Tennessee is winning the Natty next year!!

Not to pick nits, but the 1997 national champion is not hotly “debated”.

Michigan won the AP Poll, Nebraska won the Coaches Poll.

There can be a debate over who the better team was, but both won national championships.

It's possible but I think 2025 is more likely. If Heup could just change a few things we could even be a preseason top 5 team. In addition to not playing the young guys, recruiting strategy is what is holding us back from being elite. I have some ideas on how to improve recruiting and I'll post them later this offseason, but I think this portal season and signing day have shown that we still need tweaks in strategy to keep up with the UGAs (HS recruiting) and the Lane Kiffin's (portal) of the world.

It’s in the realm of possibility. The keys are:

Can we effectively replace Mincey and get better left guard play as well?

and

How well does the revamped secondary turn out?

With what we have coming back (mostly Bru and Squirrel, but hopeful for Thornton and Leacock) at wide receiver plus adding ‘Zel and Matthews, there’s reason to feel good about that room. Tight end could well be a strength with Staes coming in as well as a RS Sophomore Ethan Davis. Running backs are more of a question mark than they were last year, but I think Sampson will put in the work to get better in pass pro, and I like what we’ve seen from Cam Seldon. There’s too many solid athletes behind those two not to end up with an at least serviceable number 3 back as well.

On defense, we’re returning a lot on the line, our young edge rushers will have another offseason under their belts, and we should actually have the fantastic depth at linebacker we thought we’d have in ‘23. Pili is a dude, and I’m stoked to see what Telander and Carter look like as sophomores. Some quality depth behind those three too in Herring, Perry, and the incoming freshmen.
Agree with all that. Secondary and Oline are hige question marks though.

Hear me out:

Last time Michigan won a natty was 1997, very hotly contested who was the National Champ between them and Nebraska. But for the sake of my argument, we’re going with Michigan.

1997 Michigan wins but as I said it was very hotly debated contested between them and Nebraska. The next year the BCS started and we won.

This year Michigan won, the FSU got left out which was hotly debated and next year the playoffs are expanding. This can only mean one thing.

Tennessee is winning it all baby!!

The recipe is:

Michigan must win the championship the previous year followed by there being some kinda postseason controversy and there has to be some kind of postseason change in college football. It’s as simple as that lol
The 'realists' are gonna come in here and poop on your parade but I say rock on.We wouldn't be fans if we weren't overly optimistic every now and again.

Why? It's January, there's zero reason to not be excited. Defense improves and we get decent portal OL linemen....it's not that crazy of a thought
We still have a few holes which need to be filled with talent and experience. I do not think we will beat Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida, and Georgia in 2024. with the current roster. If we did do that, we would have to win 3-4 more games of similar talent. I think we may be knocking on the door in 2025 and beyond.

Reactions: Jaxon_Vol2017
If you think about it, college football really just isn't an "out of nowhere" champion kind of sport. Usually you can see a program heading in that direction for several years before they win it. It certainly was that way with Michigan. It was that way with us in the 90's. We have improved but we haven't established that national championship inertia yet.

Agreed. Had we beaten Nebraska that year we would've had a share of the National Championship with Michigan. We were on the cusp, the 1998 team just got it done.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
It’s in the realm of possibility. The keys are:

Can we effectively replace Mincey and get better left guard play as well?

and

How well does the revamped secondary turn out?

With what we have coming back (mostly Bru and Squirrel, but hopeful for Thornton and Leacock) at wide receiver plus adding ‘Zel and Matthews, there’s reason to feel good about that room. Tight end could well be a strength with Staes coming in as well as a RS Sophomore Ethan Davis. Running backs are more of a question mark than they were last year, but I think Sampson will put in the work to get better in pass pro, and I like what we’ve seen from Cam Seldon. There’s too many solid athletes behind those two not to end up with an at least serviceable number 3 back as well.

On defense, we’re returning a lot on the line, our young edge rushers will have another offseason under their belts, and we should actually have the fantastic depth at linebacker we thought we’d have in ‘23. Pili is a dude, and I’m stoked to see what Telander and Carter look like as sophomores. Some quality depth behind those three too in Herring, Perry, and the incoming freshmen.
I think you misunderstood. The keys have nothing to do with that. The keys are will the Gators have a 2 QB system and will we get a couple of young running backs to step up when Sampson inevitably goes down in early October.

The other coincidence that occured with out 98 championship, Florida lost bad to Nebraska in 95, beat FSU in 96 for the Natty. We lost to Nebraska in 97 and beat FSU in 98 for the Natty.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
Hear me out:

Last time Michigan won a natty was 1997, very hotly contested who was the National Champ between them and Nebraska. But for the sake of my argument, we’re going with Michigan.

1997 Michigan wins but as I said it was very hotly debated contested between them and Nebraska. The next year the BCS started and we won.

This year Michigan won, the FSU got left out which was hotly debated and next year the playoffs are expanding. This can only mean one thing.

Tennessee is winning it all baby!!

The recipe is:

Michigan must win the championship the previous year followed by there being some kinda postseason controversy and there has to be some kind of postseason change in college football. It’s as simple as that lol
1704927173892.png

VN Store

Back