The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. #3 [1] Purdue Game Thread, 2:20 PM ET, ESPN

He had, at an absolute minimum, 3 fouls yesterday. The one that was called and then 2 under the basket fighting for a rebound, which were totally blatant and weren't called.

The reason the refs call no gray area fouls on him is because if they did he's foul out of every single game with several minutes left.

That's what makes the constant media defense of the officiating so grating. If the mentality of all these fawning ding dongs is "oh, he's just so big, he can't help it," then the SAME logic should apply to players who are smaller. "Oh they're too small to defend him properly, they can't help it." And then when the inevitable reply comes "they shouldn't get a pass for being small," then the retort is "then he shouldn't get a pass for being big." At worst, you call the fouls against him, and call the fouls for him, just like the rulebook says, and he probably fouls out in the first half of a lot of games and none of this ever becomes an issue.

That's what makes the constant media defense of the officiating so grating. If the mentality of all these fawning ding dongs is "oh, he's just so big, he can't help it," then the SAME logic should apply to players who are smaller. "Oh they're too small to defend him properly, they can't help it." And then when the inevitable reply comes "they shouldn't get a pass for being small," then the retort is "then he shouldn't get a pass for being big." At worst, you call the fouls against him, and call the fouls for him, just like the rulebook says, and he probably fouls out in the first half of a lot of games and none of this ever becomes an issue.
Yeah. It isn't the fact that he gets a benefit of the doubt that is annoying; it's that he gets it and other guys don't.

Reactions: Voltopia

There are size mismatches almost in every game. Do the referee's always give the benefit of the doubt to the taller person? I don't remember any game where it was so obvious biased for a specific player.

Yes I am biased but based on what I saw yesterday, the best player in college basketball wears Tennessee Orange. The tall guy just gets points by standing there and waiting for a foul.

There are size mismatches almost in every game. Do the referee's always give the benefit of the doubt to the taller person? I don't remember any game where it was so obvious biased for a specific player.

Not every "big man" gets the same treatment that Edey gets.

Not every "big man" gets the same treatment that Edey gets.

Unpopular opinion on here but I don't think Edey fouls that much. I think he knows the rules and how to "use" them. That separates him from other big men. I think he is just good and draws fouls plus knows how to skirt the line to avoid being called for them.

I think everyone is sold on UConn but I think Purdue is going to be a tough out.

Unpopular opinion on here but I don't think Edey fouls that much. I think he knows the rules and how to "use" them. That separates him from other big men. I think he is just good and draws fouls plus knows how to skirt the line to avoid being called for them.

I think everyone is sold on UConn but I think Purdue is going to be a tough out.

I could see your argument, if the refs actually called the blatant ones, but they don't.

Those look like fouls to me. None of them called.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
We screwed our best chance of getting to the Final Four by losing to Miss. State in the tourney and losing the No. 1 seed in the West.
And we see what happened--freakin' bama is in the Final Four. That absolutely sux.

We ended having to play a bad matchup 1 seed, and lose. We could have won the game--but simply didn't get enough from our supporting
cast. Ziggy had a poor offensive game, and that hurt, and getting nothing from Aidoo hurt.

What killed us was losing an 11 point lead
in the last 5 minutes of the first half--during which time we scored only 2 points. It can be said that that stretch of poor play ended up costing
us the game. Instead of Purdue chasing us in the 2nd, we were mostly chasing Purdue. Instead of having, say, at least an 8 point lead--we were behind at the half. Not good.

RE Aidoo: I've seen a lot of crazy, negative comments about the guy. Please. He improved tremendously this year. He was a very big part of our success. The guy is talented--he was our second-leading scorer in many games this season. But he does lack physical heft--and that made him a bad matchup with a hulking 7'4" opponent who moves well and is national player of the year. It is what it is. Next year Aidoo will be even better.

It's sad to be out because really good, national-contender-level teams are hard to come by. Getting to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 is hard to do. You hate to miss chances like this because it's not easy to get this far. But the program is in good shape and I know Barnes will get us back into contention again--and sooner rather than later. But too see bama in the final four sux badly--a dagger. I hate bama.

I agree but I do think there should have been a few 3 second calls. You cannot move a 7'4" 300 lb man that camps in the lane.

Reactions: volbound1700
We screwed our best chance of getting to the Final Four by losing to Miss. State in the tourney and losing the No. 1 seed in the West.
And we see what happened--freakin' bama is in the Final Four. That absolutely sux.

We ended having to play a bad matchup 1 seed, and lose. We could have won the game--but simply didn't get enough from our supporting
cast. Ziggy had a poor offensive game, and that hurt, and getting nothing from Aidoo hurt.

What killed us was losing an 11 point lead
in the last 5 minutes of the first half--during which time we scored only 2 points. It can be said that that stretch of poor play ended up costing
us the game. Instead of Purdue chasing us in the 2nd, we were mostly chasing Purdue. Instead of having, say, at least an 8 point lead--we were behind at the half. Not good.

RE Aidoo: I've seen a lot of crazy, negative comments about the guy. Please. He improved tremendously this year. He was a very big part of our success. The guy is talented--he was our second-leading scorer in many games this season. But he does lack physical heft--and that made him a bad matchup with a hulking 7'4" opponent who moves well and is national player of the year. It is what it is. Next year Aidoo will be even better.

It's sad to be out because really good, national-contender-level teams are hard to come by. Getting to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 is hard to do. You hate to miss chances like this because it's not easy to get this far. But the program is in good shape and I know Barnes will get us back into contention again--and sooner rather than later. But too see bama in the final four sux badly--a dagger. I hate bama.

I think we lost the 1 seed after we lost to UK unfortunately. I think we would have had to beat UK, Miss State, and at least one more win to get it.

Edey is a 4 year player and has learned how to play in the post and draw fouls plus his coach has had a major import in his development. Here’s the thing, our coaches knew he would be a tough cover playing him straight up. We decided to play him the same way as we did in Hawaii and hoped the whistle would not be as bad. The problem we had was no way to counter Edey when the whistle started to go his way. The only way to stop him is not let him get the ball or make him give it up quick with double downs. Purdue outside shooting was off yesterday, I thought going to some type of zone surrounding Edey to keep him from getting the ball was worth a look. In addition, I think we can all agree not resting ZZ any in the last two games was a mistake by our coaches. He had no lift in his shot yesterday and fatigue set in early and he tried to battle through it. We missed his points and Aidoo gave us nothing. Gainey should have got more minutes especially in the first half as we were playing ok and he’s a threat to make shots. Also JJJ. should have taken more shots yesterday in my opinion. The foul situation did not lose the game for us as we had a shot to win it at the end. The 5 minute period to end the first half played a big part in our downfall yesterday. We went from up 11 to trailing by 2 at the half. We had three straight possessions of not scoring and Purdue capitalized by scoring on 3 straight possessions. I agree Purdue will be tough out even for UCONN. Edey vs Clingan will a great matchup. Better get your popcorn ready for that one if it materializes.

Reactions: volbound1700
Edey is a 4 year player and has learned how to play in the post and draw fouls plus his coach has had a major import in his development. Here’s the thing, our coaches knew he would be a tough cover playing him straight up. We decided to play him the same way as we did in Hawaii and hoped the whistle would not be as bad. The problem we had was no way to counter Edey when the whistle started to go his way. The only way to stop him is not let him get the ball or make him give it up quick with double downs. Purdue outside shooting was off yesterday, I thought going to some type of zone surrounding Edey to keep him from getting the ball was worth a look. In addition, I think we can all agree not resting ZZ any in the last two games was a mistake by our coaches. He had no lift in his shot yesterday and fatigue set in early and he tried to battle through it. We missed his points and Aidoo gave us nothing. Gainey should have got more minutes especially in the first half as we were playing ok and he’s a threat to make shots. Also JJJ. should have taken more shots yesterday in my opinion. The foul situation did not lose the game for us as we had a shot to win it at the end. The 5 minute period to end the first half played a big part in our downfall yesterday. We went from up 11 to trailing by 2 at the half. We had three straight possessions of not scoring and Purdue capitalized by scoring on 3 straight possessions. I agree Purdue will be tough out even for UCONN. Edey vs Clingan will a great matchup. Better get your popcorn ready for that one if it materializes.

Knowing how to to play the post and draw fouls, and consistently not having fouls called against you by sympathetic officiating are not mutually exclusive.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with Edey drawing fouls, if officials actually called him for the blatant fouls that he commits himself.

If they had, he'd most likely have fouled out yesterday, and/or, been forced to sit due to being in foul trouble.

As it stands, he hasn't fouled out of a game since 2022, averages being called for 1.9 fouls/game, and while drawing an average of 9.5 fouls/game, and this isn't a one time occurrence.

I'll say again, ZZ looked exhausted. He was not the same player. Our shot selection at times was poor, and we knew what would happen with Awaka and fouls.

41 to 21 free throw disparity in 2 games is just too much to overcome.

I'm sick what Edey has gotten away with, not just against us.
For the season the Edey has shot 402 free throws through 37 games. That comes out to about 11 per game. That doesnt take into account the fouls that were called on the players guarding that happened before they were in the bonus. On the other hand he has only had 71 fouls called in him through 37 games. That is slightly less than two a game. Anyone who thinks these stats arent crooked, are either oblivious to the game or are Perdue fans.

The article basically concedes, and coordinator of officials who was interviewed admits that they put no gray area fouls on him, which is a form of special treatment. And that is a big deal because lots of fouls are gray area fouls. The key question is this: is that bolded part true a majority of the time? I'm not sure it is.
Exactly. Coach Barnes said officials "dont know how to officiate games Edey plays in." A foul is a foul, a walk is a walk, a hook and hold is a hook and hold, a travel is a travel and three seconds in the paint is three seconds in the paint whether you are 7 foot four or five foot six. They KNOW how to officiate games he plays they just CHOOSE not to.

He rarely fouls when contesting shots, but he often fouls when pursuing rebounds.

Reactions: gainesvol82
For the season the Edey has shot 402 free throws through 37 games. That comes out to about 11 per game. That doesnt take into account the fouls that were called on the players guarding that happened before they were in the bonus. On the other hand he has only had 71 fouls called in him through 37 games. That is slightly less than two a game. Anyone who thinks these stats arent crooked, are either oblivious to the game or are Perdue fans.
For perspective, the only NBA player with more than 11 FTA per game this year is Giannis Antetokounmpo. NBA fans despise the way the refs officiate him as well.

Then Awaka picked up his 3rd less than 2 minutes later and his 4th 2 minutes after that. Amazing that TN stayed in the game with Awaka sitting down with 4 fouls and 15 minutes left.

VN Store

Back