The Bear

BACKDOC

Would of turned 100 today if he were still alive. Makes me smile every time I think he had a losing record to the Gen. and to think we beat him the last time we played. For you older guys and gals; who would you rather beat; Spurrier or Bryant?

I disliked the Spurrier of Florida more. The Bear truly was old school. He was notorious for badmouthing his own team, even when he knew that they were loaded with four separately interchangeable backfields. At the same time, he lavishly praised his opponents, at least for public consumption, to the point that you really didn't feel humiliated if he beat you, 66-3. I do not remember him taking the kind of snide, verbal potshots at opponents that Spurrier so often did at Florida.

I believe that Bryant truly respected Tennessee, but I lost a lot of respect for him in 1980 when he had a 20-0 lead, with the ball inside our 5-yard line and less than 30 seconds left, and called a timeout to set up a final touchdown, which gave them a 27-0 victory. He could have just as easily taken a knee at that point but deliberately chose not to do so.

Reactions: 1 person
For you older guys and gals; who would you rather beat; Spurrier or Bryant?

Easy call. Spurrier. No big deal beating a dead guy.:rock:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back