Tee Martin is getting hosed

The CFL sure is fun to watch. I miss those days when ESPN showed Canadian football. Nothing like a bigger field and a 12th man who can hit the line at full speed to open up the offenses.

If memory serves . . . the field is 110 yards long and somewhat wider than the American field. Also, the end zones are 20 yards deep instead of 10. There are other slight rules differences like 12 men on the field instead of 11, you can score a single by kicking the ball over the end line and also you can run a man in motion toward the line of scrimmage on offense much like they do in Arena ball . . . and, I almost forgot, you only get 3 downs instead of 4, so there's not as much running the ball going on since every series effectively starts with what we would consider 2nd and 10.

Originally posted by volsicle@Jan 12, 2005 7:58 PM
Tee didn't do well with Winnipeg. He never really had a chance. The only former VOL who did well in the CFL was Jermain Copeland. I don't suspect Tee will last long in Winnipeg. Edmonton was looking at Tee for a QB, but apparently he's let it be known he doesn't have a lot of "good feelings" towards the CFL so most teams are looking at him as backup or last ditch. Too bad because from what I've seen of the CFL game, Tee would probably do well here.

He only signed with 4 games left in the season, becuase he was in the last round of cuts for Oakland this year. The CFL starts in June and ends in November. Did you expect him to come in and learn the playbook and take over the starter's role immediately? They signed him so they would have him for the 2005 season. And why would Tee sign for less money in the CFL when he was getting paid more as a backup in the NFL? That is why he was not interested in Edmonton when they owned his rights, he was in the NFL. Winnipeg jumped at the chance to sign Tee. He is one of the highest profile players in the CFL now, former NCAA Championship quarterback, etc. They already had 3 quarterbacks.... they signed Tee anyway.... and traded away their starter, Khari Jones, who had been league MVP a few seasons before.

Yes, Copeland has been on the CFL all-star squad 2 seasons in a row now. Not only is he an all-star in the CFL, he led NFL-Europe in receptions in 2000 and the XFL in receptions in 2001. In not for an injury during training camp with the Dallas Cowboys a few seasons ago, Copeland may still be in the NFL.

However, don't forget about defensive end Jonathan Brown. He hung around the NFL for a few seasons.... was defensive MVP of NFL-Europe in 2000, leading the league in sacks... was selected again as an all-star in NFL-Europe during his 2nd stint there in 2003, 4th in sacks.... He started for Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argos in 2004.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 12, 2005 8:47 PM
Now I wish they'd broadcast it. That sounds awesome.

Some of the regional Fox Sports Channels picked up the CFL in 2004. I expect them to do the same this season. If you have Directv or Dish.... the regional sports package has almost all the channels.

Here is the list from 2004.....

Madison Square Garden Network** - MSG
Fox Sports New York** - FSNY
New England Sports Network - Cable** - NESN
Empire Sports Network- Cable** - EMP
Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia - CSP
Fox Sports Digital Networks - FSDN
Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast - CCSS
Cox Sports TV - COX
America One Television - AO

Here is a link to last season's broadcast schedule in the US.

well i am up in canada.. and was excited to hear that winnipeg signed tee... lets hope he can take some reps next year.. should be fun to watch. and us canuks take our football seriously... ;)

Tee's doesn't have the flashy stats, but he always gets the job done.

Took UT to the national title in '98. Took the Rhein Fire to the World Bowl.

Even in the NFL preseason, he led the Steelers to a possible game winning score against the Colts in Mexico City in the American Bowl. Martin dove into the end zone with 10 seconds left to put Pittsburgh within a 2-point conversion of victory, but running back Pepe Pearson was stopped at the 1 on the conversion try. For the game, Martin was 3-of-7 for 45 yards and had 1 rushing touchdown.

I have a feeling that given a chance, he'll do well in the CFL. Most of the quarterbacks in the CFL were no where near as successful as Martin was in college. The wide open field is also very quarterback friendly... especially if they can scramble some.

I've always seen Tee the same as Shuler. Had the talent to do it. Never had the opportunity to get with the right team.

That's all most QB's need. Just the right time to prove themselves.

And no broadcast of CFL over here. We have FSN. Fox Sports Northwest.

Originally posted by milohimself+Jan 11, 2005 9:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Jan 11, 2005 9:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TNVOLS1@Jan 11, 2005 5:20 PM
Tee Martin was not one of the greatest QB&#39;s to play at UT.

I would say that about every person on the team had to be at least "pretty darn good" in order for their team to win a national championship. [/quote]
Just wanted to say that the milohimself post in regard to Tee was great. All the school symbols of the teams beaten by the Big Orange this year was an impressive post&#33;

CFL is taken seriously up here..i just don&#39;t take it seriously...Milo u really shuold see a game...i&#39;ll have ato get u one some how..

VN Store

Back