The Gardening Thread

@GroverCleveland When is the best time to plant tulips, early or late fall. Best place to get bulbs? I may try my hand at a few dozen. Nothing magnificent like you do. Any other tips?
Just ordered mine this past weekend and I waited a bit late so the selection was a bit limited.

I ordered about 900 for this year. I am in Charleston, TN and will probably plant late November or early December. I get mine from Dutchbulbs (Bulk and Wholesale Flower Bulbs | K. van Bourgondien) and Dutchgrown (Top Quality Flower Bulbs at Wholesale Pricing | DutchGrown™) depending on the mixes they have available.

I have also looked at Holland Bulb Farms, but have not ordered from them as of yet.df

Reactions: Orange.
I am ramping up on planting dahlias as well. Planted border dahlias in the big tulip bed and they are very nice. Bloom all summer and do not get much above 18 inches tall.

The other dahlias I planted are mostly dinner plate sized and are really nice. Mrs. Cleveland likes to keep a vase of them in the kitchen. Here is the current batch. The yellow is starting to lose its glory, but those have been outstanding all summer.

1729276844454.jpeg

I am ramping up on planting dahlias as well. Planted border dahlias in the big tulip bed and they are very nice. Bloom all summer and do not get much above 18 inches tall.

The other dahlias I planted are mostly dinner plate sized and are really nice. Mrs. Cleveland likes to keep a vase of them in the kitchen. Here is the current batch. The yellow is starting to lose its glory, but those have been outstanding all summer.

View attachment 688223
Do you dig and store your dahlias?
We have friends in Calhoun who just brought us a flat of foxglove he started from seed. I look forward to them blooming next summer.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Do you dig and store your dahlias?
We have friends in Calhoun who just brought us a flat of foxglove he started from seed. I look forward to them blooming next summer.
Actually I have not. So far the larger varieties are coming as perennials for the last two years. The border dahlias I may not because they have to come up for the tulips. I am going to double the number of those this spring.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Actually I have not. So far the larger varieties are coming as perennials for the last two years. The border dahlias I may not because they have to come up for the tulips. I am going to double the number of those this spring.
What kind of soil preparation is needed? I have a lot of clay and a bit sandy too. I am completely new to this. (Thank you for the inspiration.)

What kind of soil preparation is needed? I have a lot of clay and a bit sandy too. I am completely new to this. (Thank you for the inspiration.)
I don't know about clay. I have regular topsoil in the yard where a couple of small beds are. The larger beds are both raised. The big one I built last year, I use a mix from my nursery guy. I probably need to add some nutrients this year although I am thinking I may just replace the top 4-5 inches this year.

Planted a number of pots last year after having seen that done in videos. However, almost all of those rotted. Think we have too much temp variation in zone 7. The only ones that did not rot were a couple on the front porch, but I was not satisfied and think I will avoid the pots.

I don't know about clay. I have regular topsoil in the yard where a couple of small beds are. The larger beds are both raised. The big one I built last year, I use a mix from my nursery guy. I probably need to add some nutrients this year although I am thinking I may just replace the top 4-5 inches this year.

Planted a number of pots last year after having seen that done in videos. However, almost all of those rotted. Think we have too much temp variation in zone 7. The only ones that did not rot were a couple on the front porch, but I was not satisfied and think I will avoid the pots.
If I want to dig some "beds" in the ground, about how deep would you think they would need to be? (Sorry to be such a rookie.)

Also, great win. I know you are loving it as much as I am!

If I want to dig some "beds" in the ground, about how deep would you think they would need to be? (Sorry to be such a rookie.)

Not a bad idea. I have thought about it. I'd talk to a local nursery and get some recommendations.

One critical thing! Needs to be well draining! Sitting in water and they will rot.

what are you planting? what's the soil type, clay, loam, ph? look around what is there? Sun/Dappled Sun/Little Sun? is it on a hill, flat area??

Most items at nursery tell you requirements. Biggest this is buy perennial. Try to get something that grows wild or you see in around your neighborhood.

Acid lovers can be finnicky.

what are you planting? what's the soil type, clay, loam, ph? look around what is there? Sun/Dappled Sun/Little Sun? is it on a hill, flat area??

Most items at nursery tell you requirements. Biggest this is buy perennial. Try to get something that grows wild or you see in around your neighborhood.

Acid lovers can be finnicky.
You're right, but we've been talking tulips. They do not do well in zone 7 as perennials. Have to be dug and stored.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Wow. Tulips? Ours love the cold. In fact, I consider them a cold weather plant, needing that long stint of 30°'s to stratify. Interesting.
I have had very few bloom after a year (<3-4%).

Yes they love the cold. They don't love the 90s. I will be planting mine in November.

I have had very few bloom after a year (<3-4%).

Yes they love the cold. They don't love the 90s. I will be planting mine in November.
Ive left a few, but frankly. Ive dug all mine up. Tried to replace with later bloomers. As Ive aged, subscribed to a Ronco 'set it and forget it' mentality to yard work. Lots of hostas, echinacea, sage varieties, and daylillies.

Ive left a few, but frankly. Ive dug all mine up. Tried to replace with later bloomers. As Ive aged, subscribed to a Ronco 'set it and forget it' mentality to yard work. Lots of hostas, echinacea, sage varieties, and daylillies.
I agree with you and moving in that direction. Just have three beds for the tulips. I love 'em and get tons of compliments about them.

Reactions: Jackcrevol

VN Store

Back