The nutrition thread

I've heard about people saying something like "eat 80% good food" (for a given time period) and like that idea. I think of it in terms of meals, days, and weeks. Allows you to have "cheat" days/meals as long as your intake is generally healthy. A general guideline that keeps you thinking about if what you're consuming is "good" or "bad" (granted it's never going to be absolute)

I know in the past I've definitely overeaten, so sometimes I try to go by the "eat until you're 80% full" guideline and not eat the "typical" 120% of what I should have for the given meal. (Not vouching for this source or anything, but wasn't aware of the actual term for this so leaving a link: What is Your Hara Hachi Bu Point? – Cleveland Clinic)

These are food related things, but of course any type of routine, "safe" activity you can do to be active is also good.

Main things for me:
Pretty much no fast food
I don't eat out a ton in general (generally don't have full control of what's in your food)
Try to buy things with low salt/sugar (and other "bad" things)
Don't add sugar to things (food or drinks, including coffee)
Don't add salt to things (in general - of course seasonings/sauces will have some sodium)
Try to buy fresh versions of things
Make yourself eat some healthy snacks (which for me means having more of those around than unhealthy snacks)
Find healthy-ish things (alternatives) for desserts and try to eat less of it (or eat it less often)
Get yourself to like healthy versions of things (example for me: I don't really eat cereal except at night, but I get basic cereals with no sugar added. I eat it with whole milk that already has sugar)
Try not to eat just because you're bored/stressed/etc. - find a more productive outlet
Thank you for sharing...

It depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat lots of protein, very little “added sugar,” and be in a caloric deficit (eat less calories than you burn in a day).

If you want to gain muscle, you need to eat lots of carbs and protein before and after your workout, and be in a small caloric surplus (eat more than you burn).

It’s all about calories in vs. calories out, but to be healthy, definitely stick to whole foods - foods you find on the outside of grocery store aisles, not the inside aisles where all the chips and cookies are. An occasional treat is okay, but they shouldn’t make up more than 15% of your calories.
I appreciate your advice..

I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago and have kept it off following just a few basic rules:

Eat a diet with a lot of color, which means fresh fruits, berries and veggies.
I found a recipe for crock pot oatmeal which calls for steel cut oats (tons of fiber), tastes good and also portions and freezes well. I eat it a few times a week.
I've never eaten a lot of fast food so this wasn't a big issue for me, but a few times a year I do love me a Quarter Pounder with cheese and some salty fries!
I like to cook a lot of things that you can put extra veggies in. Beef stew, chicken and noodles, stir fry, casseroles, risotto.
There are a lot of vegetables that picky eaters won't touch that are really good when roasted. For instance, roasted cauliflower is awesome.
Drink more water.

And finally, alcohol contains a lot of empty calories so if you imbibe cut down on the daily intake.

Simple stuff.

Reactions: MAD and BigO95
I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago and have kept it off following just a few basic rules:

I found a recipe for crock pot oatmeal which calls for steel cut oats (tons of fiber), tastes good and also portions and freezes well. I eat it a few times a week.
I've never eaten a lot of fast food so this wasn't a big issue for me, but a few times a year I do love me a Quarter Pounder with cheese and some salty fries!
I like to cook a lot of things that you can put extra veggies in. Beef stew, chicken and noodles, stir fry, casseroles, risotto.
There are a lot of vegetables that picky eaters won't touch that are really good when roasted. For instance, roasted cauliflower is awesome.
Drink more water.

And finally, alcohol contains a lot of empty calories so if you imbibe cut down on the daily intake.

Simple stuff.
Awesome thanks

Drink more water.

Simple stuff.
Great post, could you share more about how you make the crock pot oatmeal?

Reactions: BigO95

VN Store

Back