The Dobb Goblin is Scaring People

Dobbs making headlines in training camp is no longer relevant. Neither is him playing well in the preseason. The standard now is how well he plays in the regular season. He showed last year in adverse situations he could play. Now he needs to show that when given an ideal situation he can be even better. It'll obviously take an injury for him to play ahead of Purdy. But if it does happen that is when he will get to show us whether he deserves to be a starter in this league. I still believe he can do it. He just needs to go out there and prove it.
So no longer a super bowl winning hall of famer?

Most important stat: $7.5 mil career earnings
AND... his $2.25 million salary for 2024 is FULLY guaranteed!!! I'm sure that will factor into thew equation as to who the back up will be. Allen is only guaranteed $700k while Mordecai is on a UDFA deal.

I've wanted Dobbs to succeed as much or more than anyone, but he's been in the league 8 years and we're still getting excited about comments like "he successfully executed a fake hand-off" and "completed a deep pass." Eh, not great. Also a bit of an indictment regarding the talent level in the NFL right now.

Dobbs is the new Ryan Fitzpatrick. Ivy League brain but grit will be his on field strength. They each had a long running place in the league for their abilities to learn a playbook. I hope he lands a starting gig, but he’s never going to be a first choice for any NFL team. For whatever reason, Dobbs has had an accuracy issue and doesn’t see the blitz at a level high enough to replicate a pro bowl QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZE and CubsFanTN
If SF balls out and wraps up a 1 seed early then Dobbs may get a late start ( or two).

That would be irrelevant to his career. Dobbs wants to be a starter. The only way that happens is if he does what Brock Purdy did two years ago. Get a shot due to injuries, ball out, and lead San Francisco to a Super Bowl victory. I think he can do it if given the opportunity. If Purdy can do it then Dobbs certainly can.

Most important stat: $7.5 mil career earnings
Dude's gonna end up making a fortune just being a career backup....the last couple of years have secured him another 2-3 years in the league at a minimum IMO...at $2M/yr he'll end up well over $10M total...as smart as he is you know he'll retire with plenty of that still in the bank

Reactions: MemphisVol77
That would be irrelevant to his career. Dobbs wants to be a starter. The only way that happens is if he does what Brock Purdy did two years ago. Get a shot due to injuries, ball out, and lead San Francisco to a Super Bowl victory. I think he can do it if given the opportunity. If Purdy can do it then Dobbs certainly can.

Dobbs is not going to be a full-time starter in the NFL. Period. Last year showed that.

And there is nothing wrong with securing a backup spot.

Dobbs is not going to be a full-time starter in the NFL. Period. Last year showed that.

I see him making bank as long as the NFL will pay him and then start up so kind of aero company.

Reactions: EZE

How did last year prove it? He got traded one week before the regular season opener to the team everyone thought was the worst in football. All he did was make this team that everyone thought was devoid of talent competitive week in and week out while having a QBR that was in the middle of the league. Then he got traded once again and after just joining the Vikings he becomes the story of the league for 3 weeks straight. He has two bad games in a row and a team desperate to make the playoffs irrationally benches him.

I have no idea how you could take what he did last year as proof of him not being a NFL starter. If anything it proved that with the right supporting cast and coach who believes in him he could be a quality starter.

How many folks can say they have held down and are currently still employed making millions per year in the most competitive industry?

NFL stands for “Not For Long,” and for my guy to still have a job is a blessing! Him moving from team to team is like moving from office to office. As long as that direct deposit hits every payday I’m fine! Lol let’s go Josh Dobbs!!!!

How did last year prove it? He got traded one week before the regular season opener to the team everyone thought was the worst in football. All he did was make this team that everyone thought was devoid of talent competitive week in and week out while having a QBR that was in the middle of the league. Then he got traded once again and after just joining the Vikings he becomes the story of the league for 3 weeks straight. He has two bad games in a row and a team desperate to make the playoffs irrationally benches him.

I have no idea how you could take what he did last year as proof of him not being a NFL starter. If anything it proved that with the right supporting cast and coach who believes in him he could be a quality starter.

Because he got worse for both teams the longer he played and DCs got more tape on him. And he ultimately got benched in both places.

Look, I think the world of JD and nobody wants for him to succeed more than me. And I would bet that 99+% of VolNation feel the same. He is one of the most-respected and admired players to ever come through the program. And it is well deserved.

He was a very good college QB, and did exceptionally well here…especially considering his coach.

And he achieved his ceiling last year IMO. He went from 3rd or 4th on NFL depth charts and bouncing around to likely an established #2 with one of the league’s best franchises. And that is nothing to be ashamed of. I hope he sticks with the Niners for many years.

Because he got worse for both teams the longer he played and DCs got more tape on him. And he ultimately got benched in both places.

Look, I think the world of JD and nobody wants for him to succeed more than me. And I would bet that 99+% of VolNation feel the same. He is one of the most-respected and admired players to ever come through the program. And it is well deserved.

He was a very good college QB, and did exceptionally well here…especially considering his coach.

And he achieved his ceiling last year IMO. He went from 3rd or 4th on NFL depth charts and bouncing around to likely an established #2 with one of the league’s best franchises. And that is nothing to be ashamed of. I hope he sticks with the Niners for many years.
Agreed. He had his shot last year and had some very good games but the DC scouting caught up to him.

But did his replacements look any better? After getting benched in Arizona his replacement had arguably the worst game of the season against Cleveland. Dobbs a week earlier had that same squad competing with Baltimore. Then when Kyler Murray came back he didn't do much better than Dobbs did for Arizona. And when it came to the Vikings he played 3 good games for them followed by 2 bad games. After getting benched the Vikings didn't win another game as the other 2 QBs flamed out as well.

Maybe Dobbs wasn't the problem last year and he simply was put into bad situations. I'll say this, if he gets a shot with the 49ers this year and flames out once again then you will have a point. Because the 49ers are a loaded team that has had a track record of QBs doing well in that system. I simply don't think his play last year warrants your complete dismissal of his potential as a starter. I thought he made the best out of what were less than ideal situations. Could he have played better? Yes. But I don't think he played bad enough to say he will never be a decent starting QB in the NFL.

It is a shame Dobbs didn't get to play for CJH. Not relevant to the current post just the first thought I had.

Reactions: EZE

VN Store

Back