The main reason why we might have a chance aganist Oregon

AllVolForLife_16

In the past two games, Tennessee has only allowed 2 penalties total. Granted, I know they were both at home, and the competition wasn't top notch, but that kind of discipline is something we've lacked in a very very long time. Disciplined football translates to wins. If you make less mistakes as opposed to the other team, you're more likely to win the game, it's just that simple.

I'm not saying that we will beat Oregon this weekend because the odds are stacked agains us, and rightfully so, but if we continue to play disciplined football and our defense can find a way to create turnovers in the same fashion that they did against WKU, then an upset is certainly a possibility.

Butch Jones will get the best out of this Tennessee football team, each and every Saturday, I promise you that. Whether or not that will translate into some big wins this season remains to be seen, but my confidence level in coach Jones and this Tennessee football team rises week to week.

Reactions: 7 people
130612112253-butch-jones-top-single-image-cut.jpg

Gets it.

Reactions: 9 people
The past two weeks we were playing cupcakes. I am not saying we are not more disciplined. Although I have a feeling we will have a few this Sat. We will actually be tired and pushing. We manhandled the APU and WKU. We didn't get fatigued. Also we weren't pushing to score. In the OR game every yard will count. I hope we can stay as disciplined.

It's cliched but, we're going to have to play a complete game and hardly make any mistakes; and honestly I think Oregon is going to have to have a bad game. Basically their A game beats our A game at this point.

If we can get them to play a C or lower game and we play our A game, we have a decent shot.

Reactions: 1 person
It's cliched but, we're going to have to play a complete game and hardly make any mistakes; and honestly I think Oregon is going to have to have a bad game. Basically their A game beats our A game at this point.

If we can get them to play a C or lower game and we play our A game, we have a decent shot.

What if we play oh say a B+ game snd they play like a C- do we still win? :)

We could go west and get blasted...then again I believe that we are pretty talented as well, with their team speed being the biggest thing in their favor. There is a way to change that to our favor and its to blast them every chance we get and they will slow down. Next thing is that Worley will have to have a very good game and play an entire game just like he finished against WKU. We would have to be efficiant on offense every possesion and to play with this team. If we can keep it close until the 4th our line will take over. That is a big if.

The past two weeks we were playing cupcakes. I am not saying we are not more disciplined. Although I have a feeling we will have a few this Sat. We will actually be tired and pushing. We manhandled the APU and WKU. We didn't get fatigued. Also we weren't pushing to score. In the OR game every yard will count. I hope we can stay as disciplined.

It's gonna all rest on the shoulder's of our OL, and Neal and Lane honestly. We have to depend on our OL to dominate the Oregon DL from the line of scrimmage, and pound the ball forward every play. I also have a feeling that North will have a breakout game this Saturday.

We need our D to hit them in the mouth. The only way we are going to slow speed down is by putting punishing blows on them. I think they will expose the middle of the field on us.

In the past two games, Tennessee has only allowed 2 penalties total. Granted, I know they were both at home, and the competition wasn't top notch, but that kind of discipline is something we've lacked in a very very long time. Disciplined football translates to wins. If you make less mistakes as opposed to the other team, you're more likely to win the game, it's just that simple.

I'm not saying that we will beat Oregon this weekend because the odds are stacked agains us, and rightfully so, but if we continue to play disciplined football and our defense can find a way to create turnovers in the same fashion that they did against WKU, then an upset is certainly a possibility.

Butch Jones will get the best out of this Tennessee football team, each and every Saturday, I promise you that. Whether or not that will translate into some big wins this season remains to be seen, but my confidence level in coach Jones and this Tennessee football team rises week to week.

Look, there is a certain formula to beating Oregon. Remember Boise State beat them two seasons in a row. Stanford beat them last season. Auburn beat them in the NCAA Championship.

They are beatable....

Reactions: 3 people
Worley has come out flat in both games (in the AP game, he wasn't as bad as in the WKU game, but he was off on most of his throws). CBJ said in one of the pressers this week that He "calmed down" in the 2nd half. I find that somewhat strange, because one of the accollades he heaped on Ferguson, in camp, was that he "didn't get rattled." Thought I read a practice report a day or two ago, over at VQ, about Ferguson staying on the field long after the end of practice, throwing to some of the receivers.

Wonder if CBJ is keeping him in his back pocket, so to speak, in case Worley comes out flat in this game as well. It's one thing to be rattled and off your game the first series or two....but an entire half?

I still hope the staff plays Croom, North and Harris in the same sets, a lot during this game. It has to be tough trying to defend 3 huge WR's, and they also have a size advantage when it comes to run blocking, so having them in at the same time would help no matter what we are trying to do.

It would also force their DB's to stay deep in coverage, rather than be focused on run support. With 3 tall, speedy WR's, a DC's main concern is the deep ball.

Last edited:
This is how we win on Saturday...
1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way, SCORE.
3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don’t let up. Put on more steam.
4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.
5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle -- for this is the WINNNG EDGE.
6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
7. Carry the fight to Oregon and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Reactions: 13 people
It's gonna all rest on the shoulder's of our OL, and Neal and Lane honestly. We have to depend on our OL to dominate the Oregon DL from the line of scrimmage, and pound the ball forward every play. I also have a feeling that North will have a breakout game this Saturday.

The football cannot be thrown behind our receivers......just sayin

Reactions: 2 people

Autzen is loud, like Neyland loud with half as many fans. The stadium makes players feel a little confined (hence why it is loud) because there is not a lot of real estate between the stands and the playing surface.

You play disciplined and handle the noise, you have chance. Your O will not be able to verbally communicate that much is for sure.

For the record, if I dont have my ear plugs at a game, my ears ring for a day or so afterwards like I stood in front of some speakers at a Metallica concert.:rock:

Has Worley ever started a road game for the Vols? I know in 2011 he came in for Simms @ Bama and made his first start the next week in Neyland against the Gamecocks. Did he have a road start that season? If not, Autzen is some place to be making his first one. Just curious...GBO!!

VN Store

Back