Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Austin Peay

OneManGang

A learned colleague of mine is fond of saying that he loves the kickoff on opening day as it is generally the only time in a given year when the Vols are undefeated, untied and unscored upon.

The most positive result of Saturday's tilt with the Austin Peay Governors is that the above still holds. The Guvs had several opportunities to score, but came a cropper each time. That said, I believe Austin Peay would have a hard time putting points up against Knoxville Catholic or Fulton.

I got in some trouble last season for suggesting that the only way opponents such as Georgia State should find themselves in Neyland Stadium is if they bought a block of tickets. Georgia State scored thirteen points on the Vols last year. Austin Peay couldn't match that.

Draw your own conclusions.

I was reminded of a tale told in a book that was assigned in Western Civ my freshman year named The White Nile which described the British exploration of the headwaters of that great river during the late 19th Century. (Rumors the book was carved on stone tablets are exaggerated.)

Some king in Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) was a bit “off” as the Brits would say. His life's desire was to see a modern (again, late 1800s) army looked like in action. Therefore he declared war on the British Empire. The British fulfilled his desire in a battle that lasted a couple of hours and resulted in a massacre of the king's soldiers as they charged into the massed fire of .455 Martini-Henry rifles waving spears and leather shields. The king stood on the ramparts of his palace with a smile on his face.

The king's soldiers stood a better chance that the Guvs.

This is in no way a criticism of Austin Peay State University which has, over the years, churned out more than its share of political and economic leaders for Our Fair State. I still have a problem with the AD's of these smaller schools pimping out their players for cash.

And, yes, I DO know that on any given day … yada ... yada ...

So, how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

At some point in the early third quarter, with the Vols up 42-0, the Guvs strung together a couple of running plays and were closing in on the 50 yard line. Some nitwit about five rows in front of me felt the urge to encourage the Lads In Orange, “Step it up, boys! This game ain't over yet!”

I turned to my elder Son & Heir and muttered, “This game was over when Austin Peay got on the bus in Clarksville.”

My son, who takes after his Momma in the brains department, corrected me, “Dad, this thing was over when they signed the contract.”

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!

The plain “vanilla” nature of UT's offense led to speculation that Scottie Mayfield was doing a stint as Offensive Co-ordinator.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up ... PUT ON MORE STEAM!

I heard one of the Vol cheerleaders broke a nail during pre-game, unsure which gender.

4. Protect our kickers, our quaterback, our lead and our ballgame.

The Vols' vaunted offensive line still needs to eat some “Wheaties” on pass plays. The second-team line more so.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle ... THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.

Elder Son & Heir's former team mate Daniel Hood had a Fat Man's dream when he batted a Governor pass in the air and then caught the carom for an interception. The defense shows promise but there were several plays by the Guvs that an SEC opponent would have turned into long gains or points.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

Michael Palardy had a great outing. My issue is that he was the ONLY kicker to see action Saturday as punter or placekicker. To me that puts an awful lot of eggs in one basket considering that twice on kickoffs during the game, Palardy was called on in his safety role as the last layer of defense to stop a Governor returner from breaking a long run. What happens if he gets injured, as he has (I believe) in every season thus far? I also shudder to think that if UT's kickoff coverage team struggled against Austin Peay just what an Oregon or Alabama might do.

7. Carry the fight to Austin Peay and keep it there for sixty minutes.

More like 2:17 in the first Canto, but it was more than enough.

So, fellow devotees of All That Is Orange, the question remains: What do we know now that we didn't know at 5:59 PM Saturday?

Answer: Very little.

We knew at 5:59 that despite Coach Jones' best efforts, this is still very much last year's team. We knew that UT would struggle to put 24 players out there of true SEC-caliber. We knew that Coach Jones would bring quite a bit more intensity and spirit to the team.

Beyond that, well, Tennessee IS 1-0, undefeated, untied and unscored upon.

On a personal note I would like to give a shout out to former Vol Tim Rumsey who played center from 1979-82 and backed up Vol legends Glenn Streno and Lee North. Tim and his lovely bride sat behind me for the 1st half and much of the third quarter before leaving for a reception for the 1982 team featuring Vol legend “Jonathan Jones of MUMford Tennessee.” He is one of those guys who never made headlines but is intensely proud of his status as a Tennessee Letterman. A true VFL!

MAXOMG

Reactions: 30 people
Nicely done, OMG.

There is always that meat-head saying the game isn't over when it's 42-0!

I didn't include this in the OP but there was a PSA during a break in the second half that boasted "Tennessee football players performed 1300 hours of Community Service in 2012 and 92 per cent of those were completely voluntary!

I haven't had a choking fit with "Coca-Cola" coming out of my nose for a long time.

Reactions: 3 people
We do know one thing. ZERO PENALTIES! Even the 2nd and 3rd string guys were focused and disciplined in that regard. That is a huge and significant change!

Reactions: 2 people
The first maxim is the most important. We had NO penalties and ONE turnover. This is amazing especially relative to last year. I don't care if you play St. Mary's Women's College, to have NO penalties is a product of good coaching. If we can play every game with fewer penalties and turnovers than the other team then we will have a successful year. Coaching cannot make your players more talented than the other team's players but it can give your team its best chance to win.

Reactions: 8 people
We knew that UT would struggle to put 24 players out there of true SEC-caliber.

^ am I missing something ?

11 offense + 11 defense + 2 kickers.

My first grade math, though dimly remembered, tells me that is 24,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
OK 26.

In 1998 UT was 2-3 deep at EVERY position with SEC talent. In 2013 they are not not yet ONE deep. By SEC talent I mean players that could START anywhere, including the likes of Alabama, Florida and LSU.

An SEC season is a campaign of attrition. Guys are going to get hurt, guys are going to miss games. Can you honestly say those kids you saw in the second half Saturday are ready to go up against Saban's players?

A learned colleague of mine is fond of saying that he loves the kickoff on opening day as it is generally the only time in a given year when the Vols are undefeated, untied and unscored upon.

The most positive result of Saturday's tilt with the Austin Peay Governors is that the above still holds. The Guvs had several opportunities to score, but came a cropper each time. That said, I believe Austin Peay would have a hard time putting points up against Knoxville Catholic or Fulton.

I got in some trouble last season for suggesting that the only way opponents such as Georgia State should find themselves in Neyland Stadium is if they bought a block of tickets. Georgia State scored thirteen points on the Vols last year. Austin Peay couldn't match that.

Draw your own conclusions.

I was reminded of a tale told in a book that was assigned in Western Civ my freshman year named The White Nile which described the British exploration of the headwaters of that great river during the late 19th Century. (Rumors the book was carved on stone tablets are exaggerated.)

Some king in Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) was a bit “off” as the Brits would say. His life's desire was to see a modern (again, late 1800s) army looked like in action. Therefore he declared war on the British Empire. The British fulfilled his desire in a battle that lasted a couple of hours and resulted in a massacre of the king's soldiers as they charged into the massed fire of .455 Martini-Henry rifles waving spears and leather shields. The king stood on the ramparts of his palace with a smile on his face.

The king's soldiers stood a better chance that the Guvs.

This is in no way a criticism of Austin Peay State University which has, over the years, churned out more than its share of political and economic leaders for Our Fair State. I still have a problem with the AD's of these smaller schools pimping out their players for cash.

And, yes, I DO know that on any given day … yada ... yada ...

So, how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

At some point in the early third quarter, with the Vols up 42-0, the Guvs strung together a couple of running plays and were closing in on the 50 yard line. Some nitwit about five rows in front of me felt the urge to encourage the Lads In Orange, “Step it up, boys! This game ain't over yet!”

I turned to my elder Son & Heir and muttered, “This game was over when Austin Peay got on the bus in Clarksville.”

My son, who takes after his Momma in the brains department, corrected me, “Dad, this thing was over when they signed the contract.”

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!

The plain “vanilla” nature of UT's offense led to speculation that Scottie Mayfield was doing a stint as Offensive Co-ordinator.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up ... PUT ON MORE STEAM!

I heard one of the Vol cheerleaders broke a nail during pre-game, unsure which gender.

4. Protect our kickers, our quaterback, our lead and our ballgame.

The Vols' vaunted offensive line still needs to eat some “Wheaties” on pass plays. The second-team line more so.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle ... THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.

Elder Son & Heir's former team mate Daniel Hood had a Fat Man's dream when he batted a Governor pass in the air and then caught the carom for an interception. The defense shows promise but there were several plays by the Guvs that an SEC opponent would have turned into long gains or points.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

Michael Palardy had a great outing. My issue is that he was the ONLY kicker to see action Saturday as punter or placekicker. To me that puts an awful lot of eggs in one basket considering that twice on kickoffs during the game, Palardy was called on in his safety role as the last layer of defense to stop a Governor returner from breaking a long run. What happens if he gets injured, as he has (I believe) in every season thus far? I also shudder to think that if UT's kickoff coverage team struggled against Austin Peay just what an Oregon or Alabama might do.

7. Carry the fight to Austin Peay and keep it there for sixty minutes.

More like 2:17 in the first Canto, but it was more than enough.

So, fellow devotees of All That Is Orange, the question remains: What do we know now that we didn't know at 5:59 PM Saturday?

Answer: Very little.

We knew at 5:59 that despite Coach Jones' best efforts, this is still very much last year's team. We knew that UT would struggle to put 24 players out there of true SEC-caliber. We knew that Coach Jones would bring quite a bit more intensity and spirit to the team.

Beyond that, well, Tennessee IS 1-0, undefeated, untied and unscored upon.

On a personal note I would like to give a shout out to former Vol Tim Rumsey who played center from 1979-82 and backed up Vol legends Glenn Streno and Lee North. Tim and his lovely bride sat behind me for the 1st half and much of the third quarter before leaving for a reception for the 1982 team featuring Vol legend “Jonathan Jones of MUMford Tennessee.” He is one of those guys who never made headlines but is intensely proud of his status as a Tennessee Letterman. A true VFL!

MAXOMG

Your glass must be half full,huh? Its been a long time since Vol fans had something to cheer about and here you are criticizing and complaining,sounds to me. Yes, we were playing AP and yes we have things we can probably work on, as does every other team in the nation. What do we know....that Vince Dooley is no longer here, and Lane Kiffin hit the trail, and steps in, is Butch Jones, who brings in a real coaching staff and NOT family, to integrate new tactics, that to me, proved to be a class act. You know a coach is only as good as his players, as a crew leader is as good as his crew makes him look. The young Vols are going to be tested with our tough schedule, and we are going to grow from our mistakes. If you think you could have did better, why didn't you apply for the coaching position? To score tds on our first 6 possessions and have a 45 pt lead at the half, well, I think that's pretty dang good, and think Vol Nation is proud of their accomplishments, as I don't think you are. Our true freshmen shut AP down in 2nd half, and that includes AP fr.,soph,jr., and srs. FRESHMEN! Also coach Jones, brought in more fans on home opener, than vince and lane did, so theres more positive to talk about than your negatives. Im dang proud to get a win against anyone, esp., after what we been thru last 3-4 yrs. Lets give Jones, and the team credit where credit is due, and back them, even when they lose, and we probably gonna lose a few games this year, but we are definitely off to a great start, and I, like the rest of Vol Nation,are glad to get a win to start off the season! Good luck Vols!!!! GO BIG ORANGE!!!! P.S..... 1 turnover, and NO PENALTIES!!

I wish it had been Vince Dooley, he actually won SEC games, we obviously had Barbara's son.

Butch Jones has alot of work to do. But, he has the ship righted and I like the direction.

GBO!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I've been with the Vols through seven head coaches and more than forty five seasons. Pardon me if I don't sing hosannas over Saturday's effort against the Governors.

Face it, they were SUPPOSED to beat Austin Peay by forty-plus points. The fact that they did so, I duly noted. Playing teams like that is a sucker's bet. As Jerry Kramer said, "If you win big you look like a bully. If you lose you look like a dummy."

The Guv's packed it in in the 2nd half and, at that, the UT second team, particularly on offense was less than impressive. There was an enormous dropoff between Worley and Peterman and an equal one in the line play. My point is that until that second team is able to play at very nearly the same level as the starters, Tennessee will not be competitive in the SEC.

I saw nothing Saturday that would cause Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier to skip their breakfast on gameday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
OK 26.

In 1998 UT was 2-3 deep at EVERY position with SEC talent. In 2013 they are not not yet ONE deep. By SEC talent I mean players that could START anywhere, including the likes of Alabama, Florida and LSU.

An SEC season is a campaign of attrition. Guys are going to get hurt, guys are going to miss games. Can you honestly say those kids you saw in the second half Saturday are ready to go up against Saban's players?

So, now you're expanding "can't put 24 SEC level players" out to "24, plus everyone else"?

I never can quite figure out the folks that seem to infer negatives into everything-- including a 40+ point first half, penalty free shutout ballgame.

OK 26.

Good posts but I can say that CBJ is in the process of getting us there. Something I could not say for about 8-10 years.

VN Store

Back