The new strength and conditioning coach..

If the new S&C coach is a quality hire, we'll know by watching the players' body language during the fourth quarter of the Oregon game. I hope our guys don't look gassed and worn out, and they shouldn't if they've been properly prepared.

I would be happy if they weren't looking around at each other while the ball is being snapped because they don't even know where to line up.

Reactions: 8 people
If the new S&C coach is a quality hire, we'll know by watching the players' body language during the fourth quarter of the Oregon game. I hope our guys don't look gassed and worn out, and they shouldn't if they've been properly prepared.

Isn't that the first game of the year? If they are winded at all i wouldn't be surprised regardless of the S&C coach is. Doesn't help that we play Oregon :ermm:

Isn't that the first game of the year? If they are winded at all i wouldn't be surprised regardless of the S&C coach is. Doesn't help that we play Oregon :ermm:

Third game, but traveling across the country probably will not help much either.

Cincy stayed in the game with Duke all the way to the end...even at the point it looked like they were gonna lose. Sure seemed like they were both physically and mentally tough. Sounds to me like well coached kids...S&C, X&Os, and the intangibles like 'belief'. Be nice to see that here.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not dawging on Ron Mckeefrey or the job he done, but speed is the one area i didn't see any improvement on this past team. They looked better and in shape but it didn't show on the field. D.Young was a prime example. I was really excited in seeing how he would do in the preseason, but he didn't impress me much with his speed. Let's hope these players can improve in that area. God knows our Defense can use it.

The reason Young did not impress it that he was of over hyped last spring and summer.

Last edited:
Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Clean and Jerk, more Squats, windsprints, windsprints, windsprints..

Here we go again this Strength and cond coach is the best ever
Only thing I can say is that the 15 we have had the past few years they all seem to be better than Johnny Long
I really thought the 1st guy CLK brought in was good from uscjr I think

I believe they did work hard in the previous offseason. Dooley and McKeefery wanted more size, but sacrificed speed to achieve it.

Reactions: 1 person
Cincy stayed in the game with Duke all the way to the end...even at the point it looked like they were gonna lose. Sure seemed like they were both physically and mentally tough. Sounds to me like well coached kids...S&C, X&Os, and the intangibles like 'belief'. Be nice to see that here.

Yep

Read this on facebook, so it may be old news.. :p

Devrin Young says he hopes the squad is ready for the new strength and conditioning coach. He done a little workout and threw up says he hasn't done that in years.

I have a friend who has been a S&C coach for over 30 years, and he is a very good friend with the new S&C coach, in fact supposed to go on a visit to the new weight room with him sometime this month and meet him. Anyways he says that he is very, very good. He is a no nonsense kind of guy which you can tell from in his interview, and is a very big family man, and also has a strong sense of loyalty. Also in other news, have worked around a large number of cincinatti players when Butch was head coach last off season, and they were some of the hardest working and well mannered guys we have worked with from a college university we need some of that around here.

I believe it now, because I think the players got tired of playing for the previous staff.

CBJ revitalized them.

You cant teach speed on D.

sure about that? I'm pretty sure that every sprint coach in the world and any decent s/c coach disagrees. Our last one couldn't but that doesn't mean a good one can't Also, when you aren't confused, you play faster. Our D was so confused last year they played even slower than they were. Were our db's slow, yes. However, when everyone gains mass but has poor speed development in the program, they will get slower. Just my .02 as a former college track coach.

I'm not dawging on Ron Mckeefrey or the job he done, but speed is the one area i didn't see any improvement on this past team. They looked better and in shape but it didn't show on the field. D.Young was a prime example. I was really excited in seeing how he would do in the preseason, but he didn't impress me much with his speed. Let's hope these players can improve in that area. God knows our Defense can use it.

Mckeefrey was golden with the strength part...he totally sucked at conditioning.

sure about that? I'm pretty sure that every sprint coach in the world and any decent s/c coach disagrees. Our last one couldn't but that doesn't mean a good one can't Also, when you aren't confused, you play faster. Our D was so confused last year they played even slower than they were. Were our db's slow, yes. However, when everyone gains mass but has poor speed development in the program, they will get slower. Just my .02 as a former college track coach.

At last, someone who knows something about the benefits of strength and conditions training when it is correctly taught. Most of the posters here know nothing about S&C as indicated by their posts. A good football program can not exist without a S&C program which can develop speed and stamina. I was impressed with the speed and Stamina of UC's team last year. I admit that some players will never be sprinters but speed can be improved in almost every player.

Reactions: 3 people
Three ways to get faster: improve stride frequency and stride length. Mechanics help both and strength with mechanics adds length and gets people a lot faster. Its not rocket science. MY hs Dl last year that did speed training with be all dropped between .2 and .5 in 40 and most dropped .15 to. 25 in the 10yd.

He's just a smart football player.. We have plenty of guys that are as athletic as him.. He's athletically nowhere in the same universe as somebody like Cam Newton

I don't agree with this statement. JM broke his records.....as a freshman. We don't know how great he will be when it all said and done. He also won the heisman as a freshman.

VN Store

Back