The Next Day Through Sober Eyes Thread

Doyle Hargraves

Trump's diaper is full again
Well, I for one may have had some knee jerk reactions to the game yesterday. Each year I do the same thing. I go into the season hoping against hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Despite all of the glaring facts that point to our team not being close to being where we all want them to be, I allow myself to believe in miracles. Like everyone else, I am frustrated and I am guilty of allowing it to get the better of me. Our team is so far away from where it needs to be that it is difficult to know where to begin. A fact that the coaching staff and most media outlets have been saying all along. A fact that I didn't want to believe but the proof was painfully on national display yesterday. I don't know what the answers are, but it won't get fixed over night.
Our team is very young in areas and very thin everywhere. There is no quarterback stepping up to the challenge. We have no SEC big tough running back that is capable of punishing defenses. To add to that, it feels like the OL, supposedly our strength, is underachieving. The defense is still getting burnt because of youth and outright lack of talent.
It is what it is and it's pretty bad right now. I still have faith that we can get there, it's just going to take time. I am just going to have to constantly remind myself of these things the next month or so as we enter the meat grinder of the schedule.
Sorry for the long winded speech. Keep the faith and GBO.

Reactions: 15 people
the OL is what worries me,i was thinking they would be the strong part of the team,they look so so at this time of year,is it the coaches ? we know that they have a lot of talent

so it is going to be tuff to figure out what is going on this year,it is going to take a lot of patience,of course i have said they are 5 to 6 win team,till it got close to the season and my expectations went up ,reality is here now

Reactions: 1 person
the OL is what worries me,i was thinking they would be the strong part of the team,they look so so at this time of year,is it the coaches ? we know that they have a lot of talent

so it is going to be tuff to figure out what is going on this year,it is going to take a lot of patience,of course i have said they are 5 to 6 win team,till it got close to the season and my expectations went up ,reality is here now
I'm starting to think that perhaps the OL was thought so highly of simply because they were upperclassmen. They don't appear to possess that nastiness that they need. I'm not sure what the problem is but they need to figure it out.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, I for one may have had some knee jerk reactions to the game yesterday. Each year I do the same thing. I go into the season hoping against hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Despite all of the glaring facts that point to our team not being close to being where we all want them to be, I allow myself to believe in miracles. Like everyone else, I am frustrated and I am guilty of allowing it to get the better of me. Our team is so far away from where it needs to be that it is difficult to know where to begin. A fact that the coaching staff and most media outlets have been saying all along. A fact that I didn't want to believe but the proof was painfully on national display yesterday. I don't know what the answers are, but it won't get fixed over night.
Our team is very young in areas and very thin everywhere. There is no quarterback stepping up to the challenge. We have no SEC big tough running back that is capable of punishing defenses. To add to that, it feels like the OL, supposedly our strength, is underachieving. The defense is still getting burnt because of youth and outright lack of talent.
It is what it is and it's pretty bad right now. I still have faith that we can get there, it's just going to take time. I am just going to have to constantly remind myself of these things the next month or so as we enter the meat grinder of the schedule.
Sorry for the long winded speech. Keep the faith and GBO.

You know how to make me feel better when I'm hurtIn', Doyle.

:)

The injury to Saulsberry is what worries me most coming out of that game. With Couch ineligible we have two legit DT's heading into SEC play, and one of them can't go more than about 30 snaps a game.

Reactions: 2 people
Guys it's this scheme . It will not work without a running QB who runs some times . This is not a scheme for our players. We are in for a long season!

I have faith in CBJ. "He get's it" remember? We are still playing with Dooley's recruits, and CBJ is doing the best he can with the talent available. Like he say's, it's a process and we have to take our lumps along the way to the top. I have no doubt that Butch will bring us back. That said, it hurts to see my (our) team look so bad. CBJ and staff see these QB's in practice every day, and he
stated that he'll play the one that gives us a better CHANCE of winning. I agree on everything you all have said about Worley, and it's frustrating to watch underthrown balls. We'll just have to be patient and maybe CBJ will try Peterman eventually. We're all Vol fans, and let's just hang in.

The O-line is the same O-line it's been for some time. Pretty good at pass blocking, worthless at run blocking. I even got caught up and thought maybe Butch and Co. would fix that, but it's not an overnight fix, especially with all the different playbooks this offensive line has seen in their time.

Guys it's this scheme . It will not work without a running QB who runs some times . This is not a scheme for our players. We are in for a long season!

That sounds great and all but I thought CBJ didn't run a scheme but schemed based on strengths, which didn't happen yesterday. Having Worley run the read-option is the definition of insanity.

It is what it is and it's pretty bad right now. I still have faith that we can get there, it's just going to take time. I am just going to have to constantly remind myself of these things the next month or so as we enter the meat grinder of the schedule.Sorry for the long winded speech. Keep the faith and GBO.

I don't think you are going to have to memorize anything. We will all be getting weekly reminders of where we are at. :banghead2:

They are about on par for what I expected out of them, a 4 win season with the outside shot at a couple of upsets late in the year to push it to 6.

The problem with people saying the past few days "oh we have a shot, look at what we did against Miami in 1986, or Florida in 2001, or Auburn in 1985" is this:

There are no Daryl Dickey's to step up at QB when Robinson goes down, or Travis Stevens to run all over the opponent and we d-mn sure don't have a Tony Robinson on this team.

This team isn't very good and there are zero difference makers on either side of the ball.

The only things I hope for the rest of the season is to see gradual areas of improvement on defense and someone to step up to give this offense an identity.

Maybe they improve enough to knock off Auburn and Vandy late in the season and sneak into a bowl game.

Last edited:
Maybe like a 3-4 D without the right players? Where have we seen that before?

While yesterday's result is no surprise at all to me, this statement could not be anymore true ... and telling. If CBJ's scheme really is dependent on a rushing QB, I think they really need to rethink things. A good rushing QB is hard to come by. Although I don't totally believe this as I think Worely is just not that good period. He can't pass the ball that well either. I just hope that I can truly tag on a "yet" at the end of that statement about Worely, but we won't know that until November.

VN Store

Back