Ten questions going into August

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
It's getting there. We are less than four weeks till August and the beginning of practice. Personally, I'm getting hyped up and cannot wait. So, I devised ten questions, and will answer them to the best of my ability. However, this is a long read. So grab some Chinese, get a cherry coke, and relax in the recliner. The questions are in bold.

1. Who is the Quarterback?

Ah, there is nothing better than not knowing who the Quarterback is going to be. Oh wait, that's a total lie. It seems that Worley has the heads up, but Peterman or the freshman can win the job. It's really anyone's guess.

Worley is getting mixed emotions from Vol fans. I watched Worley in high school. He's a perfect spread QB........if you pass 30 times a game. He's not very mobile and he doesn't have elite arm strength. Peterman makes a lot of sense with his strong arm and running ability, but he just couldn't grab the spot in the Spring. And I don't believe Coach Jones is going to go with Dobbs or Ferguson just yet. Worley or Peterman need to take charge from day one and show that this is their team.

2. Who are the wideouts?

That's just as good of a question as #1. Wideout is probably the one position (maybe other than runningback) where you can afford to be inexperienced as long as you have talent. UT has some talent, especially with the freshman. I really like North and Jenkins. Very talented guys and I think Jenkins can lock down the slot position. While Paul Harris isn't the athletic freak of Da'Rick Rogers, he can be that third down/middle of the field guy that can really give defenses problem.

Devrin Young and Cody Blanc impressed in the spring, but they are inexperienced. Blanc has the size and speed to do damage outside. I'm also curious to see what Vincent Dallas provides. He's shown some promise and has shown steady hands at times, but can he become a reliable target?

3. Can I get some SPEED on D?

This is what I want to see how Dave Lawson has done this year with the workout program. The lack of speed on D, especially the secondary, is flat out disturbing. Tennessee has to get faster in order to be competitive this year. Butch Jones and John Janacek's defensive philosophy reminds me of former UT coordinator John Chavis. Attack teams with speed from sideline to sideline.

I also want to see plays made. Tennessee, for the last ten years, has become a passive football program from the sense of philosophy on the field. UT's D has not created anything. I want to see something coming into this year. Sacks or turnovers. None of this "bend but don't break" crap. General Neyland didn't do that because it's a pansy way of saying "I don't want to get burn." And by having team speed, you can create things on defense and win games.

4. Will Butch Jones understand to run the football?

Because this is as good a year to do it. He committed to the run at Cincinnati, and he'll have to do it at Tennessee if he wants to win in the SEC. Inexperience abounds the passing game. But with two veteran running backs and a offensive line that has the potential to be road graders, UT is going to have to commit to the run. 60/40 seems like a heavy commitment to the run, but that will have to be the case for 2013 if Tennessee wants to score points.

Tennessee has to establish a smash mouth mentality to the run game. You can't half-ass it. That is what burned UT in the past. They didn't fully commit to a certain offensive philosophy. The run game will have to win games for Tennessee this year. Make that your game, let the players embrace it, and you will have success.

5. Looking at the schedule, is there a game UT can make a national splash with and win?

I'm not making predictions, because I am bad at them. But I see potential against Georgia. Georgia does have that very talented offense, but their D is almost brand new from top to bottom. If UT has a successful QB, he'll be comfortable by that time. I can see UT having a good performance from the backs, being able to make Georgia one dimensional on offense, and getting a couple breaks to beat them at Neyland, where Richt has struggled lately.

6. Who will be the offensive breakout player for Tennessee this year?

Pig Howard. I envision him being in the "Percy Harvin" role that Urban Meyer (blech) had for Harvin while they were at Florida. He's going to be in the slot, but he's going to be the guy to get yards by screens and option plays. His open field ability is undeniable. I think he's got a chance to be somebody that can get 200-300 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving if used correctly. Tall task. But I love his potential.

7. Who will be the defensive breakout player for Tennessee this year?

I was high on him when he joined the team in 2011, and I still think he has big time potential. Jordan Williams will play DE, where he is most comfortable, and I love his size/speed combination. He'll get some time this year in both DE spots and my hope is that he can eventually become reliable to hold down a starting spot and put consistent pressure on the quarterback. UT needs a playmaker on the defensive line. Jordan Williams has the ability to be that guy.

8. Can the defense pick up John Janacek's 4-3 scheme quickly?

I sure hope so. I feel bad for the D. Their third coordinator in three years, all with different philosophies, ideas, and strategies completely separate from each other. The defense will have to pick up the 4-3 in August and the first two games, because after those the schedule is brutal. I liked hearing they can react on defense, not think in this defense. They can go out and make plays KNOWING what they are supposed to do, not HOPING they have the right assignment.

I am worried about the secondary, but there is depth and experience in the front seven. I think they can create plays, and they'll have to. I don't trust the secondary this year and sadly believe it's going to be a big weak spot. But if the front seven can get the defense down and create constant pressure, it will help alleviate the back four and their mistakes. It would also help if Curt Maggitt and Brian Randolph can get back to their old selves and soon, no matter how unlikely that is.

9. Has Butch Jones established a new identity?

I've heard it for the last five years. "It's a new Tennessee. The confidence is there. We have the will...blah blah blah." I want to see it in 2013. A good football team is the aggressor against their opponents. That's when you know when the new regime is doing their job. Derek Dooley never accomplished that. Butch Jones has to if he wants to on The Hill for a while.

Tennessee doesn't have the ability to win championships this year, but they can have a championship attitude and championship will. Football is the one sport where attitude and will is so important. Tennessee and this once elite Volunteer football program has not had that in ten years. We have heard excuses for years in Knoxville from players and coaches. Butch Jones cannot let excuses happen this year. Responsibility, despite the past failures, must be accounted for at every position. The last five years won't change. They have no effect on your performance this year. Prove that Tennessee is on its way back.

10. What are reasonable expectations?

Putting a number is always tricky, but anything less than a bowl appearance will be a failure. With three easy out of conference games, UT should win those three. While the start of SEC play is daunting, the back end cools off. Butch Jones, if he is a good coach, will get three SEC wins. But I want to see a solid running game, somebody emerge as the quarterback for 2014, and a new change in the program with good tackling and mistake free football. No more silliness. It's time for Tennessee to start it's back to the top.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 25 people
It's getting there. We are less than four weeks till August and the beginning of practice. Personally, I'm getting hyped up and cannot wait. So, I devised ten questions, and will answer them to the best of my ability. However, this is a long read. So grab some Chinese, get a cherry coke, and relax in the recliner. The questions are in bold.

1. Who is the Quarterback?

Ah, there is nothing better than not knowing who the Quarterback is going to be. Oh wait, that's a total lie. It seems that Worley has the heads up, but Peterman or the freshman can win the job. It's really anyone's guess.

Worley is getting mixed emotions from Vol fans. I watched Worley in high school. He's a perfect spread QB........if you pass 30 times a game. He's not very mobile and he doesn't have elite arm strength. Peterman makes a lot of sense with his strong arm and running ability, but he just couldn't grab the spot in the Spring. And I don't believe Coach Jones is going to go with Dobbs or Ferguson just yet. Worley or Peterman need to take charge from day one and show that this is their team.

2. Who are the wideouts?

That's just as good of a question as #1. Wideout is probably the one position (maybe other than runningback) where you can afford to be inexperienced as long as you have talent. UT has some talent, especially with the freshman. I really like North and Jenkins. Very talented guys and I think Jenkins can lock down the slot position. While Paul Harris isn't the athletic freak of Da'Rick Rogers, he can be that third down/middle of the field guy that can really give defenses problem.

Devrin Young and Cody Blanc impressed in the spring, but they are inexperienced. Blanc has the size and speed to do damage outside. I'm also curious to see what Vincent Dallas provides. He's shown some promise and has shown steady hands at times, but can he become a reliable target?

3. Can I get some SPEED on D?

This is what I want to see how Dave Lawson has done this year with the workout program. The lack of speed on D, especially the secondary, is flat out disturbing. Tennessee has to get faster in order to be competitive this year. Butch Jones and John Janacek's defensive philosophy reminds me of former UT coordinator John Chavis. Attack teams with speed from sideline to sideline.

I also want to see plays made. Tennessee, for the last ten years, has become a passive football program from the sense of philosophy on the field. UT's D has not created anything. I want to see something coming into this year. Sacks or turnovers. None of this "bend but don't break" crap. General Neyland didn't do that because it's a pansy way of saying "I don't want to get burn." And by having team speed, you can create things on defense and win games.

4. Will Butch Jones understand to run the football?

Because this is as good a year to do it. He committed to the run at Cincinnati, and he'll have to do it at Tennessee if he wants to win in the SEC. Inexperience abounds the passing game. But with two veteran running backs and a offensive line that has the potential to be road graders, UT is going to have to commit to the run. 60/40 seems like a heavy commitment to the run, but that will have to be the case for 2013 if Tennessee wants to score points.

Tennessee has to establish a smash mouth mentality to the run game. You can't half-ass it. That is what burned UT in the past. They didn't fully commit to a certain offensive philosophy. The run game will have to win games for Tennessee this year. Make that your game, let the players embrace it, and you will have success.

5. Looking at the schedule, is there a game UT can make a national splash with and win?

I'm not making predictions, because I am bad at them. But I see potential against Georgia. Georgia does have that very talented offense, but their D is almost brand new from top to bottom. If UT has a successful QB, he'll be comfortable by that time. I can see UT having a good performance from the backs, being able to make Georgia one dimensional on offense, and getting a couple breaks to beat them at Neyland, where Richt has struggled lately.

6. Who will be the offensive breakout player for Tennessee this year?

Pig Howard. I envision him being in the "Percy Harvin" role that Urban Meyer (blech) had for Harvin while they were at Florida. He's going to be in the slot, but he's going to be the guy to get yards by screens and option plays. His open field ability is undeniable. I think he's got a chance to be somebody that can get 200-300 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving if used correctly. Tall task. But I love his potential.

7. Who will be the defensive breakout player for Tennessee this year?

I was high on him when he joined the team in 2011, and I still think he has big time potential. Jordan Williams will play DE, where he is most comfortable, and I love his size/speed combination. He'll get some time this year in both DE spots and my hope is that he can eventually become reliable to hold down a starting spot and put consistent pressure on the quarterback. UT needs a playmaker on the defensive line. Jordan Williams has the ability to be that guy.

8. Can the defense pick up John Janacek's 4-3 scheme quickly?

I sure hope so. I feel bad for the D. Their third coordinator in three years, all with different philosophies, ideas, and strategies completely separate from each other. The defense will have to pick up the 4-3 in August and the first two games, because after those the schedule is brutal. I liked hearing they can react on defense, not think in this defense. They can go out and make plays KNOWING what they are supposed to do, not HOPING they have the right assignment.

I am worried about the secondary, but there is depth and experience in the front seven. I think they can create plays, and they'll have to. I don't trust the secondary this year and sadly believe it's going to be a big weak spot. But if the front seven can get the defense down and create constant pressure, it will help alleviate the back four and their mistakes. It would also help if Curt Maggitt and Brian Randolph can get back to their old selves and soon, no matter how unlikely that is.

9. Has Butch Jones established a new identity?

I've heard it for the last five years. "It's a new Tennessee. The confidence is there. We have the will...blah blah blah." I want to see it in 2013. A good football team is the aggressor against their opponents. That's when you know when the new regime is doing their job. Derek Dooley never accomplished that. Butch Jones has to if he wants to on The Hill for a while.

Tennessee doesn't have the ability to win championships this year, but they can have a championship attitude and championship will. Football is the one sport where attitude and will is so important. Tennessee and this once elite Volunteer football program has not had that in ten years. We have heard excuses for years in Knoxville from players and coaches. Butch Jones cannot let excuses happen this year. Responsibility, despite the past failures, must be accounted for at every position. The last five years won't change. They have no effect on your performance this year. Prove that Tennessee is on its way back.

Putting a number is always tricky, but anything less than a bowl appearance will be a failure. With three easy out of conference games, UT should win those three. While the start of SEC play is daunting, the back end cools off. Butch Jones, if he is a good coach, will get three SEC wins. But I want to see a solid running game, somebody emerge as the quarterback for 2014, and a new change in the program with good tackling and mistake free football. No more silliness. It's time for Tennessee to start it's back to the top.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

(1) The q.b. for the first few games will be Worley at starter but Peterman will share time with him against Western, Austin Peay, Oregon & Florida. After the Florida game, Peterman will be the starter.

(2) Jacob Carter will be in the slot, UNTIL a younger, more athletic receiver grows in to the position. Drae
will be one receiver and Crooms will be the other receiver. However; Howard will back Carter up at the slot and once the freshmen get some experience and some confidence, they may replace Crooms & Drae.

(3) No! You will not get speed on the defense this year.

(4) Jones will understand to run the ball, but once we are two touchdowns down and with ten minutes to go in the game, I would suspect that he will throw.

(5) The game that we will NOT be favored to win but will be most likely to win, would be Georgia. Not Florida, Not Alabama and Not Oregon.

(6) Our offensive break out player for this year will be Croom.

(7) Our defensive break out player of the year will be Harris at linebacker. Hopefully, he will remain injury free.

(8) Can the defense pick up the 4 - 3? Heck yeah, they can. They have all played in the 4 - 3, under Justin Wilcox; except for McC, so they will be fine.

(9) No! Butch has NOT established a new identity yet. However; before the season is over, it will be established.

(10) My expectations are: Beat Western, Austin Peay, and South Alabama. Also, win three of the last four games against Missouri, Vandy, Auburn & Kentucky. This will give us a 6 - 6 record and we head to a bowl game. Also, we play a couple of the games that we lose, real close. Maybe lose to Oregon, Florida or Bama by 7 points or less.

Reactions: 1 person
OP, you said Young and Blanc had good Springs but were inexperienced.....but Jenkins is going to lock down the slot?

OP, you said Young and Blanc had good Springs but were inexperienced.....but Jenkins is going to lock down the slot?

Well, I was stating that yes they had good springs, but they are inexperienced so we can't put too much stock into their performance. Jenkins is also inexperienced. I wasn't trying to say that because Young and Blance are inexperienced they won't have a good season.

defensive breakout players had better be mccullers and maggitt.

Why? Maggitt is coming off knee surgery. Thinking he's going to have an All-SEC season is asking for a lot, and McCullers is just as important as Couch or Walls.

defensive breakout players had better be mccullers and maggitt.

I actually agree with this. With Maggit by saying breakout season, I personally don't mean All SEC or ALL American. I just want a solid consistent season, no injuries. I think we'll all agree he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential.

As for McCullers, I think it's coming. He showed flashes last year, especially against UGA. I think Stripling is a good defensive line coach and is gonna get something out of him this year.

Good right up.

I think we need a RB to break out this year. That would really help the QB and passing game.

While I agree that a bowl appearance is an expectation, I don't agree that not getting to a bowl game would be considered a failure. We have 5 top 10 teams on our schedule, which means we have to get 6 victories out of the other 7 games. We won 1 SEC games last season so we have to assume we need to win at least 3 SEC games this season (since we all know the odds of beating Oregon on the road are slim and none). Auburn was terrible last season, but they are more talented than UT right now and with Malzahn now the HC I expect them to be considerably better on offense. We lost to Mizzou last season in Knoxville. We play them on the road this season. Yes, I know, Dooley is gone, but Mizzou also struggled with injuries last season that slowed down their offense, plus they have had a season to get acclimated to the SEC, so they should play better this season. And we lost the great majority of our offensive firepower. And we are yet again transitioning in a new defensive scheme under a new DC. Vandy lost its QB and top RB, and we do get them in Knoxville, but still, they beat the crap out of last season, and return most of their players from that game, and Franklin has recruited well the last 2 seasons. So I'm not penciling that game in as a victory just yet. We should beat UK, but they do have a new coach and there is a lot of excitement in Lexington, and they will be sky high for the Vols. I feel we will win the 3 OOC games other than Oregon as well as UK. After that I think it is a crapshoot this coming season. I do feel we can win 6-7 games this season, but a lot of inexperienced players will have to play well beyond their level of experience for us to do so. I'll be thrilled with a bowl game, but I won't consider it a failure if we don't make one. I just want us to look like we are improving and on the right track.

Reactions: 1 person

While I agree that a bowl appearance is an expectation, I don't agree that not getting to a bowl game would be considered a failure. We have 5 top 10 teams on our schedule, which means we have to get 6 victories out of the other 7 games. We won 1 SEC games last season so we have to assume we need to win at least 3 SEC games this season (since we all know the odds of beating Oregon on the road are slim and none). Auburn was terrible last season, but they are more talented than UT right now and with Malzahn now the HC I expect them to be considerably better on offense. We lost to Mizzou last season in Knoxville. We play them on the road this season. Yes, I know, Dooley is gone, but Mizzou also struggled with injuries last season that slowed down their offense, plus they have had a season to get acclimated to the SEC, so they should play better this season. And we lost the great majority of our offensive firepower. And we are yet again transitioning in a new defensive scheme under a new DC. Vandy lost its QB and top RB, and we do get them in Knoxville, but still, they beat the crap out of last season, and return most of their players from that game, and Franklin has recruited well the last 2 seasons. So I'm not penciling that game in as a victory just yet. We should beat UK, but they do have a new coach and there is a lot of excitement in Lexington, and they will be sky high for the Vols. I feel we will win the 3 OOC games other than Oregon as well as UK. After that I think it is a crapshoot this coming season. I do feel we can win 6-7 games this season, but a lot of inexperienced players will have to play well beyond their level of experience for us to do so. I'll be thrilled with a bowl game, but I won't consider it a failure if we don't make one. I just want us to look like we are improving and on the right track.

I understand your post and do get what you are saying.

However, there is some talent on this team. Ask Coach Jones to beat AP, S. Alabama, WKU, and then 3/4 against Missouri, Auburn, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt, with two of those at home, isn't too much to ask for I believe.

(7) Our defensive break out player of the year will be Harris at linebacker. Hopefully, he will remain injury free.

What is it about Harris that gives you confidence? I hope I'm wrong but I just did not see much from him in the spring practice clips - he just didn't have good form in his tackling nor did he take good angles.

I think he had ACL surgery like Maggitt, but a year earlier. Anyway, again I hope I'm proven wrong.

(1) The q.b. for the first few games will be Worley at starter but Peterman will share time with him against Western, Austin Peay, Oregon & Florida. After the Florida game, Peterman will be the starter.

(2) Jacob Carter will be in the slot, UNTIL a younger, more athletic receiver grows in to the position. Drae
will be one receiver and Crooms will be the other receiver. However; Howard will back Carter up at the slot and once the freshmen get some experience and some confidence, they may replace Crooms & Drae.

(4) Jones will understand to run the ball, but once we are two touchdowns down and with ten minutes to go in the game, I would suspect that he will throw.

(5) The game that we will NOT be favored to win but will be most likely to win, would be Georgia. Not Florida, Not Alabama and Not Oregon.

(8) Can the defense pick up the 4 - 3? Heck yeah, they can. They have all played in the 4 - 3, under Justin Wilcox; except for McC, so they will be fine.

(9) No! Butch has NOT established a new identity yet. However; before the season is over, it will be established.

(10) My expectations are: Beat Western, Austin Peay, and South Alabama. Also, win three of the last four games against Missouri, Vandy, Auburn & Kentucky. This will give us a 6 - 6 record and we head to a bowl game. Also, we play a couple of the games that we lose, real close. Maybe lose to Oregon, Florida or Bama by 7 points or less.

Rather intersting. You say the freshmen will beat out Croom as the season progresses(see #2) yet Croom will be the offensive breakout player of the year (see 6).
How 'bout splainin' that to me cause I don't see how those mesh together.

Sit back and cheer and drink.. Going to be a helluva ride this fall

VN Store

Back