The future of Tennessee football was on display today

I still don't think we'll win more than 6, maybe 7 this year. But for the first time in along time.....OMG, dare I say it......this team is WELL COACHED. It's a damned good start.

Unfortunately for those who think there won't be a pretty steep drop off on the OL and DL next fall... it was.

I liked Jones' coaching. There was great effort. The veterans for the most part played like it. Some of the young guys showed some promise.

However, when you get past the 1st string rotation on the lines... it gets ugly.

You still think 5 wins would be underachieving?

I wouldn't wast one second of my life worrying about next year right now. Why would anyone?

I'm not sure if any coach in his first game with a new team has ever gone without any penalties.

Last edited:
It isn't gonna happen over night. That much was painfully evident. We have a long way to go.

But tonight you saw a head coach who was involved with his players the entire game. He was in the middle of sideline huddles coaching. He coached players as they came on and off the field. He engaged fans at the Vol Walk.

Tonight you saw players supporting each other. You saw players playing for each other. You saw a united front.

Tonight you saw Chuck Webb stand in the middle of the field in Neyland Stadium and listen to the crowd cheer for him as they watched his highlights. The announcer said before tonight he hadn't been back in 20 something years? Chuck Webb

We got our 800th win with Coach Jones' inaugural game.

Tonight (I guess this morning now), I'm happy my daddy is a Vol fan.

Go Vols!!

Glad to hear that about Chuck Webb. Still remember that Cotton Bowl game--and many other highlights. Tied with Jamal as the most talented tailbacks in the modern UT era IMO.

When Butch gets a few of his classes on campus, fans will look back and clearly see how diminished the overall talent is at the present.

I think that diminished is not a good word to use. Raw talent, young talent even rising talent might work. But by no means are they diminished since you are looking at a lot of underclassmen who are playing for the first time.

I recall another UT player some years ago and how "it's going to be hard for him to step up and fill the role he's moving into." And how the polls said we weren't going to as good as we had been. About the talent lost from the previous class.

And then Tee Martin stepped up and helped lead our team to a National Championship.

Not saying this team is NC contenders this year, but I think you're going to be in for a few surprises as the season goes along and the players get more time in under their belts.

I sure hope the 2nd half was not the indication of UT's future of Tennessee football

I think that diminished is not a good word to use. Raw talent, young talent even rising talent might work. But by no means are they diminished since you are looking at a lot of underclassmen who are playing for the first time.

I recall another UT player some years ago and how "it's going to be hard for him to step up and fill the role he's moving into." And how the polls said we weren't going to as good as we had been. About the talent lost from the previous class.

And then Tee Martin stepped up and helped lead our team to a National Championship.

Not saying this team is NC contenders this year, but I think you're going to be in for a few surprises as the season goes along and the players get more time in under their belts.

How many players did you see last night that could start for Bama? In the future that will change and UT's roster will be on par with the upper tier teams. That was my point.

As I watched the replay of the game last night I saw a very good team and coaching staff.....I believe TN is back....

How many players did you see last night that could start for Bama? In the future that will change and UT's roster will be on par with the upper tier teams. That was my point.

You do realize you could ask the same question about every other roster in the SEC don't you?

But ftr, UT has guys who would now or in the future start for any team in CFB.

Reactions: 2 people
It isn't gonna happen over night. That much was painfully evident. We have a long way to go.

But tonight you saw a head coach who was involved with his players the entire game. He was in the middle of sideline huddles coaching. He coached players as they came on and off the field. He engaged fans at the Vol Walk.

Tonight you saw players supporting each other. You saw players playing for each other. You saw a united front.

Tonight you saw Chuck Webb stand in the middle of the field in Neyland Stadium and listen to the crowd cheer for him as they watched his highlights. The announcer said before tonight he hadn't been back in 20 something years? Chuck Webb

Go Vols!!

Maybe if our last coach hadn't been treated so poorly he would have been treated better and the QB idiot we had was our problem

Maybe if our last coach hadn't been treated so poorly he would have been treated better and the QB idiot we had was our problem

Dooley hired Sal. IOW's, he screwed himself and got what he deserved for doing so. If all you can do as a HC is be a "CEO".... then you better be the Donald Trump of college football. You hire a dud like Sal... your career is over.

Have to admit I was impressed by the lack of penalties and the body language from the players. The attitudes seemed to be polar opposite from what we have seen the last couple of years. We are going to take a lot of lumps this year and some next, but I like the direction that Jones seems to have this program in at the moment.

Reactions: 1 person
Unfortunately for those who think there won't be a pretty steep drop off on the OL and DL next fall... it was.

I liked Jones' coaching. There was great effort. The veterans for the most part played like it. Some of the young guys showed some promise.

However, when you get past the 1st string rotation on the lines... it gets ugly.

The DL I'm not as worried about. That sec half OL scared the bama out of me.

Have to admit I was impressed by the lack of penalties and the body language from the players. The attitudes seemed to be polar opposite from what we have seen the last couple of years. We are going to take a lot of lumps this year and some next, but I like the direction that Jones seems to have this program in at the moment.

Agree BC.

JUCOs will bridge the gap

We have a year to get them ready for next fall. This staff has shown they can develop players. It will be ok and calm down.

(On some of the second team offensive line not dressing)
“Yeah it did. We had some individuals who were banged up. Dylan Wiesman wasn’t quite ready to do yet. It was a great evaluation tool from where we are at currently and what we need to do in recruiting as well.”

There is definitely a drop-off, but we should also note several 2nd team O-line didn't dress for the game. Some of the drop-off may have been because it dropped straight past 2nd-team, to 3rd.

Go Vols!!

Great post, VG... It's nice to see the positives listed and celebrated. Since I just look argumentative in the UT/Maxims/AP thread, I'll live here a while. lol

Great post, VG... It's nice to see the positives listed and celebrated. Since I just look argumentative in the UT/Maxims/AP thread, I'll live here a while. lol

When the team came out for the second half, is that when they did the circle rally? (Not sure what else to call it - but all the players got in on it).

I got so tired last year of the team coming out after halftime completely flat. This year, totally different.

Go Vols!!

The big question is " Will Coach Jones get you to bring the pom pom pants back?"

VN Store

Back