Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Alabama - 1982

Hey OMG, the editorial cartoonist you mentioned in your post, are you talking about Dan Batey? He had a daily/weekly carton in the Beacon during the late '70's called "Barney and Earl's Guide to Slide Through College." The fictional characters were Barney Purvis and Earl Smoot. They make a return appearance in Batey's cartoon book "Return of the Alumni" with a foreword by Jack Reese published in 1984.

Hey OTV. Would you happen to have copies of these books? Dan Batey was a great friend of mine, and he died this week. The world lost a damn good Vol in Dan. He will be missed by many.

Reactions: OneManGang
Hey OTV. Would you happen to have copies of these books? Dan Batey was a great friend of mine, and he died this week. The world lost a damn good Vol in Dan. He will be missed by many.

Damn, hate to hear of his passing. If you don't mind me asking, had he been sick, or was it something sudden?

The book is full of great cartoons, and it's got a pretty good story to go along with it. I've only got one copy, and believe me, it's a treasured possession. I can get the publisher information; maybe they'll have copies stored away somewhere.

Damn, hate to hear of his passing. If you don't mind me asking, had he been sick, or was it something sudden?

The book is full of great cartoons, and it's got a pretty good story to go along with it. I've only got one copy, and believe me, it's a treasured possession. I can get the publisher information; maybe they'll have copies stored away somewhere.

That would be great if you could find that info. I asked a couple people at the funeral who offered to let me borrow theirs, but I’d like to have some copies of my own.

He had open heart surgery last week to repair a valve. As far as I know there must have been some complications.

Lots of people at the funeral sharing great stories about Dan. I wish I’d known him back in his college days.

That would be great if you could find that info. I asked a couple people at the funeral who offered to let me borrow theirs, but I’d like to have some copies of my own.

He had open heart surgery last week to repair a valve. As far as I know there must have been some complications.

Lots of people at the funeral sharing great stories about Dan. I wish I’d known him back in his college days.

I never met Dan, but reading his book made me feel like I knew him personally. I've probably read it at least a dozen times. Hopefully the publisher will have some copies stored somewhere.

VN Store

Back