Tennessee's offensive line

VolFan4Life87

Negatron
Everyone keeps saying UT has one of the best offensive lines in the country and cites this as a reason for unexpected success in the 2013 season. While I don't mean to take anything away from the o-line, what data is everyone going off of to make such assertions? That they're experienced? This definitely helps, but is not criteria alone for success.

I've seen that UT only gave up 8 sacks all of last season, which places the o-line in the FBS top 5 in that category, but I can remember multiple times where defenders were in Bray's face and he got rid of the ball. In fact, Bray didn't hang around in the pocket too long most of last season, perhaps out of fear of getting injured again. IMO, that number has a lot to do with Bray getting rid of the ball quickly.

Also, last year's running game was mediocre. This is a fault shared by both the RB's and the o-line. The o-line drastically improved over years past with their ability to open up holes, but they're still not getting any second-level defenders locked down. With what could be a mediocre passing game next year without Bray, and an o-line/rb corps that has also been mediocre in the run game, the offense could be pretty stagnant next year. Couple this with a new offensive scheme, which if it looks anything like the spring game - consists of the qb rolling out of the pocket all the time and the o-line protecting on the move, I definitely fear a lack of offensive productivity.

With the return to the 4-3 and the loss of so many key weapons on offense, I have before and continue to predict this season to be similar to 2010 where our success hinges more on our defensive play.

Flame away.

Everyone keeps saying UT has one of the best offensive lines in the country and cites this as a reason for unexpected success in the 2013 season. While I don't mean to take anything away from the o-line, what data is everyone going off of to make such assertions? That they're experienced? This definitely helps, but is not criteria alone for success.

I've seen that UT only gave up 8 sacks all of last season, which places the o-line in the FBS top 5 in that category, but I can remember multiple times where defenders were in Bray's face and he got rid of the ball. In fact, Bray didn't hang around in the pocket too long most of last season, perhaps out of fear of getting injured again. IMO, that number has a lot to do with Bray getting rid of the ball quickly.

Also, last year's running game was mediocre. This is a fault shared by both the RB's and the o-line. The o-line drastically improved over years past with their ability to open up holes, but they're still not getting any second-level defenders locked down. With what could be a mediocre passing game next year without Bray, and an o-line/rb corps that has also been mediocre in the run game, the offense could be pretty stagnant next year. Couple this with a new offensive scheme, which if it looks anything like the spring game - consists of the qb rolling out of the pocket all the time and the o-line protecting on the move, I definitely fear a lack of offensive productivity.

With the return to the 4-3 and the loss of so many key weapons on offense, I have before and continue to predict this season to be similar to 2010 where our success hinges more on our defensive play.

Flame away.
what does last years team have to do with how we play in 2013? its a new system, not as many long balls, lots of screens, lots of short routes, lots of tight end crossing routes. we ran for 160-170 yards a game last yr on average ( mid pack nationally, 7th or 8th in SEC)and that was with zero commitment to the run game. we werent bad running the ball. i think it will be better this year. But i do agree we will need the Defense in a big way.

what does last years team have to do with how we play in 2013? its a new system, not as many long balls, lots of screens, lots of short routes, lots of tight end crossing routes. we ran for 160-170 yards a game last yr on average ( mid pack nationally, 7th or 8th in SEC)and that was with zero commitment to the run game. we werent bad running the ball. i think it will be better this year. But i do agree we will need the Defense in a big way.

From what I've seen, the o-line's strength is heels dug in, pass protecting. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but with our offensive scheme being more "mobile" I have concerns over the o-line's ability to protect and pick up defenders. In the spring game, the D-line was in the backfield all day. Now I know that's just the spring game [insert that's just the spring game argument here], but still that's all we have to go on right now.

They're pretty good in pass protection. 4 sacks last year or something like that? That said, I don't think they are maulers like you need for a step-on-your-face running game.

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee's line is pretty fantastic in pass protection. It took opposing defenses bringing the house or cooking up really exotic blitzes to get close to Bray. I can't recall many instances where defenses got pressure with just their front fours.

But the run game leaves something to be desired. UT's O-line is simply better moving backward than forward.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee's line is pretty fantastic in pass protection. It took opposing defenses bringing the house or cooking up really exotic blitzes to get close to Bray. I can't recall many instances where defenses got pressure with just their front fours.

But the run game leaves something to be desired. UT's O-line is simply better moving backward than forward.

Yeah I agree with this as well.

Hopefully they got nasty over the off season. Potential is there for some huge improvements in the run game blocking.

I hope they can get back to where they used to be upfront on the O-line.The last 4 seasons our run blocking has been horrible.They need to have an attitude or play with a chip on their shoulder.Maybe that will help their run blocking.

They're pretty good in pass protection. 4 sacks last year or something like that? That said, I don't think they are maulers like you need for a step-on-your-face running game.

That is how they need to be.It's like they are afraid of contact.

I really don't think they have been given this chance. Unfortunately, I don't know if they will be given a chance with this new offense either.

Flame away.

Mediocre? Neal, Lane and Young (not a stud group) averaged over 4 yards. Chaney never was dedicated to running and when your team is constantly behind a TD, when do you have time to set up a run game? I used to think they were great pass blockers and that's it but the more I think about it the more obvious they weren't that bad at run... and the pass blocking may not have been perfect and it won't be at all this year... but Bray (who could be elusive) isn't a mobile QB which can hurt the OL.

I believe the line allowed the 4th fewest sacks last year, the fewest among BCS conference schools. Whenever we have gone to the running game, this group of linemen has pushed some good defenses around. Think about it. How often have they gotten the chance to salt one away in the fourth quarter with the running game?

I expect a more balanced offense this year, and the offensive line will wear some good defensive fronts out. Mark this one.

They do seem to be better at pass protection, but is this a bad thing? I think having a new QB it is great because they will have lots of time to make the right throw which in turn will set up our running game.

Wait, you say the run game was marginal but Rajion Neal had a 4.54 avg per rush and Marlin Lane had 5.48 rushing avg. These aren't marginal stats. You must agree (You must, You must) (Love me some Blazing Saddles) that Chaney was so much more into the pass. We gave up on the run so many times last year. I think we will have an very good run game this year if our backs are healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
CBJ has already said we are going to be a run first team. That alone is a big philosophy shift and should make for a better running game. We just have to be able to pass enough to keep the defense honest so we don't see 8 in the box all game long.

Wait, you say the run game was marginal but Rajion Neal had a 4.54 avg per rush and Marlin Lane had 5.48 rushing avg. These aren't marginal stats. You must agree (You must, You must) (Love me some Blazing Saddles) that Chaney was so much more into the pass. We gave up on the run so many times last year. I think we will have an very good run game this year if our backs are healthy.

Those stats were good enough for Lane to rank 66th in the country in YPC, while Neal came in at 166th. They also only had 7 TDs and a long run of 45 yards between them.

CBJ has already said we are going to be a run first team. That alone is a big philosophy shift and should make for a better running game. We just have to be able to pass enough to keep the defense honest so we don't see 8 in the box all game long.

The heavy use of bubble screens will offset that 8-in-the-box mentality, while giving the new QB high % throws. If opposing defenses camp with 8 in the box, and our WRs can block, there will be a lot of open space on the outside for big gains.

The heavy use of bubble screens will offset that 8-in-the-box mentality, while giving the new QB high % throws. If opposing defenses camp with 8 in the box, and our WRs can block, there will be a lot of open space on the outside for big gains.

Not if the other team has LBs that can run sideline-to-sideline. The only way to get a fast defense to leave the box is to show that you're a threat to go deep. Bubble screens aren't going to do it.

Not if the other team has LBs that can run sideline-to-sideline. The only way to get a fast defense to leave the box is to show that you're a threat to go deep. Bubble screens aren't going to do it.

Depends on the agressiveness of that particular defense. If you're blitzing every play, screens will kill you easily. This always depends on the situation.

Depends on the agressiveness of that particular defense. If you're blitzing every play, screens will kill you easily. This always depends on the situation.

If you are loading the box to stop the run, then you probably aren't going to be blitzing every play because you are expecting more runs than passes. Play-action would be more effective than bubble screens in that instance.

Those stats were good enough for Lane to rank 66th in the country in YPC, while Neal came in at 166th. They also only had 7 TDs and a long run of 45 yards between them.

Neal was injured while Lane was not used very frequently at the beginning of the season. Also CP used in the run game quite frequently as well. All of the stats reflect the scheme of Chaney which at times was mind-boggling when we were gaining first down after first and then all of a sudden go 3 and out passing. Many of the long runs are indicative of WR BLOCKING in the secondary which Hunter and CP never did.

Neal was injured while Lane was not used very frequently at the beginning of the season. Also CP used in the run game quite frequently as well. All of the stats reflect the scheme of Chaney which at times was mind-boggling when we were gaining first down after first and then all of a sudden go 3 and out passing. Many of the long runs are indicative of WR BLOCKING in the secondary which Hunter and CP never did.

I agree with all of that. Doesn't really change how UT's line has looked when run blocking the past couple of years.

If you are loading the box to stop the run, then you probably aren't going to be blitzing every play because you are expecting more runs than passes. Play-action would be more effective than bubble screens in that instance.

I can agree with play action over the bubble screen everytime. You can blitz on a run play to make sure a hole is filled, or there's a wide open lane. Depends on the coordinator at that point. People always overgeneralize the strategy of football. It depends on so much, not even you or I can predict it.

Mediocre? Neal, Lane and Young (not a stud group) averaged over 4 yards. Chaney never was dedicated to running and when your team is constantly behind a TD, when do you have time to set up a run game? I used to think they were great pass blockers and that's it but the more I think about it the more obvious they weren't that bad at run... and the pass blocking may not have been perfect and it won't be at all this year... but Bray (who could be elusive) isn't a mobile QB which can hurt the OL.

The running game always opens up the passing game. Tennessee's offense became too predictable as games progressed, because Chaney REFUSED to solidify the running game into the game plan. You do bring up a solid point that the offensive line, and the entire team for that matter, would benefit from having a mobile QB. However, unless Dobbs becomes more of a scrambler, having a mobile QB at UT isn't in the cards for the next few seasons.

VN Store

Back