Tennessee Traditions

I have been in the Air Force for 21 years and would literally cut off a finger to lead the Vols through the T. So I gotta think there are plenty fellow military guys more deserving than me that would feel the same way. After all, we know the last three words of our national anthem are Go Big Orange!

Lost a arm 30 years ago, just got one, but to run threw the T when we were playing bama i would give the little finger in a heat beat, to many fingers on a hand anyway.:)

You cannot do enough for those who have given us the freedom that no other country in the world has. It would, as someone else has stated, give that soldier and other soldiers that see the honor given, the pride that will last a lifetime!

Go Big Orange!!

I like the fist up thing but I didnt think it would stick to well during the O/W game because it is hard to cheer for your offense to punt. When another team comes to town, I think UT fans will take to this deal!

Traditionally, Tennessee has always had a great kicking game, among the best, if not THE best in the nation. Last season we arguably had the worst kicking game of all major colleges. What ever it takes, we need an upper echelon kicking game.

Are raffles legal in TN now? Been out of state 9 years. I know church's etc would find a way to get around it. Maybe it is with the lottery being legal now. Seems like plenty of other schools would have done raffle stuff (eg be on sideline during a game or do some other tradition) if it were legal to do at a university at most places

Someone would whine about a gun being there! I'm surprised they haven't already... Last year at the GAME DAY show for the FL game some ESPN chick made someone put their sign down because it had Davy Crockett's gun drawn on it. she said it was "too violent looking" & 2 minutes later Lee Corso pulls out the rifle on stage when he picked Tennessee to win. Another example of stupidity in this country & another reason to hate ESPN!

Personally, I can't stand the stupid Crockett outfit. It's a Disney creation. I grew up near Crockett's Tavern and Davy is more Disney created Myth than anything else and probably should be a Texas Mascot more than a Tennessee one. We didn't get the nickname from the Alamo we got it from the War of 1812 at the Battle of New Orleans.

If we want authentic, this is closer to how we looked earning the name File:Battle of New Orleans.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The badazz with the sword is ole hickory.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
i wish they would bring back to post game orgys!

wait, that might have been something else...

How about a kickoff chant....

Like the whole crowd starts with Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

and the moment the kicker makes contact with the ball----Vols! or Big Orange!

I have been in the Air Force for 21 years and would literally cut off a finger to lead the Vols through the T. So I gotta think there are plenty fellow military guys more deserving than me that would feel the same way. After all, we know the last three words of our national anthem are Go Big Orange!

As a former SSgt in the USAF 1966-70 and being stationed overseas for most of that 4 years and 26 days, I truly understand how important ties to home can be. Whether it's family, local teams, simple news etc.

Oregon, under Chip Kelly, started wearing camo fatigues for the spring game as a salute to our military personnel. I love that. Kelly was big on supporting the military. I hope Oregon continues that and that it becomes a tradition.

I think the opening of the T, Smokey, the Tennessee flag are about as perfect as it can be. I am all for the stars and stripes but we have the best intro in all of college football as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back