The Official Countdown To Tennessee Basketball 2024 (46 Days)

Did Tennessee offer Gary Edwards a scholarship?

Gary England. I don’t know if Mears offered. Jimmy was far, far better. Although GE’s 12.8 ppg as a senior made him the team leader at Barn.

Mike Edwards was from Greenfield, IN and played the same spot as Gary England and they were in the same class. Mike Edwards was the SEC Player of the Year his junior season. TN’s 2nd POY after Ron Widby and before King. Kevin Grevey (KY) and Wendell Hudson (Bama) tied a year later in 1972-73. I think that Wendall was the SEC’s first black POY - Bernard was the 2nd. Bernard King and Pete Maravich are the only 3x SEC POYs and each only played 3 years. Grant Williams had a shot as the 3rd 3x SEC POY but he skipped his senior season (although it would have been 3x in 4 years had he won it again).

Gary England. I don’t know if Mears offered. Jimmy was far, far better. Although GE’s 12.8 ppg as a senior made him the team leader at Barn.

Mike Edwards was from Greenfield, IN and played the same spot as Gary England and they were in the same class. Mike Edwards was the SEC Player of the Year his junior season. TN’s 2nd POY after Ron Widby and before King. Kevin Grevey (KY) and Wendell Hudson (Bama) tied a year later in 1972-73. I think that Wendall was the SEC’s first black POY - Bernard was the 2nd. Bernard King and Pete Maravich are the only 3x SEC POYs and each only played 3 years. Grant Williams had a shot as the 3rd 3x SEC POY but he skipped his senior season (although it would have been 3x in 4 years had he won it again).
Great post! 👍

66 Days!

On March 6th, 2024, Tennessee visited South Carolina and defeated them 66-59 to clinch their outright 11th regular season SEC Title.

1724992925513.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Pretty good, but still not the best from Fulton High School. I wonder who that could have been ?

Bill Justus was a terrific free throw shooter.

Justus was very good, but Jimmy England is UT’s GOAT at making his free throws.

Even Dog has a higher FT% at Fulton than Justus.

66 Days!

On March 6th, 2024, Tennessee visited South Carolina and defeated them 66-59 to clinch their outright 11th regular season SEC Title.

View attachment 671635

The basketball rivalry with South Carolina has always been a dogfight going back to the era of Dave Odom and continuing through the days of Frank Martin and Lamont Paris.

65 Days!

Ron Widby led the 1965-1966 team with 451 total points. Widby was also the punter for Tennessee Football and went on to play in the NFL with The Saints, Cowboys, and Packers. He was a Super Bowl champion with Dallas and a 1 time pro bowl selection.

1725077159912.jpeg

65 Days!

Ron Widby led the 1965-1966 team with 451 total points. Widby was also the punter for Tennessee Football and went on to play in the NFL with The Saints, Cowboys, and Packers. He was a Super Bowl champion with Dallas and a 1 time pro bowl selection.

View attachment 671937

Widby and D.D. Lewis were the best athletes to come out of Fulton High School.

60 Days!

As a freshman last year, Cameron Carr took part in 14 games, including six in SEC play and two in the NCAA Tournament, en route to compiling 23 points and seven assists in 60 minutes.

1725509479687.jpeg

Reactions: Volfan1000
60 Days!

As a freshman last year, Cameron Carr took part in 14 games, including six in SEC play and two in the NCAA Tournament, en route to compiling 23 points and seven assists in 60 minutes.

View attachment 673497
Can't believe we're getting that close to hoops. I'm exciting to get a look at these guys.

VN Store

Back