The offensive line "trick" play

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
Sorry if there is a thread on this already, but that was actually a brilliant play.

When WKU jumped off sides the ball was snapped but the line stayed put. A lot of defenders react to movement on the OL but there was none. That left a 1 on 1 with WR and a DB on a free play.

It just takes a split second of indecision to get burned and the OL staying put certainly looked odd enough to slow reaction time down.

That is serious discipline from the OL and a great coaching job by the staff.

Now they just need to execute the play for a big gain next time.

Reactions: 17 people
That was extremely impressive. I was in awe at the knowledge they had and awareness to stay still. Incredible discipline.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not a trick play at all it's how the UT Oline is taught now when there is an offsides call

Reactions: 4 people
agree,that was a great play.something I've seen some of our teams do when we had really good olines.

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Tricket at FSU has been teaching this technique for a while. Thought it was awesome to see FSU do it a few years ago and awesome to see from our Vols today !

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Tricket at FSU has been teaching this technique for a while. Thought it was awesome to see FSU do it a few years ago and awesome to see from our Vols today !

Exactly, FSU has been doing it for years. I remember one time they kept showing a replay of it on ESPN and I was like...yeah they've done that for like a decade.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not a trick play at all it's how the UT Oline is taught now when there is an offsides call

Exactly. It's just a standard freeze play. Qb is taught to force the ball deep because its a free play.

actually, I think they knew the snap count and Stone and Worley were the only ones who knew to react. Worley was under center on that play.

Def a freeze play. There was no actual snap
count. QB tries to draw the defense offsides. If he succeeds, the center snaps the ball and the wr's run deep. Qb forces the ball up deep. It's a great play.

Def a freeze play. There was no actual snap
count. QB tries to draw the defense offsides. If he succeeds, the center snaps the ball and the wr's run deep. Qb forces the ball up deep. It's a great play.
We are kinda saying the same thing...different words.

actually, I think they knew the snap count and Stone and Worley were the only ones who knew to react. Worley was under center on that play.

I don't think there was a snap count. I think Worley was just up there trying to get them to jump. I don't think a play was called either. And they just waited for someone to jump. When they did, they took a chance deep.

I think it is a trick play if they were trying to draw them offsides which I think that's what they were doing and when they jumped the OL stayed put and if the defender had of slowed or stopped then they knew they would have a man wide open under a free play that would have been a score if executed.

I think it is a trick play if they were trying to draw them offsides which I think that's what they were doing and when they jumped the OL stayed put and if the defender had of slowed or stopped then they knew they would have a man wide open under a free play that would have been a score if executed.

It's very standard though. Most all teams try to take a deep shot when they draw the other team offsides.

VN Store

Back