Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Auburn - 1985

LOL, I've never heard that rumor. Are you joking or being serious? Because, if you're being serious, I've got a couple close friend who are Bammers............and.........
Ask them, they all say it was just an over serve of bourbon.
Who among us has not been so blasted by the Who Shot John that there are not some blank spaces in our memory?
I, myself have been awakened by some of the ugliest fat women on Earth.
Never by a dude though.
WHOA NELLIE!!

Reactions: OneManGang
Who among us has not been so blasted by the Who Shot John that there are not some blank spaces in our memory?
Never by a dude though.
WHOA NELLIE!!

I saw a female Walmartian (Sasquette) and thought to myself that she must have a pile of arms in her bedroom that would rival a Civil War field hospital.

drove up from tuscaloosa that weekend to join my brother midway up in south endzone (our parents were in Section R) for what i expected to be a chain-smoking game. It was great, beyond belief, what happened to Bo and Pat Dye. It was a rare day to be among rabid vol fans and a brother who relished thevictory as much as I did.

'85 Auburn, Ted Williams, & John Glenn all wrapped up in one story!? Now you're just showing off and going for style points. THANK YOU!

This is my favorite play from that game. John Ward's call is outstanding but I couldn't find it:

Never by a dude though.
WHOA NELLIE!!

......by some of the ugliest fat women on Earth.......I just had some terrible college AM flashbacks..........

The title for this comes from a series in American Heritage in which ordinary people tell of the times they had a hand in an historical event. Two such that come to mind are the story of a family that drove to Washington, DC in 1948. They arrived on Saturday night and then left out early Sunday to do some sighsteeing. They pulled up to the White House and found the gates open so they drove in, parked, and got out. As they strolled around the grounds, they came upon a short fellow in a dapper suit out walking. It was Harry S. Truman. Truman took them on a personal tour of the White House, telling stories of its history and the presidents who had lived there.

The other story involved a young girl who was working in a major department store in Dallas. She was asked to wrap and pack a dressing gown for shipment overseas. It was a gift from the United States to Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II) upon her marriage to Phillip Mountbatten in 1947.

My Brush with History

I guess you could say I sort of backed into politics. I was having a beer in Sam & Andy's with a friend of mine in 1978 when he asked if I was going to a reception for our old basketball coach who (this was a shock to me) had decided to run for county-wide office. So a couple of days later, he and I loaded up and went off to the old Holiday Inn on Merchants Rd.

Coach spotted me from across the room and motioned us over. As we talked he asked what I was doing. I told him I was at UT and majoring in Political Science. He pointed next to him and said, "Stand right there!"

The next day I was at his campaign headquarters on staff as a sort of assistant campaign manager - at 20. I was embarking on a 15-year career as a political consultant - a hired gun. I was reminded of the old "Paladin" series, had some cards made up: Have polls. Will travel.

Long story short, we somehow won and I served in his administration for the next two years. I was a political appointee and therefore not bound by any "non-partisan" strictures. On the side, I worked in gubernatorial and Senatorial campaigns. County government was being reorganized under a new state law and his office was to be folded into a new set up under a County Executive (now County Mayor) and Coach was running for that job. As the campaign went on I was introduced to a friend of the Coach who was a wheel in the 1980 Carter Campaign who recruited me to work for them. The opponent won the election and on Labor Day I was in a jet headed to Austin to become part of the Carter campaign. As political hired guns go, this is about as good as it gets.

Fast forward to 1983. I was driving home from work when I heard on the radio that John Glenn was going to run for the Democratic nomination in 1984 and had opened a campaign office in DC. Understand that one of my earliest memories is sitting on the living room floor of our home in Chattanooga and watching John Glenn launch into orbit from Cape Canaveral. I immediately wanted a slot in his campaign.

The next day I called DC information and got the number for Glenn's headquarters. This Was IT!!!

(none of the names are real)

I called and spoke to delightful young lady named Linda D. I told her my background and laid out my political bona fides.

She was thrilled! "Oh, my God!" she gushed, "You're exactly who we've been looking for! We need someone with experience in the South to head up our efforts there!"

She then informed me that I really needed to speak with a guy named John who was out of the office but would call me the next day. Sure enough he did. I went through the same spiel and he was also quite excited. "Oh, Hell yeah! You're just what we need!" However, he informed me, I really needed to talk to Bob who would call the next day.

Bob did indeed call and we had essentially the same conversation I'd had with John. He then said, "Yeah, but the person you really need to talk to is Linda D."

I thanked the man and hung up.

I was not surprised when it was announced a few months later that Senator Glenn was suspending his campaign and closing his DC headquarters.

Last edited:
My recollection of Bo's exit from the 1985 game is a little different. I recollect a Dale Jones/Bo Jackson head to head collision so severe it split Jones' helmet open. Jones yelled for a replacement helmet and never missed a play. Jackson left the field and did not return the rest of the game. I don't really care what the video shows. That's my recollection and I'm satisfied with it.

My recollection of Bo's exit from the 1985 game is a little different. I recollect a Dale Jones/Bo Jackson head to head collision so severe it split Jones' helmet open. Jones yelled for a replacement helmet and never missed a play. Jackson left the field and did not return the rest of the game. I don't really care what the video shows. That's my recollection and I'm satisfied with it.

So, you're saying that if it didn't happen that way - it should have.

Reactions: SuzyVol
I remember that Auburn game, that Vol defense just hammered Bo all afternoon. Back then there were no penalties for "hitting to hard", as a matter of fact it was encouraged. I used to love watching Coach Majors defensive backs and linebackers tackle, dang they would bring it! Finally, Bo didn't want no mo and took a seat on the sideline. Good times!

I remember that Auburn game, that Vol defense just hammered Bo all afternoon. Back then there were no penalties for "hitting to hard", as a matter of fact it was encouraged. I used to love watching Coach Majors defensive backs and linebackers tackle, dang they would bring it! Finally, Bo didn't want no mo and took a seat on the sideline. Good times!
I'm always forced to bring this up whenever I see the Herschel vs. Bo debate. I never saw Herschel tap out.

I'm always forced to bring this up whenever I see the Herschel vs. Bo debate. I never saw Herschel tap out.
Bo took the licks.
Herschel laid the licks.
Ask Bad Billy Bates.
Nobody but an Auburn fan would ever think Bo was a tougher running back.
Disregarding competition levels, Barry Sanders was better than either.
All are from a different era, ball ain't heavy, 30 straight carries....

Bo took the licks.
Herschel laid the licks.
Ask Bad Billy Bates.
Nobody but an Auburn fan would ever think Bo was a tougher running back.
Disregarding competition levels, Barry Sanders was better than either.
All are from a different era, ball ain't heavy, 30 straight carries....
I consider Barry the greatest pro running back of my lifetime but Herschel the best college one. Two great ones for sure though.

According to Herschel himself, Bates did not have his feet set when Walker collided with him.

I'll butcher the story, but I heard Dallas's head coach tell it (can't remember if it was Switzer or J. Johnson), whoever was HC when Dallas acquired Herschel. It was the first day of training camp and they were going through some team drills in shorts and helmets. Herschel took the hand-off and Bates tackled him to the ground, hard. 'bout every Dallas coach jumped on Bates, how could this free agent do this to the new franchise back? Herschel stepped in, in defense of Bates, told the coaches "he understood," everything would be ok.

Back when I was there, we just sang the, "So Here's to you, Old Tennessee" part. We rest of the words, as I recall went something like, "Da Da Dee Dee Dum Dum Da Da Dee." ect ect. And that was all the singing we did back then. Good Ole Days.
A little off topic here. I come to know the full version of this song after the BasketVols with Bernie and Ernie beat UK one Saturday evening in 1977. Two friends and I got together after the game and decided to sing the Alma Mater the number of times of Bernard King's number, i.e., 53. There might have been some adult beverage made in Tennessee involved. I still know all the words.

Back on topic, the Auburn game of the Sugar Vols year was one of my all-time favorites at Neyland. All the hype before the game was Bo but it was all T-Rob. I bought season tickets the following year and still have them to this day.

VN Store

Back