Texas is on their 3rd coach since firing Rick Barnes…

I didn’t start name calling until you all did. Nice internet insults you mighty e warrior. Pathetic excuse for a vols fan

No, I’m just rational, something you have now demonstrated on multiple occasions that you have no concept of.

I’d rather take a chance and suck then rinse and repeat knowing exactly how far your team will go each year. Should we have kept Butch Jones too for bringing us a few 9 win seasons while ultimately blowing games we should have won? Yeah? We’d never have Huepel and wouldn’t have just come off an 11-2 football season

The mentality that you would rather “take a chance” ( i.e. fire Barnes) and suck then rinse & repeat if it doesn’t work out is frankly nuts.

Reactions: EasternVol
I have been reading some of this board and I know where some of you guys are coming from. A lot of you feel that Barnes has taken you to a certain point and if you want to take the next step, it will have to be with someone else. 2 things though.

1. Some of you bashing the man need to kiss his rear because he pulled Tennessee men's basketball out of the darkness and brought them into the light. Easier than other sports because of the size of a roster and the ability of one guy to impact a team. But still, the program was in a really bad place when he came in.

2. The odds are higher that things get worse instead of better. Maybe it's a Mark Richt to Kirby Smart deal. But, it's more likely a Bo Pellini to Mike Riley thing.

If Texas wins it all then just another sign of what could be if we got a new coach. Barnes is serviceable, but a lot of us want a F4 with a chance to win it all. That is not happening with Rick at the helm
I guess all four #1 seeded teams need new coaches too. Barnes is more than “serviceable”. With the injuries this season, a sweet 16 finish was excellent. Curious if people would be this upset if we had lost to #1 Purdue instead.

Reactions: ttocswob
I think Barnes limits himself by recruiting only high quality citizens players and I’m OK with that. If you have to recruit players with sordid past and gangster wannabes. Then I’m OK with what is transpiring. The whole NCAAT takes a lot of luck in matchups with teams & matchup reffing crews and all. Rarely does the very best team win it all. Probably about 50% of time but I do think the Pandemic extra year has made this year hard to assess and will probably be sane next year. I mean the whole UT team can come back sans Ty Key. Imagine how old this team would seem almost like a G league team.
I agree. As a Vol fan I want kids I can respect while they’re here and long after they’re gone. And Rick does too. It definitely affects his recruiting and limits him BUT…I don’t want problem people around me 24/7 regardless of how talented they are. Some probably want to win that badly I guess….

Y'all, we have either the second or third most tournament berths (right behind Mizzou, incidentally) of any program without a Final Four appearance. It's not crazy for our fan base to think it's time to make the next step. I'm genuinely baffled that some of you are fine taking the "we don't deserve (or can't do) better" approach.

This is the attitude that kills me. Imagine if Florida had just said that in either football or basketball? Some people think just because you've never done something you should never expect it or try for it.

I guess all four #1 seeded teams need new coaches too. Barnes is more than “serviceable”. With the injuries this season, a sweet 16 finish was excellent. Curious if people would be this upset if we had lost to #1 Purdue instead.

Purdue may want to consider it. The other 3 #1 seeds pretty well set, though Sampson is older. Self didn't get to coach in the tournament, so he's moot in this argument. Houston lost their best player in the tournament. Oats is young and has been absolutely excellent so far. Odds are his tournament success comes regarding the FF. I just hope it's not in the SEC.

I’d rather take a chance and suck then rinse and repeat knowing exactly how far your team will go each year. Should we have kept Butch Jones too for bringing us a few 9 win seasons while ultimately blowing games we should have won? Yeah? We’d never have Huepel and wouldn’t have just come off an 11-2 football season
Holy cow man. I was crowned last night with making the worst post in the history of this board. Don’t come for my title. I’d rather keep making the tournament with a team that has beaten the best in the land and take my chances in March than take my chances making bad hires.I grew up in the Devoe era and saw the futility that came from after. We all know the football program suffering it took to get here. I’d rather not relive those two horrible cycles. If you want to go through 2-3 duds thinking/hoping it will eventually help us strike hold, then that’s your right. I think the chances of getting to the Final 4 are better when the team makes the tourney, but that’s jmo.

Purdue may want to consider it. The other 3 #1 seeds pretty well set, though Sampson is older. Self didn't get to coach in the tournament, so he's moot in this argument. Houston lost their best player in the tournament. Oats is young and has been absolutely excellent so far. Odds are his tournament success comes regarding the FF. I just hope it's not in the SEC.
Purdue is different imo as Painter is in year 18 and took over a strong program. He’s had very high seeds when his team failed to make it to the second weekend.

Reactions: Pennheel
I'll add to this, Texas has been to 5 NCAAs since we hired Barnes and they hired Smart. We've also been to 5 in the same time frame. We've got I believe 6 NCAA T wins and they have 5. They have 2 conference tournament titles and we have 1. We have one regular season conference title and they have none. They are looking good for the final four, we are at home. So it didn't really work out that bad for them.

1. Some of you bashing the man need to kiss his rear because he pulled Tennessee men's basketball out of the darkness and brought them into the light. Easier than other sports because of the size of a roster and the ability of one guy to impact a team. But still, the program was in a really bad place when he came in.
Okay, so how many mulligans does he get in the tournament before we've paid off the "you pulled us from the brink" debt?

2. The odds are higher that things get worse instead of better.
Based on what?

Holy cow man. I was crowned last night with making the worst post in the history of this board. Don’t come for my title. I’d rather keep making the tournament with a team that has beaten the best in the land and take my chances in March than take my chances making bad hires.I grew up in the Devoe era and saw the futility that came from after. We all know the football program suffering it took to get here. I’d rather not relive those two horrible cycles. If you want to go through 2-3 duds thinking/hoping it will eventually help us strike hold, then that’s your right. I think the chances of getting to the Final 4 are better when the team makes the tourney, but that’s jmo.
Tennessee in 2023 has some of the best facilities and one of the best NIL programs along with arguably the best fanbase (there may be others just as good, but I don’t think you can say anyone else has a better one). We also seemingly have a good AD and money that could go out there and find someone good. Then you take those two points and look at Rick Barnes NCAA Tourny record. I agree he does not deserve to get fired nor will there even be a consideration even if we miss the tournament next year, but I am looking forward to the day he retires and am excited to see who we get after.

I think those frustrated (and understandably so because that's part of being a fan. Wanting to be better) with Barnes right now need to understand that he's building a good and steady program for Tennessee for when they move on to find a new coach. You don't want to leave a program in shambles. When Barnes calls it a career and with the way the game is currently going, there's going to be some highly sought out coaches. Tennessee already knows how it is to be in shambles with questionable coaching hires.

Barnes was and is a class hire at the time that people knew that he wasn't going to lead Tennessee in the wrong direction.

Reactions: BisonVol
Tennessee in 2023 has some of the best facilities and one of the best NIL programs along with arguably the best fanbase (there may be others just as good, but I don’t think you can say anyone else has a better one). We also seemingly have a good AD and money that could go out there and find someone good. Then you take those two points and look at Rick Barnes NCAA Tourny record. I agree he does not deserve to get fired nor will there even be a consideration even if we miss the tournament next year, but I am looking forward to the day he retires and am excited to see who we get after.
You sound like a young me talking about football back in 2005

I think those frustrated (and understandably so because that's part of being a fan. Wanting to be better) with Barnes right now need to understand that he's building a good and steady program for Tennessee for when they move on to find a new coach. You don't want to leave a program in shambles. When Barnes calls it a career and with the way the game is currently going, there's going to be some highly sought out coaches. Tennessee already knows how it is to be in shambles with questionable coaching hires.

Barnes was and is a class hire at the time that people knew that he wasn't going to lead Tennessee in the wrong direction.
Yep. Folks just need to adjust their expectations. Barnes is in the twilight of a HOF career. He's not going to recruit guys who are edgy and difficult to manage/coach. At his age, he doesn't need or want headaches. He's going to get guys who are solid kids, hard working kids and defensive minded kids. He's never going to have a cutting edge/exciting offense. Hasn't had it anywhere to my knowledge. We also aren't going to fire him. He is who he is. Accept it. Enjoy the moments we get and cup up come March. Take anything beyond one and done in the tournament...if we get there...as a really nice year and appreciate it. When Barnes does leave, we can then hope a young, exciting coach can be found and lured to a solid basketball program with great support.

Reactions: Pennheel
Okay, so how many mulligans does he get in the tournament before we've paid off the "you pulled us from the brink" debt?

Based on what?

Based on the fact that Tennessee is consistently ranked and makes the tournament. You may scoff at this, but Tennessee is one of the best programs in the country at this time. I don't know what will happen next season, but I've got you penciled in for 20 wins and a bid. How many schools can you go into a season and have faith that you're going to win 20 and get a bid.

So, you are more likely to downgrade than upgrade because the program currently competes at a high level.

Based on the fact that Tennessee is consistently ranked and makes the tournament. You may scoff at this, but Tennessee is one of the best programs in the country at this time. I don't know what will happen next season, but I've got you penciled in for 20 wins and a bid. How many schools can you go into a season and have faith that you're going to win 20 and get a bid.

So, you are more likely to downgrade than upgrade because the program currently competes at a high level.
That a rival fan had to point out something so obvious....sheese. What a fan base we are. Not sure I'd have us at 20 and a bid just yet though. Gonna need some really solid portal work between now and next season.

I don’t necessarily agree with this. There’s risk, yes, but I think you overstate it. Unfortunately, you and folks within our fan base have created this “stick with Barnes or fall off a cliff” dichotomy that means we just have to accept Rick’s well-defined ceiling. If he stays, we will accomplish no more than we already have during his tenure, which is nice but not really that compelling.

We lost ZZ. We are in the Elite 8 with him. We stomped Texas.
We’ve had awful luck with injuries to key players just before the tournament. This year it was Z. Last year it was Olivier. 2018, Kyle Alexander. One of these days we’ll get to dance with a full deck.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

VN Store

Back