The offensive line "trick" play

Is there any video of this? I missed 5 minutes of the game and of course this play happened then.

Sorry if there is a thread on this already, but that was actually a brilliant play.

When WKU jumped off sides the ball was snapped but the line stayed put. A lot of defenders react to movement on the OL but there was none. That left a 1 on 1 with WR and a DB on a free play.

It just takes a split second of indecision to get burned and the OL staying put certainly looked odd enough to slow reaction time down.

That is serious discipline from the OL and a great coaching job by the staff.

Now they just need to execute the play for a big gain next time.

Good post!

I don't think it was planned. Many teams teach the center to snap the ball if a defender encroaches into the neutral zone. Otherwise, if the defender gets back without contacting anyone, there is no penalty.

I believe whole line not moving was simply discipline. As big as CBJ is on minimizing penalties, I would think the O line is has been conditioned to never budge until the right snap count no matter what happens.

It is really brilliant if it works. I can easily see how a defender might hesitate because of the lack of movement of the line. All you need is a step or two to get the wideout behind the defender and bingo.

Very impressive. My son and I were discussing at the time and agreed that it was, oddly enough, the most impressive play we'd seen this year. Personally, I didn't think it was a called play - there was too long of a delay between the DL's initial encroachment and the snap.
However, called or not , it takes a remarkable amount of discipline for the ENTIRE OL to not even flinch. ... especially, considering the number of illegal procedures we have committed in recent memory for NO REASON AT ALL!

Last edited:
Very impressive. My son and I were discussing at the time and agreed that it was, oddly enough, the most impressive play we'd seen this year. Personally, I didn't think it was a called play - there was too long of a delay between the DL's initial encroachment and the snap.
However, called or not , it takes a remarkable amount of discipline for the ENTIRE OL to not even flinch. ... especially, considering the number of illegal procedures we have committed in recent memory for NO REASON AT ALL!

Def a called play. If not, everyone would have ran the play that was called when the center snapped the ball.

Sorry if there is a thread on this already, but that was actually a brilliant play.

When WKU jumped off sides the ball was snapped but the line stayed put. A lot of defenders react to movement on the OL but there was none. That left a 1 on 1 with WR and a DB on a free play.

It just takes a split second of indecision to get burned and the OL staying put certainly looked odd enough to slow reaction time down.

That is serious discipline from the OL and a great coaching job by the staff.

Now they just need to execute the play for a big gain next time.

It wasn't a tricky play. That is just what they are supposed to do.

Def a called play. If not, everyone would have ran the play that was called when the center snapped the ball.

The Lineman are listening to the count, not looking at the ball.

When the ball is snapped and they didnt here the count, they know what happened.

The only time you react is if the end jumps.

The Lineman are listening to the count, not looking at the ball.

When the ball is snapped and they didnt here the count, they know what happened.

The only time you react is if the end jumps.

Okay, so lets say your right and the play was called on two. The qb comes up and says "set go, go". Why does noone move? The DE jumped on the first go, but to believe the qb didn't get the second "go" out is unreasonable.

As a high school football coach, I can tell you we've always ran this play. We never go on two because we got tired of watching our own kids jump. So everything's on 1, unless we call a freeze play.

On freeze the qb comes up barking his cadence trying to get the defense to jump. Everyone is to freeze unless the ball is snapped. Then only the qb and wr are to move. The wr goes deep and the qb puts the ball in the air.

Last edited:
I've seen this many times, but never understood it. It seems that if you know you have a free play, pass protection would increase the chances of success. What is the point of letting the D-line rush the QB?

I've seen this many times, but never understood it. It seems that if you know you have a free play, pass protection would increase the chances of success. What is the point of letting the D-line rush the QB?

If your line doesn't move you don't have to worry about the official thinking the dline moved because your guy moved first.

Agreed it was def a called play. I think he wanted to test it out against a nobody to see how they done. JMO

And if that defender had of slowed or stopped our receiver would have been wide open for a TD that's what that play is designed to do.

And even if he doesn't, you still get a chance at coming down with the deep ball.

Earlier this year Butch talked about this situation and it's something they coach the o-line to do. Their hope is that when someone jumps offsides and the center sees it and snaps the ball, the QB tries to hit an open receiver. Butch said that when the o-line freezes, so too does the defense in some cases, leaving someone wide open. I think he said that his teams have scored on this play in each of his head coaching years.

Earlier this year Butch talked about this situation and it's something they coach the o-line to do. Their hope is that when someone jumps offsides and the center sees it and snaps the ball, the QB tries to hit an open receiver. Butch said that when the o-line freezes, so too does the defense in some cases, leaving someone wide open. I think he said that his teams have scored on this play in each of his head coaching years.

Yes but they call the play so as the QB tries to draw the other team off so this can take place.

Yes but they call the play so as the QB tries to draw the other team off so this can take place.

So you're saying Worley did something different with his cadence that caused them to jump offsides and it is a called play to attempt this? What if they don't jump?

So you're saying Worley did something different with his cadence that caused them to jump offsides and it is a called play to attempt this? What if they don't jump?

If they don't jump then UT would call a timeout.

we need a .GIF of the oline staying put

Alakazam! Agents of SHIELD grant thy request!

discipline6tsq9.gif

VN Store

Back