a good thing for the SEC if Boise State won . . . but I would still giggle a lot.

Milo, I wasn't calling you out but more along the lines of any UF, UT, or UGA fan.

I just dont see it helping us as a whole if BSU won

True. I don't think it will necesarily hurt us that much though. It will hurt Georgia some, but either way I see the voters still realizing that it's Georgia and they have a good program.

Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Minnesota for the same reason MyBloodRunnethOrange liked them, and anyone who is playing against Notre Dame or Michigan. Of course there is Louisville, so Meyer could copy their offense.

I went to Carson-Newman which is a D2 school just outside of knoxville and I keep up with them pretty fanatically. It also helps that they pretty much beat everybody they play. When I was in school we lost two heartbreaker national championship games...still, you can't beat playoff football!

UAB! I received my degree from UAB, so they will always be first in my heart, but I do love UT! (please don't kill me for this...)

VN Store

Back