The Beautiful Mind

Of Nate Oats had no answers down the stretch.
I’m not one to get caught up in the frenzy of hating on announcers . . . but the Nate Oats commentary was flat out goofy. I’m sure he’s a really good coach, but the way they had obviously decided they were going to heap praise was just odd. At one point, I thought one of them was going to run over during a timeout and start blowing in Oats’ ear.

I’m not one to get caught up in the frenzy of hating on announcers . . . but the Nate Oats commentary was flat out goofy. I’m sure he’s a really good coach, but the way they had obviously decided they were going to heap praise was just odd. At one point, I thought one of them was going to run over during a timeout and start blowing in Oats’ ear.
Someone should’ve taken him some hot tea with honey and a box of throat lozenges.

We had the sound muted due to Jay Bilas being his insufferable self.
And Nate Oats had more camera time than the players did.
Glad we won.
What is it with the opposing coaches getting so much screen time when they play us? Happens in football too. Got to be at least twice the amount our coaches are shown although for my tastes they could show coaches way less overall. Is it because Barnes exhibits some self control and other coaches act like one of the drunks from the student section?

I didn't see the Oats thing due to watching on DVR and blowing through that kind of garbage. I'll need to check that out when I watch it again today.

Based on Bilas' commentary all night, it is hardly a shock he would be gushing over Oats. Give me the SEC Network guys any day, they can keep their pathetic Gameday crap. The only good thing is being in that kind of setting means we're an elite team, and I avoid that stuff like the plague anyway.

At one point I thought they were doing a recruiting pitch for Bama. Made the W a little sweeter!

Of Nate Oats had no answers down the stretch.

Sure he did. Jack up low percentage 3 pointers and hope they go in at a high percentage like usual. Dribble drive for a kick out if possible and hope the 3 goes down. Rely on Pat Adams and crew to bail them out.

None of it worked

Or blowing something else...

Only his ear?

Those crews usually spend a few days in town gathering background stories and other issues so they can fill down time with commentary. For the most part Bilas seems pretty high on UT. They just have to be able to keep commentary going, so they tend to pay more attention to the home team.

Those crews usually spend a few days in town gathering background stories and other issues so they can fill down time with commentary. For the most part Bilas seems pretty high on UT. They just have to be able to keep commentary going, so they tend to pay more attention to the home team.
This is what’s so wrong with the current state of college basketball broadcasting - thinking we want a bunch of bs commentary on anything other than the game being played. The game alone is more than enough to talk about. They’ll be rattling on about some nonsense when a foul is called and not say who committed the foul. A good basketball mind should be able to comment on the action and mix in some dialogue on strategies and game nuances that a lesser knowledgeable person like myself may not have noticed. There’s probably some “consultants” who have told announcers to go semi idiotic as being the best approach. Dane Bradshaw is a perfect example as when he first started he was all basketball and now he’s goes bar stool mode half the game.

It's a benefit of having game day at your city, if you consider that type of thing a benefit. They use AI to write for them nowdays anyway.

Reactions: sami and mercuryvol
This was mainly because of Saban being present and other big named Bubba guys. It was a charade. So freaking hilarious that we went into their house and took care of business. With the officials controlling the tempo and the announcers speaking as if the game had already been won from the jump by Bubba, this is a true laugh in their face moment. Vols pooped all over that parade......

Maybe, but it would've been nice to watch the game and not constant camera shots of Oats, who is obviously a morally bankrupt human....

As a general rule, I find people complaining about announcers childish. With that said… Last night was insane. It was basically a 2+ hour Oats/Sears propaganda campaign from Bilas.

Reactions: Element01
Bilas was an assistant for the great Duke teams that Hurley played for. Oats was an assistant for Hurley at Buffalo. I assumed that was the connection that got Oats such favorable treatment. Oats has done a good job at Bama…if you can overlook the Brandon Miller issue (I cannot).

I think we're also seeing a building narrative about crowning who will be the premier coach in the SEC after Barnes and Cal retire and Pearl goes to Louisville.

Oates must come across as "eastern sophisticated" or woke-informed in his private conversations with the announcer class. They obviously see him as one of them. Guess everybody who makes a living commenting on others wants to latch on to a rising star--whether it's in Hollywood or Washington or Bristol.

VN Store

Back