Tennessees Most Feared Opponent in 2005

Yeah, I just heard the odds from Las Vegas on the radio on the chances of a team becoming the NC. Bama came in 16th..not too shabby..they remind me alot of Ga. this year..remember, when the dog stops barking, thats when you need to start worrying.

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 14, 2005 1:32 PM
If you want to continue backtracking, so be it.

The facts are against you in everyway.

Losing senior QB's does not mean a team loses their competitive nature.

Gee, what year was Greene when he beat us? How many years of experience did he have?

How many years of experience did Ainge have beating UT?

Come on, get a clue.
[snapback]103819[/snapback]​

How many years of experieince did Ainge have beating UT? Did you mean beating Georgia? 0 years but he was the needle in the haystack. Freshman QB's don't play like that very often. And nothing in life automatically means anything else, but you got to play the %. Greene was a great QB and the one of the exceptions. You ever heard cut off the head and the snake will die, well I think the QB is the head of the team. And you are right Georgia does have alot of skilled players left but the % says replacing a senior QB lots of times has a negative effect on a team. That's all I am trying to say. If Shockley plays good Georgia will be a very tough team, but I don't think Shockley is that good. Therefore I think we will put it to Georgia pretty good and it won't be a competive game. Regardless I am tired of arguing with you, and we should just agree to disagree.

The game I'm most afraid of is the game in Tuscaloosa. Brodie Croyle will be back and they will be very determined to hand us a loss. The past two years we have beaten them, but haven't really outplayed them the way we should. They also have one of the SEC's, and nation's top defenses, as well as a solid running game.
[snapback]103822[/snapback]​
[/quot

Alabama was as tough as a $2 steak last year. If Payrls Harlyson dosen't run in that fumble to start the game we very well could have lost. Did alabama lose anybody off of that Defense last year?

I don't think Shockley is your average replacement though. He saw a lot more meaningful action than just about any backup QB that you'll ever see. Even when Greene was the established starter and going good, Shockley got into most games in the first half as a change of pace.

QB is the least of UGA's concerns. They lost a ton on defense to graduation/disciplinary attrition.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 14, 2005 2:03 PM
I don't think Shockley is your average replacement though.  He saw a lot more meaningful action than just about any backup QB that you'll ever see.  Even when Greene was the established starter and going good, Shockley got into most games in the first half as a change of pace.

QB is the least of UGA's concerns.  They lost a ton on defense to graduation/disciplinary attrition.
[snapback]103836[/snapback]​

They lost on Greene, Gibson, and Brown on OFF, and Davis and Pollack on DEF. Who am I leaving out?

Yeah - Odell Thurman and they've kicked two other LBs off the team in the last month. It also seems like they may have lost another d-lineman somehow.

Well, to hear the Georgia fans talk, they think they are next National Champions and Shockley is the next Tee Martin. I heard it verbalized at a wedding this past weekend.

I hate living in Georgia...if only for the fact that I have to listen to this constant nonsense.

Honestly, we have the hardest schedule we could possibly have this year and the back to back combo of FL and LSU away games is the biggest threat. :(

RockyTop, didn't you hear?

LSU fans say they "easily will take apart the SEC" for the next few years per friends of mine down here.

I think many of the top teams say that every year.

UF is going for their 10th consecutive East Pre-Season Title per GatorCountry

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 14, 2005 3:34 PM
RockyTop, didn't you hear?

LSU fans say they "easily will take apart the SEC" for the next few years per friends of mine down here.

I think many of the top teams say that every year.

UF is going for their 10th consecutive East Pre-Season Title per GatorCountry
[snapback]103869[/snapback]​

HAHAH - agreed U-T.

However, my husband is an LSU fan and he doesn't see it that way. He's running pretty scared about the TN game and hates to think his team may have to play us twice (SEC champrionship). He is a level headed fan and understands that it will be a tough competition between LSU and Bama for SEC West bragging rights.

Originally posted by Give him SIX!@Jun 14, 2005 2:01 PM
[
Alabama was as tough as a $2 steak last year.  If Payrls Harlyson dosen't run in that fumble to start the game we very well could have lost. Did alabama lose anybody off of that Defense last year?
[snapback]103834[/snapback]​

Not that I'm taking Bama lightly but I get tired of hearing how if that play didn't happen, then Bama likely would have won.

Don't forget that on Bama's only TD drive, Tony Brown batted a pass around that he should have caught long enough for a Bama defender to intercept it and gave them great field position. Had Brown caught it, we likely would've kept the drive alive. If that play hadn't happened....

Don't forget that we crammed the ball down their throat and on 3rd and goal made a bad decision to throw and even worse to throw into coverage. If we had run the ball.... Or if Ainge threw it away...

Don't forget that after that play, Fulmer let the air out of the ball. If he'd have kept the heat on....

Don't forget that the drive after the fumble recovery, a Bama runner fumbled but was ruled down by contact. Replay shows the ball came out. We would have had the ball on the 25. If the refs made the right call...

I'm not dogging on you, just tired of hearing the "if" game. As you might imagine, I've had this conversation many times with Bammers who believe they dominated all but 1 minute of the game and surely would have won IF!

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 14, 2005 7:38 AM
That goes with any game against UGA, UF, or LSU.

Last year, I thought UGA was much more talented then UGA yet UT was better prepared and of course a very talented team.

In 2005, I think the roles are reversed as UT is much more talented. If UT is better prepared, we win easily. If not (as shown in 2003), we will get beaten.
[snapback]103734[/snapback]​

I believe Georgia was too poorly prepared for last year's game. They were 20x more worried about LSU the week before, so they overprepared for them and underprepared for us, because we were expected to have what, a 7-win season? Eight wins maybe? Not to mention the game was at UGA. They had enough talent that they could have humiliated us if they were better prepared.

Seems we are in UGA's role this year... Hopefully we can avoid getting blindsided like they did last year.

Originally posted by Give him SIX!@Jun 14, 2005 8:33 AM
Me too Lady in Orange.  And to make it worse I live in New Mexico right now and can't get a lot of the TN games that are on TV.  CBS will air Air Force vs New Mexico St here when they got Tennessee vs Georgia on the east coast.  So I listen to alot of the games over the internet and not being able to see what is going on puts me on pins and needles.
[snapback]103749[/snapback]​

Tell me about it... I was dropping bricks during Kentucky and Vanderbilt last season.

Originally posted by Give him SIX!@Jun 14, 2005 9:56 AM
That was never my logic at all.  Let me check some stats here because they don't show any bias at all and will show that before Greene arrived at Georgia that they weren't very competive.  We enter 2000 with a 9 game win streak against Georgia.  Enter David Greene in 2001 added with the loss in 2000 and 3 years later we had a 4 game losing streak to Georgia.  Now that Greene is gone I am saying UGA won't compete in the sense that they they have the ability to stay with us for 4 quarters.  And on top of Greene leaving they lose All-World DE Pollack, plus Gibson and Brown.  So yes I am saying that Georgia will sturggle and won't be competive with us for another 9 years or so (hopefully).  And to answer your alligation that I was one of the people that thought we weren't going to compete last year.  As a diehard TN fan I always have concerns about our team every year but I kept faith that we would work out the problem of Casey leaving and somehow we plugged in Ainge who played out of his mind as a true freshman.  Now lets see how Georgia responds to losing a butt load of leadership at the most important position on the field.  I am sure that the diehard Georgia fans are keeping fatih that Shockley or the 4star freshman they recruited last year will bring them through it, just as TN fans held there breath last year depending on a true freshman, but I think another long TN winning streak in on the horizon.
[snapback]103782[/snapback]​

There's a reason some say Richt has the Dawgs on autopilot. The man's got a steady stream of top talent in the state and even on a national level, a great coaching staff and a yearbook to handle anybody. As long as Richt keeps things going, there's no reason not to fear him every time Tennessee and Georgia play. I personally put him along with some of the best coaches in the country.

Originally posted by cookeville_vol@Jun 14, 2005 11:36 AM
The game I'm most afraid of is the game in Tuscaloosa. Brodie Croyle will be back and they will be very determined to hand us a loss. The past two years we have beaten them, but haven't really outplayed them the way we should. They also have one of the SEC's, and nation's top defenses, as well as a solid running game.
[snapback]103822[/snapback]​

Yes. While we poke fun at the Bammers for their complaints about injury, fact is they would have been a whole lot tougher to deal with last year than they were. They could have beat us, and heck, maybe Auburn as well. The Bama defense is gonna be something mean and they should actually be running a competent offense this year. Look for Bama to make a run at the West title next season.

Notre Dame, because if Tennessee loses to them two years in a row, the University should get rid of the football program.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 14, 2005 12:03 PM
I don't think Shockley is your average replacement though.  He saw a lot more meaningful action than just about any backup QB that you'll ever see.  Even when Greene was the established starter and going good, Shockley got into most games in the first half as a change of pace.

QB is the least of UGA's concerns.  They lost a ton on defense to graduation/disciplinary attrition.
[snapback]103836[/snapback]​

This is where I think a lot of UGA's strength lies -- The recruiting. I believe Richt has pulled down enough talent to keep restocking as much as he likes. No names we know yet, but names we may very well come to know. I am just glad we get to play them at Neyland next season.

Milo, sometimes I think you have read my mind.

Other times, I think you have lost your mind.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 14, 2005 6:08 PM
This is where I think a lot of UGA's strength lies -- The recruiting. I believe Richt has pulled down enough talent to keep restocking as much as he likes. No names we know yet, but names we may very well come to know. I am just glad we get to play them at Neyland next season.
[snapback]103926[/snapback]​

Good point Milo. Recruiting is where Richt has improved the UGA program the most. Georgia is loaded with good high school football and Richt has done a great job of keeping the in state talent at home.

VN Store

Back