The future of Tennessee football was on display today

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
It isn't gonna happen over night. That much was painfully evident. We have a long way to go.

But tonight you saw a head coach who was involved with his players the entire game. He was in the middle of sideline huddles coaching. He coached players as they came on and off the field. He engaged fans at the Vol Walk.

Tonight you saw players supporting each other. You saw players playing for each other. You saw a united front.

Tonight you saw Chuck Webb stand in the middle of the field in Neyland Stadium and listen to the crowd cheer for him as they watched his highlights. The announcer said before tonight he hadn't been back in 20 something years? Chuck Webb

We got our 800th win with Coach Jones' inaugural game.

Tonight (I guess this morning now), I'm happy my daddy is a Vol fan.

Go Vols!!

Reactions: 29 people
I had to listen to it on the radio tonight, but the second I heard "It's football time in Tennessee!" I could tell there was something different about this team and this year. It brought tears to my eyes. Not even joking.

Reactions: 10 people
And we saw an aggressive, fast moving bunch in orange...much more disciplined, more active, more energized...

That is the future of Tennessee Football!

Reactions: 3 people
I realize we played a very bad team tonight. With that being said, I saw something I haven't seen in years. This team absolutely got after it tonight. I'm proud to have this man representing the team I have loved my entire life. It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Smith and Maggitt were totally engaged on the sidelines. Smith was literally cheering the guys on during warm ups.

And the coaches and trainers were roaming around the players during warm ups like it was some kind of tryout. I asked my husband if he ever remembered seeing that many members of the staff on the field interacting with the players during the stretching part of warm ups. Neither of us have ever noticed that.

Reactions: 2 people
Tonight you saw Chuck Webb stand in the middle of the field in Neyland Stadium and listen to the crowd cheer for him as they watched his highlights. The announcer said before tonight he hadn't been back in 20 something years? Chuck Webb
Go Vols!!

If Rajion had played the entire game, Chuck's single-game record just might very well have been toast.

Reactions: 1 person
If Rajion had played the entire game, Chuck's single-game record just might very well have been toast.

And due to the opposition, it would have been a cheapened record. Butch knew and subbed appropriately....Maybe he gets it? :clapping:

Reactions: 8 people
And due to the opposition, it would have been a cheapened record. Butch knew and subbed appropriately....Maybe he gets it? :clapping:

It might have made the second half less exciting but Butch showed class and let off the gas. Plus we got to play a bunch of guys.

No Injuries or Penalties and got a Shutout.

Very VERY good night for our Vols

Reactions: 5 people
Unfortunately for those who think there won't be a pretty steep drop off on the OL and DL next fall... it was.

I liked Jones' coaching. There was great effort. The veterans for the most part played like it. Some of the young guys showed some promise.

However, when you get past the 1st string rotation on the lines... it gets ugly.

Unfortunately for those who think there won't be a pretty steep drop off on the OL and DL next fall... it was.

I liked Jones' coaching. There was great effort. The veterans for the most part played like it. Some of the young guys showed some promise.

However, when you get past the 1st string rotation on the lines... it gets ugly.

JUCOs will bridge the gap

We have a year to get them ready for next fall. This staff has shown they can develop players. It will be ok and calm down.

on both sides of the line, and have veteran running backs. I'd like to think that we can utilize that experience and get a couple of big SEC victories this year. At the same time, the coaches HAVE to develop some of the younger OL and DL or we are going to be bad next year. Right now, after the starters our offensive line depth is WEAK. It will be hard to build program momentum if we sux next year because our lines are terrible.

We have a year to get them ready for next fall. This staff has shown they can develop players. It will be ok and calm down.

I agree, calm down. We don't have a National Championship team right now, but with this coaching staff, they will get better in time

It isn't gonna happen over night. That much was painfully evident. We have a long way to go.

See, I disagree with this, respectfully of course. I don't think it was painfully evident at all. This is a very well-coached football team (see the lack of penalties, unnecessary timeouts, turnovers, missed assignments, etc.). To me, the only real thing missing is depth, and that really can't be fixed right now. But unless the game is a blowout, we will never see just the 2's in the game. The talent dropoff between 1st and 2nd team won't be as noticeable if the 2nd string player is mixed in with a bunch of first teamers.

Here's the way I look at it: We didn't give up any big plays, we didn't call timeout at a stupid time, we always had the right number of guys on the field and we didn't throw the ball 50 yards downfield on 3rd and 2. I'd say we aren't that far at all. I'd say it pretty much did happen over night. I'd say, the ONLY thing standing in our way of being championship contenders is one or two recruiting classes.

Sadly I agree, but they have an entire year to get better and there were some high points I saw as well

See, I disagree with this, respectfully of course. I don't think it was painfully evident at all. This is a very well-coached football team (see the lack of penalties, unnecessary timeouts, turnovers, missed assignments, etc.). To me, the only real thing missing is depth, and that really can't be fixed right now. But unless the game is a blowout, we will never see just the 2's in the game. The talent dropoff between 1st and 2nd team won't be as noticeable if the 2nd string player is mixed in with a bunch of first teamers.

Here's the way I look at it: We didn't give up any big plays, we didn't call timeout at a stupid time, we always had the right number of guys on the field and we didn't throw the ball 50 yards downfield on 3rd and 2. I'd say we aren't that far at all. I'd say it pretty much did happen over night. I'd say, the ONLY thing standing in our way of being championship contenders is one or two recruiting classes.
That was exactly my point. Two recruiting classes isn't "over night" to me. But it's nice to know what we have to look forward to, and I absolutely LOVE where we're headed!

That was exactly my point. Two recruiting classes isn't "over night" to me. But it's nice to know what we have to look forward to, and I absolutely LOVE where we're headed!

You and me both. It's a great time to be a Vol.

Yes, APSU was horrible. BUT, it was still up to UT to go out there and put the game away...which they did. No stupid timeouts, turnovers, or penalties.

You can't tell what UT has talent wise based on the opponent, but you can see this team is more disciplined. That's all you can ask for in this type of game.

When Butch gets a few of his classes on campus, fans will look back and clearly see how diminished the overall talent is at the present.

VN Store

Back