Tempered expectations

NickZ4UT

I've seen a lot of folks on here lately talking about doom and gloom or having an unreasonable expectation for this team simply because it's not Dooley coaching this team. Let's be realistic for a moment. We have decent talent but we aren't in a position to compete with the Oregon's or Alabama's of the world and frankly we lag behind a lot of schools in the SEC(albeit not that far). That being said, I saw a disciplined team Saturday that didn't make any glaring mistakes, we had no penalties and we didn't put the ball on the ground. That's about all you can take away from the AP game and its encouraging, does that mean 9 wins? No, but it does seem to indicate that the team is heading in the right direction, which should be good enough to get us bowl eligible and that's all any of us should be worried about. It's going to be fun watching this team progress, that does mean there will be hiccups along the way, but enjoy it because there really isn't anywhere to go but up.

Reactions: 4 people
no penalties and palardy hitting 100% were the two most outstanding positives, imo.

might be indicative of good things to come, but it will be hard to keep perspective while getting curb stomped by OR, UF, AL, et al.

no penalties and palardy hitting 100% were the two most outstanding positives, imo.

might be indicative of good things to come, but it will be hard to keep perspective while getting curb stomped by OR, UF, AL, et al.

It's all a matter of realizing that we don't have that level of talent yet. We are definitely going to drop several games this year on talent gap alone but I wouldn't get discouraged, its just the hand we were dealt after years of mismanagement and incompetence.

Does it matter that Oregon would destroy that MI team, and that Appy St. team would probably beat our current team?

I've seen a lot of folks on here lately talking about doom and gloom or having an unreasonable expectation for this team simply because it's not Dooley coaching this team. Let's be realistic for a moment. We have decent talent but we aren't in a position to compete with the Oregon's or Alabama's of the world and frankly we lag behind a lot of schools in the SEC(albeit not that far). That being said, I saw a disciplined team Saturday that didn't make any glaring mistakes, we had no penalties and we didn't put the ball on the ground. That's about all you can take away from the AP game and its encouraging, does that mean 9 wins? No, but it does seem to indicate that the team is heading in the right direction, which should be good enough to get us bowl eligible and that's all any of us should be worried about. It's going to be fun watching this team progress, that does mean there will be hiccups along the way, but enjoy it because there really isn't anywhere to go but up.

I like having different opinions on here...what a dull place this would be if everyone thought exactly alike!

Reactions: 1 person

^^^ my thoughts exactly

No matter how correct your statements are, be prepared to be crucified.

I'm just a realist, I'm not being negative though, I think this team is moving in the right direction and in a couple of years we might be winning these games annually.

One correction: Alden Hill did fumble and wasn't seen again.

He did but I meant that we didn't make undisciplined decisions that caused turnovers, Worley missed some passes but he didn't make bad decisions on who or when to throw the ball, his problem was chemistry with the receivers, that can be fixed.

I'm just a realist, I'm not being negative though, I think this team is moving in the right direction and in a couple of years we might be winning these games annually.

Sounds like you are right where I am. These people saying we win nine to ten games this year will be the very ones turning on Butch come November.

VN Store

Back