The Official ‘Smokey XI’ Thread!

It might just be me but dog breeds in general are just getting worse and uglier lol..Smokey looks okay but I just know in general,seems like everytime u see or go look at a breed it just little by little goes away from it's original genetics.Theirs a few out here that know what their doing,breeds,bloodlines,papers all that top to bottom,but for every 1 great breeder there's 9 puppy milll types just stock piling animals and tryin to make as much $ as possible.

To keep things going. This dog bread is at a greater risk of hip dysplasia, luxating patellas and autoimmune thyroiditis. Rugh rowwwwww. :p

But seriously, I'd love to have one...but being a hound I bet they smell pretty bad. (ugh oh, I did it again).

Mine does not smell bad. Worst case just rub a dryer sheet over them between baths.

The breed gets a little bit of a bad name because they were largely untrained and used solely for hunting.

I would agree that they can make a challenging house dog. You just have to be ready to exercise them and train them. They can be smart but super independent and stubborn. Atleast for mine, I can't emphasize the exercise enough. She never got the lazy hound dog memo. At 8 almost 9 yrs old still out runs every dog in the park.

11 Facts About Smokey XI – Torchbearer

THE BERNIE & ERNIE SHOW
What’s better than one puppy? You guessed it—two. Smokey XI, whose nickname at the Hudson house is Bernie, is besties with his brother Ernest. Their names harken back to Bernie and Ernie, the famous 1970s Vol basketball duo Bernard King and Ernest Grunfeld.

Last edited:
The announcers said it was Smokey X's last ride and I had a pang of dread and sorrow. Happily realized their intended meaning.

Reactions: MAD
Complete Smokey History
Blue Smokey (1953-1954)- Record was 10-10-1. He was fatally struck by a car after escaping from his home.

Smokey II (1955-1963)- Record was 58-39-5. Smokey died in Lexington shortly after the Vols' game against Kentucky, reportedly because someone fed him a chocolate pie.

Smokey III (1964-1977)- Record was 105-39-5. Passed away naturally.

Smokey IV (1978-1979)- Record was 12-10-1. Passed of cancer in December of 1979. Smokey never produced offspring before he passed, this broke the original bloodline.

Smokey V (1980-1983)- Record was 28-18-1. Passed away due to being hit by a car.

Smokey VI (1984-1991)- Record was 67-23-6. Passed away due to brain cancer. The only Smokey to ever be officially put on the Tennessee Football injury report from heat exhaustion at UCLA.

Smokey VII (1992-1994)- Record was 27-9. He was forced into early retirement after he nipped at the same UT band member in consecutive games in 1994.

Smokey VIII (1995-2003)- Record was 91-22. This is the most successful of the smokeys. Passed in 2006 due to complications of high blood pressure and kidney disease.

Smokey IX (2004-2012)- Record was 62-53. The most feisty smokey, bit an Alabama player in 2006 and even nipped a UT player.

Smokey X (2013-Present)- Record is 47-41. Will help Smokey XI learn the ropes this coming season.
THANKS for this canine history. Bay on, Smokey! :cool:

VN Store

Back