Tennessee's offensive line

For you younger guys here's what a nasty o-line looks like. 1994, UT had just lost to UCLA the Saturday before and had to go to UGA the next week. The starting qb, Jerry Colquitt, was lost on the opening drive against UCLA and UT nearly pulled it off with Helton, Manning, and Stewart sharing snaps.

Against UGA, UT leaned on the running game and UT just crushed the Dawgs. Check it out:

Tennessee 41 Georgia 23 1994 (Vol Network John Ward) - YouTube

Reactions: 1 person
The Vols scoring success will depend on how well the O Line is able to transition to run blocking. This O Line must be challenged to move defensive linemen out of the way to provide running lanes as well as pass blocking. I'm still wating to see if our O Line is up to the task.....we'll know very soon....it would be nice to see some smash mouth football at UT.

From what I've seen, the o-line's strength is heels dug in, pass protecting. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but with our offensive scheme being more "mobile" I have concerns over the o-line's ability to protect and pick up defenders. In the spring game, the D-line was in the backfield all day. Now I know that's just the spring game [insert that's just the spring game argument here], but still that's all we have to go on right now.

Correct, this OL must prove that they can indeed play smash mouth, move em out, big push, something they couldn't do last year, even in very short yardage situations.

Everyone keeps saying UT has one of the best offensive lines in the country and cites this as a reason for unexpected success in the 2013 season. While I don't mean to take anything away from the o-line, what data is everyone going off of to make such assertions? That they're experienced? This definitely helps, but is not criteria alone for success.

I've seen that UT only gave up 8 sacks all of last season, which places the o-line in the FBS top 5 in that category, but I can remember multiple times where defenders were in Bray's face and he got rid of the ball. In fact, Bray didn't hang around in the pocket too long most of last season, perhaps out of fear of getting injured again. IMO, that number has a lot to do with Bray getting rid of the ball quickly.

Also, last year's running game was mediocre. This is a fault shared by both the RB's and the o-line. The o-line drastically improved over years past with their ability to open up holes, but they're still not getting any second-level defenders locked down. With what could be a mediocre passing game next year without Bray, and an o-line/rb corps that has also been mediocre in the run game, the offense could be pretty stagnant next year. Couple this with a new offensive scheme, which if it looks anything like the spring game - consists of the qb rolling out of the pocket all the time and the o-line protecting on the move, I definitely fear a lack of offensive productivity.

With the return to the 4-3 and the loss of so many key weapons on offense, I have before and continue to predict this season to be similar to 2010 where our success hinges more on our defensive play.

Flame away.

I have to agree with you. This will be the same OL and RB's as last year....and they couldn't compete with ANY SEC defense running the football....I see more of the same this year. I'm not at all sold on this OL or RB's. If we win more than 4-5 games I'll be extremely suprised! With that said, I always hope I'm wrong.

For you younger guys here's what a nasty o-line looks like. 1994, UT had just lost to UCLA the Saturday before and had to go to UGA the next week. The starting qb, Jerry Colquitt, was lost on the opening drive against UCLA and UT nearly pulled it off with Helton, Manning, and Stewart sharing snaps.

Against UGA, UT leaned on the running game and UT just crushed the Dawgs. Check it out:

Tennessee 41 Georgia 23 1994 (Vol Network John Ward) - YouTube

lol at Will Muschamp at SS for the dogs.

Reactions: 1 person
Drastic improvement over prior year, lots of games together and tons of snaps. Great chemistry as well. Oh yeah Tiny!!

VN Store

Back