Ten Thoughts (Western Kentucky Game Week Edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
1. Keep Petrino's offense off the field- Tennessee is going to play fast on offense. It's in Butch Jones' DNA and he's not going to slow the pace for anyone, especially game two of his first season against a non-SEC opponent. That means Tennessee will have to have long, sustaining drives. Rajion Neal and Marlin Lane must move the chains, while Justin Worley must make smart decisions with the football. No unnecessary risks on deep throws.

2. Interior Pressure- Bobby Petrino LOVES to attack the middle of the field in a myriad of ways. He uses draws, screens, slants, drag routes, and even on deeper routes; he's the father of the college crossing route. That means getting in the face of QB Brandon Doughty and disrupting his vision. If Daniel McCullers and Daniel Hood (along with Mo Couch) can force Doughty to move outside the pocket, it will ruin the flow of Petrino's route tree and cause bad drives for WKU.

3. Don't bite on play action- With a hell of a run game in RB's Antonio Andrews and Leon Allen, Petrino is going to try and use it. Petrino actually likes using the run to set up the pass. With that comes multiple variances of play action to make big plays. The linebackers have to watch the ball and stay in their assignments, especially since Petrino will attack the middle of the field. Watch to see how deep the linebackers play and if John Jancek tries to stop the run with four man fronts, while using the linebacking crops mainly in pass coverage.

4. Mix coverages in order to create turnovers- Petrino threw 37 times last week, and I would venture to say he wants to go with about 30 passes minimum going into Saturday. That means Jancek needs to disguise and confuse Doughty. Look for zone blitzes, stunts, and new sets Saturday to make plays on defense and give UT the ball back.

5. Defensive player to watch: Brent Brewer- Brewer is going to be very important to help out in the middle of the field as the "Star" linebacker we talked about earlier. He will have to help in the run, and will have to cover the 5-10 yard passing zone Petrino likes to use. Also, he will be largely responsible to help contain dump offs and designed backfield passes.

6. Use your size advantage on the outside- UT has a nice size differential with the wideouts. They can definitely make plays and create mismatches. Worley needs to get the ball up and high for the wideouts to make plays over the corners. I'll be interested to see if Bajikan uses some fade routes in the red zone with North and Croom this week.

7. Get to the second level- UT had a nice performance last week running the ball, but the offensive line did not get to the second level enough. This must change in order to get optimal performance from the offense. Fulton and Bullard must push back the initial rush and get to the linebackers to create bigger holes and give Neal/Lane more room to operate.

8. Offensive player to watch: Brendan Downs- Downs did not have a great game Saturday, but he will be important this week. He can be a viable third down target and with no fullback in the offense, he is crucial to the run game and setting the edge and must have a better blocking game. Look for him on pull plays and outside zone runs. Also, see if Bajakin uses him on drags to give Worley a safety valve.

9. Establish play action- Bajikan and Jones were very vanilla (as expected) against Austin Peay. Western Kentucky is too talented to be basic. They must use the full playbook and the play/run action is going to be a factor. UT needs a solid balance and play action will accomplish this.

10. Don't take this week off- Despite his deplorable morals, Bobby Petrino is a top 10 coach in college football from a strategic perspective. The man can coach offensive football, and he can find mismatches as well as anybody in the country. Tennessee must play hard and efficient for sixty minutes, and cannot get lazy in preparation. The defense must get pressure, and the offense must protect the ball for Tennessee to win.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 17 people
Very good analysis. I agree Brewer will be key in this game because AJ struggles in pass coverage and I'm not sure Sapp will be much better. At least Brewer has coverage experience, so that should help. You are spot on about Petrino and his tendencies. Most people think his offense is all pass, but he uses the run much more than people think. Knile Davis was a 1,400 yd rusher at Arky in P's offense. Great job, OP.

Number 1-10 should be to get pressure and don't bust coverages and let them hang around longer than they should.

Reactions: 2 people
Good stuff as always.

I really think our coaches showed next to nothing on Saturday, while WKU showed their entire hand to beat UK.

Plus, people got after McCullers for an underwhelming performance against AP, but I think it was by design. He's going to be incredibly disruptive on Saturday.

And if Smith and Maggitt are back... Well, I just don't see WKU having any success running the ball, period.

Reactions: 1 person
Deplorable morals... 60% of marriages end in divorce .. so he just happens to use his power to do what 60% of America is doing..lol

Vn loves to talk about everybody else.. I would have taken him as a coach because in a year he will be at a big time school book it.. no one is perfect n make mistakes.

great write up as all ways zjcvols,thanks for the work man and i agree,the Vols had better not be looking forward to the next game and play hard aggressive football,hopefully they can play a "vanilla" game,so UT can keep some strategies saved for the Ducks,it is just hard to say right now,what is going to happen

as all ways Go Vols

Deplorable morals... 60% of marriages end in divorce .. so he just happens to use his power to do what 60% of America is doing..lol

Vn loves to talk about everybody else.. I would have taken him as a coach because in a year he will be at a big time school book it.. no one is perfect n make mistakes.

yes he is a very good coach,but wouldn't you feel just a bit slimy ? :eek:lol:

That's just one example...

Another favorite is leaving his team in the middle of the night and just leaving a goodbye note.

The guy is a POS and only cares about himself. He'd use UT until something else came along a la Lane Kiffin.

Reactions: 5 people

Lying to every boss he's ever had and having an affair with someone he hired and was an employee of the athletic dept go well beyond making a few mistakes and getting divorced. He's not evil like Sandusky, but he's probably one of the lowest on the integrity and character scale.

Reactions: 6 people

Oh, well as long as everybody else is doing it, it's okay then.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes, I know he smokes meth, killed someone and kicks puppies but he's a great football coach. Hire him!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Very good post z, personally I believe we will own the line of scrimmage on both sides. Def will make a statement in this one 45-17
Go vols

Everybody has been talking about offensive scheming with Petrino but I am wondering if WKU is going to load the box with defenders and dare Worley and company to throw the ball to win. If so I guess we will see how efficient our passing game is. What does volnation think???

WKU will load the box after UTs first two drives and then look for pig Howard in the slot to make life miserable. He is a perfect slot wr small, fast and quick a real nightmare for opposing Ds especially one loading the box.
Go vols

great write up as all ways zjcvols,thanks for the work man and i agree,the Vols had better not be looking forward to the next game and play hard aggressive football,hopefully they can play a "vanilla" game,so UT can keep some strategies saved for the Ducks,it is just hard to say right now,what is going to happen
as all ways Go Vols

I just don't think you should **** around with a Bobby Petrino coached team. You play and show everything.

Reactions: 4 people
Everybody has been talking about offensive scheming with Petrino but I am wondering if WKU is going to load the box with defenders and dare Worley and company to throw the ball to win. If so I guess we will see how efficient our passing game is. What does volnation think???

I dont think it'll matter. We'll still cram it down their throat.

Brandon Doughty had some nice numbers last week. He completed 27 of 34 passes against Kentucky for 271 yards.

This game will be ugly in the 3rd quarter or we will have a very long season...Western Kentucky Guys?

Yes Western Kentucky. We are not the same team we were in the 90's. We can't just run through the T and expect to win. We are coming off THREE straight losing seasons. There is 1 SEC game for us that is considered an easy win and the team we are playing Saturday...Western Kentucky...also beat them easily.

VN Store

Back