Tennessee vs Western Kentucky: play by play (video)

I watched this defensive reel, and here are a few observations about our linebackers.

AJ Johnson - moving faster than last year. Really strong against the run, particularly when it's a sweep. Makes quick reads and takes good angles. But he struggles in pass protection. Seems to be a step behind (or two) the receivers when they run to the flat.

Dontavis Sapp - has difficultly shedding blocks, so struggles some against the run. Played a pretty good game as far as pass coverage goes. Does a good job making contacting with receivers who are dragging across the middle, throwing them off their routes (there's a really good example of this a few plays in).

Brent Brewer - eye discipline is his achillles heel. He gets caught out of position a few times as he's watching the QB and not quickly picking up his assignment.

FWIW...just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 person
4th QT, about 2:35 mark, I think i see a WKU helmet targeting a down Vol RB but it's not called.

Time and again, I see what should be tackles for a loss end up with the ball carrier slipping out of Vols' grasp or tackles just being missed. We can't do this with Oregon as it would a death sentence.

I watched this defensive reel, and here are a few observations about our linebackers.

AJ Johnson - moving faster than last year. Really strong against the run, particularly when it's a sweep. Makes quick reads and takes good angles. But he struggles in pass protection. Seems to be a step behind (or two) the receivers when they run to the flat.

Dontavis Sapp - has difficultly shedding blocks, so struggles some against the run. Played a pretty good game as far as pass coverage goes. Does a good job making contacting with receivers who are dragging across the middle, throwing them off their routes (there's a really good example of this a few plays in).

Brent Brewer - eye discipline is his achillles heel. He gets caught out of position a few times as he's watching the QB and not quickly picking up his assignment.

FWIW...just my thoughts.
are you watching the video above where they run right at AJ and the Blocker always wins? You do see AJ on all the long runs right?

AJ is outa position and misses a lot of tackles. He's not very good at sheding blocks. His lack of speed kills us on pass plays.Petrino attacked him . Oregon will too!

I will choose to disagree with you on this one. I really believe that posters such as yourself think that a player should win EVERY battle on every play and that is just not going to happen in DI football. I think AJ will grade out just fine on this film. Not perfect because there are a few times he is caught out of position on tight end passes and backs out of the back field but that too happens with a good play fake. UT's defense played much better than you guys are giving them credit for.

They may not have the athletes to keep up with Oregon so please prepare yourself for a difficult day. But they may surprise some people too. I think they will be a good (not great) defense. :peace2:

We were under center a lot more than I remember.

since Oregon runs a similar O, but with a much better qb in each phase, and their D is used to practicing against it, I wouldn't be surprised to see us under center often. Running the read option with a qb that won't run but once or twice a game isn't the best way to run it

I love how around the 4:00 mark you can hear the crowd clearly singing Rocky Top at the TOP of their lungs. :dance2: :rock:

WK was blowing some big holes in the line, running wide was not a problem and no pass rush unless we blitzed. Pass defense gets better when there is a pass rush. Not sure the Vols have the players to play a 4 -3. I would like to see them try the 5 -2 and see what happens.

since Oregon runs a similar O, but with a much better qb in each phase, and their D is used to practicing against it, I wouldn't be surprised to see us under center often. Running the read option with a qb that won't run but once or twice a game isn't the best way to run it

WK completely ignored Worley's option in the 2nd half and it appeared that Worley could have made some big yards if he had kept the ball.

I've gone back and forth about including penalties when the play doesn't count. I'll post that play for you later. :hi:

Worley made more nice throws than I remembered when watching live.

Worley threw some bullets but it looked like to me that if the throw was over 30 yds. the WRs had to wait for the ball. Like to see the Vols go to a option/West Coast offense in the passing game for Worley.

Thanks for both of these threads, I spent the day with the family at an amusement park so could only catch the game on my phone!

I laughed when the score jumped from 3-0 to 14-3, and then I cried when I saw Worley passing.

Worley threw some bullets but it looked like to me that if the throw was over 30 yds. the WRs had to wait for the ball. Like to see the Vols go to a option/West Coast offense in the passing game for Worley.

They were all predetermined gives. We didn't run the option this game.

Plenty of the Y-lead plays though. They seem to be a staple so far.

Not sure why all the criticism on the somewhat under thrown ball to Johnson-- The timing was off as Worley had to avoid initial pressure (over left guard I believe). He slid to his right and then threw the ball 50 yards in the air as he was being hit. While a touchdown would have been nice, I think all things considered this was a nice play.

Neal seems like a different runner when he's near the goal-line. If he ran like that all the time he would be a significantly better back.

Merged offense and defense into a single thread so we can have one less sticky.

I will choose to disagree with you on this one. I really believe that posters such as yourself think that a player should win EVERY battle on every play and that is just not going to happen in DI football. I think AJ will grade out just fine on this film. Not perfect because there are a few times he is caught out of position on tight end passes and backs out of the back field but that too happens with a good play fake. UT's defense played much better than you guys are giving them credit for.

They may not have the athletes to keep up with Oregon so please prepare yourself for a difficult day. But they may surprise some people too. I think they will be a good (not great) defense. :peace2:
lol Your saying A guy on all these award watches shouldn't win 50% of his 1 on 1's with WKU? You should blow it up and watch on some of the Long runs how badly he misses the Tackle and Gap. He is a DE playing LB, sorry I love the Guy but he's not Fast enough to be covering any one!

lol Your saying A guy on all these award watches shouldn't win 50% of his 1 on 1's with WKU? You should blow it up and watch on some of the Long runs how badly he misses the Tackle and Gap. He is a DE playing LB, sorry I love the Guy but he's not Fast enough to be covering any one!

The common thread on the long runs seemed to be that WKU ran away from McCullers and ISO'd AJ. In that case, it's Daniel Hood's play to make, and he has to do a better job of feeling the double and not losing leverage. In pass coverage, he sometimes gets beat in the flat, but so do most LBs. That's the price you pay for having a guy in the middle who can also take on offensive linemen. I think he's playing and moving a lot faster than last year, and as he learns how defenses are going to attack him, he'll improve. He had a nice open-field tackle on the RB in the first half on a play that was designed to exploit his supposed lack of coverage ability. Later in the half, he had a switch on a crossing route which he reacted quickly to, but in fact, he overran the play and the receiver lagged behind him. That's just a good play design from Petrino.

Overall, McCullers played well. Couch played really well, and I thought Saulsberry gave some nice reps when he was in there.

On offense, it's clear that there aren't many CBs in D1 that are going to be able to redirect North. On Howard's end around, I'm pretty sure North pancaked the DB, and in general, he had a good game blocking.

The missed 3rd and 1 in the second quarter just looked like a bad play for that situation: it's hard to trap with the guards against a 6-man front. It looked like Worley audibled twice to get into that call or it was just a bust from the OL, but whatever the case, the situation wasn't like in year's past when we haven't been physical enough.

Also was surprised to see Crowder get in the game at left guard for a few snaps in the first half. I don't know why he was in, but it seems like getting meaningful reps for the younger guys is a high priority for this staff.

Thanks for posting these, Freak.

Where can I find that play where the offensive line froze on the dead ball play? I watched the video and its not in there... or I went snowblind for a minute.

VN Store

Back