Tennis @ 2012 Olympics (Unofficial) Thread

What's the field?

That link has a link that it says is to show the grass, but it doesn't show Centre Court. Huh?

Fed has a gorgeous draw. Almost not even fair.

Fed's draw:
First round: not losing
Second round: not losing
Third round: not losing
Quarters: not losing
Semis: Delpo or Ferrer == probably not losing on grass

Djoker's draw:
First round: not losing
Second round: Roddick (puncher's chance)
Third round: Marin Cilic (puncher's chance)
Quarters: Tsonga or Raonic (jesus tittyfocking..)
Semis: Murray or Berdych

Who made this draw, Mirka?

Honestly haven't kept up with any pre-Olympics tennis hype since W.

(1) No question Federer has an easy draw. Best two of three sets could be a problem as RF has been a slow starter in recent matches. Especially against Alexandro Falla, whom he faces in the 1st round. Falla had RF down 2 sets to 0 at W in 2010. Potential 2nd round matchup against Julian Benneteau, you'll recall had RF down 2 sets and even points away from a loss at this year's W. Falla also took Isner out of W this year.

(2) At the beginning of the season, RF said he wanted the Olympic singles gold medal badly. He said he wanted it more than he wanted another slam title. I would say he is highly motivated. On the grass, he should be the favorite especially with that mindset.

(3) Murray can redeem himself by winning the gold medal on the grass for Great Britain. Wouldn't be the same as winning W, but would make for a great feel good story.

(4) Djokovic's level is a big question mark. I think he is suffering from a 2011 hangover. His level is still tremendous and there is some frustration I think from the fact that he hasn't replicated 2011 this year. Which is an impossible ask.

(5) I hate that Nadal is injured and not in the mix. Whether a fan or not, it is unquestionably different when any one of the top 3 are absent from such a huge stage.

(6) Above all else I am looking forward to seeing the colored uniforms on the grass at Wimbledon. It'll be almost like seeing Peyton Manning in a Broncos uniform for the first time.

Honestly haven't kept up with any pre-Olympics tennis hype since W.

(1) No question Federer has an easy draw. Best two of three sets could be a problem as RF has been a slow starter in recent matches. Especially against Alexandro Falla, whom he faces in the 1st round. Falla had RF down 2 sets to 0 at W in 2010. Potential 2nd round matchup against Julian Benneteau, you'll recall had RF down 2 sets and even points away from a loss at this year's W. Falla also took Isner out of W this year.

I didn't remember that Falla had him down in 2010. I do remember the Benneteau match -- I believe that was the match where I nearly had a heart attack -- but I'm chalking that performance up to the back issues that he was experiencing in the middle rounds.

But I do agree with your underlying point. There is no question that the best 2 out of 3 set format makes upsets more likely all across the board

(2) At the beginning of the season, RF said he wanted the Olympic singles gold medal badly. He said he wanted it more than he wanted another slam title. I would say he is highly motivated. On the grass, he should be the favorite especially with that mindset.

On top of that, he is going to be playing with a great deal of confidence. And if I ever doubted the mental aspect of the game of tennis, observing the men's game over the last three years has made me a believer. In 2010 Rafa couldn't be touched. He was clearly the best player on the planet. In 2011, Djokovic couldn't be touched, he was clearly the best player on the planet. In 2012, Djokovic begins to regress. Rafa dominates clay season. Fed swoops in and takes Wimbledon.

What changed? I'm quite certain it isn't physical. All upstairs. Confidence is so key in tennis. And Federer has it right now.

(3) Murray can redeem himself by winning the gold medal on the grass for Great Britain. Wouldn't be the same as winning W, but would make for a great feel good story.

I'm rooting for Murray from here on out.

(4) Djokovic's level is a big question mark. I think he is suffering from a 2011 hangover. His level is still tremendous and there is some frustration I think from the fact that he hasn't replicated 2011 this year. Which is an impossible ask.

I had a dream that the Djokovic tried out for a spot on an NFL team; made the team; was so good that they immediately put him in as the starting Free Safety; and became a phenom when he started getting 2-3 interceptions per game.

And the reason his tennis game dropped off a bit in 2012 was because he wasn't able to practice tennis as much because he was so busy with football.

I actually had this dream. I'm not making this up.

(5) I hate that Nadal is injured and not in the mix. Whether a fan or not, it is unquestionably different when any one of the top 3 are absent from such a huge stage.

Agreed.

(6) Above all else I am looking forward to seeing the colored uniforms on the grass at Wimbledon. It'll be almost like seeing Peyton Manning in a Broncos uniform for the first time.

I hadn't thought about it that way. I think it will be weirder for me to see Peyton in a Bronco's uniform, but we'll see.

Had I known this was thread worthy, I'd have started an independent Women's 10 Meter air rifle thread.

Berdych got knocked out in the first round. I love it. He's such a dick.

Fed dropped a set to Falla, but prevailed.

Ryan Harrison is not ready for primetime. He may never be. The two best young American tennis prospects are Christian Harrison and Jack Sock. I'm selling all of my Ryan Harrison stock, and doubling down on his little brother and Sock.

Donald Young should quit tennis. Seriously.

Looks like the powers that be at Wimbledon greatly overestimated their ability to regrow the grass courts to a championship level or even safe level in the three weeks in between W and the Olympics.

The courts looked pretty good before the first matches were played. By the end of the first match, centre court was worn bare along the baselines.

Not to mention all the slipping and sliding on the courts the past two days. The courts are sun-baked, fast, and slick. It's caused a lot of problems so far.

Seeing all those vibrant colors on centre court must be what it was like when the first color tvs were introduced. I think it is something to behold as part of the Olympics but I wouldn't agree with changing the traditional white for Wimbledon.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Looks like the powers that be at Wimbledon greatly overestimated their ability to regrow the grass courts to a championship level or even safe level in the three weeks in between W and the Olympics.

The courts looked pretty good before the first matches were played. By the end of the first match, centre court was worn bare along the baselines.

Not to mention all the slipping and sliding on the courts the past two days. The courts are sun-baked, fast, and slick. It's caused a lot of problems so far.

I was telling my wife at the end of Wimbledon that there was no way they were getting these courts back in shape before the Olympics begin. Looks the same as when we were at the final.

Got back into it to check out Murray and the Roddick-NoDjo match, the court is ridiculous. They might as well be playing on marbles.

Tomorrow the Olympics finally present some matches worth tuning in for: Federer v. Isner; Djokovic v. Tsonga.

I haven't been able to watch much of the tennis so I don't know how everyone is playing. Should be interesting matches from here out and the best of three set up could present upsets.

VN Store

Back