The Official What Other Message Boards Are Saying: West Virginia Edition

VolAllen

First and foremost, let's all thank @chatt-townVOL for his efforts in the What Other Message Boards Are Saying threads over the years. Congratulations to him on his most recent promotions, which is the cause of this abrupt change. I will try to make this transition as smooth as possible, but there are big shoes to fill. I just hope I last longer than John Currie.

We also all need to thank @Freak. After visiting some other message boards, we have a true gem here at Volnation. So thanks to @Freak and all the mods that contribute their time and efforts to make this such a wonderful place.

Without further ado, here is What Other Message Boards Are Saying: West Virginia Edition

This game is a special one for me. My wife was born in West Virginia, and while she is now all Vol, her family is not. We've been talking about this game since Dooley's orange pants paced our sidelines. They're the typical WVU fans. Never been to a game. Can't name the starting QB. Can't even name the coach. However, yellow WV's are sprinkled throughout their house as if they've been to every game since Major Harris.

To start, this is how most of their fans feel about our current state

"If we (meaning WVU) can't beat a Tennessee team that is down and out and hired an Alabama assistant coach as their 8th choice to try and turn their program around. Then it's going to be a long season."

Here's an absolute beauty. A thread titled "Will Grier ???"

"I have a good friend who used steroids for a few years because he wanted to be a WWF wrestler.
A few months ago he slips on a wet floor and breaks his hand. The fall was not particularly hard.
According to the doctor is hand would not have been broken if his bones were stronger. The doctor was surprise about how much damage was done.
So I ask the question about Will Grier and his PED history
Are his bones brittle. It did not seem like he fell particularly hard when he broke his finger."

This poster has at least a little bit of sense

"Beware. Butch Jones was recruiting well at Tennessee, but for some reason he lost the team and they basically quit.
We won't see the SAME team that lost eight straight in the SEC last year.
We will see a pissed off team ready to prove a point."

A few gems

"Their fanbase is impressive - the amount of forum posts they have is insane...They're not impressed with us/our fans either"

"It’s pretty amazing actually. The Tennessee fan base is like having 50,000 the Dude of West Virginia’s around. No wonder everyone in the SEC hates them."

"I think I heard on Holgorsen's radio show that the crowd is likely to be about 60% pro WVU."

"If we believe that uniforms are bad luck, maybe this team isn't as prepared as we thought. Wear the storm troopers when the team wants. They are the best looking uniform we have."

"Yea, my butt cheeks scrunch up a bit when we don't have a warm up game.
I guess the fact that the Vols are facing us without their warm up game as well should even things out, but I would not place any bets on this one. Both teams have HUGE question marks on defense."

"I’ve been listening to a lot of CFB talk on sirius...a week ago they broke down the “big” opening weekend games. They were laughing at our game and wondering if we will win by 35 or 50. They think Tennessee is a 3-4 win team and this is a mismatch. So did the national show last Sunday...total laugher, non-competitive.
I don’t get the “win by 10 if we get an early turnover” thinking. This isn’t TCU in Ft. Worth we are talking about, this is a team that was only superior to kansas among P5 programs last year. We better, and will win, by 28+"

"That will just make it all the sweeter when we pound them into orange dust on national TV ... which we will." (while discussing our superior recruiting ratings)

"Over/under 61. 50 of that is expected of us."

"When is the last time we played a regular season game on CBS?" (they can thank us for that)

"Hes so monotone,he kept saying how excited he was and didn't believe him. I'd love to see his pregame speech..." (regarding Pruitt)

"I dont like this team. You get the sense that they don't respect us.
It feels like they expect to pound us into the ground and we are soft!
I hope long lays it on their RB and we have some huge hits!"

"Not sure you have done much research but Tennessee is switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 front. Everyone there is learning a new defensive scheme. Even Pruitt mentioned defense would be a learning curve this season. All sports sites are reporting the same thing as well as Tennessee writers."

"This is going to be a statement game... Tennessee will be overwhelmed with our offense and our defense will hold up. Look for Grier and company to start the season, and his Heisman campaign, off with a bang."

"Will Grier plays the UT defense like it's a video game whilst our defense bends, but doesn't break. Next Day's Headline: Will Grier and WVU Are For Real"

Score predictions

I think you line up well with what Vegas is saying. 10 pt spread at 60 total. I definitely like the over as the safer bet. So many unknowns in this game, even for a first game.
WVU 27
UT 44

I think UT will struggle mightily in the SEC but ultimately get 6 wins. I think we end up with 7 mostly due to the in conference bye weeks known as Baylor Kansas and ISU. -
a neutral fan

28 to 24 WVU wins. WVU D comes up with a 4th quarter stop. Will gets to line up in Victory formation.

45-17 the good guys. - WVU fan

WVU 31 , Tennessee 17

30-28 WVU

WVU 45, UTen 13

52-21 WVU in a snoozer. Game will be over by 2nd Quarter.

Tennessee won't be able to keep the offense on the field, and the tide turns early and the Mountaineers score in buckets.
WVU cruises to a 48-21 win. Grier throws for 350+.

I think the game is going to be much closer than many expect.
Tennessee will pound the rock, eat the clock and play strong defense.
Grier will get 300 yards passing and we'll have 100 yards rushing
I'll go with
WVU 24
TN 20

WVU 1,000
UT 0

Close game in first minute then gets ugly.

I'll be honest, the Billy's think it's a perfect storm for them to come out and smoke us. I actually think it's just the opposite. They've got a team who went 4-8 under poor leadership, with a chip on it's shoulder. A rabid dog that's been caged for 8 months. I'm gazing into my crystal ball, and I see the Vols come out and punch WVU right in the throat and never look back. The Fulmer curse has been lifted. The Pruitt era begins.

Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

torchbearer-with-snow.png

tenor.gif

First and foremost, let's all thank @chatt-townVOL for his efforts in the What Other Message Boards Are Saying threads over the years. Congratulations to him on his most recent promotions, which is the cause of this abrupt change. I will try to make this transition as smooth as possible, but there are big shoes to fill. I just hope I last longer than John Currie.

We also all need to thank @Freak. After visiting some other message boards, we have a true gem here at Volnation. So thanks to @Freak and all the mods that contribute their time and efforts to make this such a wonderful place.

Without further ado, here is What Other Message Boards Are Saying: West Virginia Edition

This game is a special one for me. My wife was born in West Virginia, and while she is now all Vol, her family is not. We've been talking about this game since Dooley's orange pants paced our sidelines. They're the typical WVU fans. Never been to a game. Can't name the starting QB. Can't even name the coach. However, yellow WV's are sprinkled throughout their house as if they've been to every game since Major Harris.

"If we (meaning WVU) can't beat a Tennessee team that is down and out and hired an Alabama assistant coach as their 8th choice to try and turn their program around. Then it's going to be a long season."

"I have a good friend who used steroids for a few years because he wanted to be a WWF wrestler.
A few months ago he slips on a wet floor and breaks his hand. The fall was not particularly hard.
According to the doctor is hand would not have been broken if his bones were stronger. The doctor was surprise about how much damage was done.
Are his bones brittle. It did not seem like he fell particularly hard when he broke his finger."

"Beware. Butch Jones was recruiting well at Tennessee, but for some reason he lost the team and they basically quit.

A few gems

"Their fanbase is impressive - the amount of forum posts they have is insane...They're not impressed with us/our fans either"

"It’s pretty amazing actually. The Tennessee fan base is like having 50,000 the Dude of West Virginia’s around. No wonder everyone in the SEC hates them."

"I think I heard on Holgorsen's radio show that the crowd is likely to be about 60% pro WVU."

"If we believe that uniforms are bad luck, maybe this team isn't as prepared as we thought. Wear the storm troopers when the team wants. They are the best looking uniform we have."

I guess the fact that the Vols are facing us without their warm up game as well should even things out, but I would not place any bets on this one. Both teams have HUGE question marks on defense."

"I’ve been listening to a lot of CFB talk on sirius...a week ago they broke down the “big” opening weekend games. They were laughing at our game and wondering if we will win by 35 or 50. They think Tennessee is a 3-4 win team and this is a mismatch. So did the national show last Sunday...total laugher, non-competitive.
I don’t get the “win by 10 if we get an early turnover” thinking. This isn’t TCU in Ft. Worth we are talking about, this is a team that was only superior to kansas among P5 programs last year. We better, and will win, by 28+"

"That will just make it all the sweeter when we pound them into orange dust on national TV ... which we will." (while discussing our superior recruiting ratings)

"When is the last time we played a regular season game on CBS?" (they can thank us for that)

"Hes so monotone,he kept saying how excited he was and didn't believe him. I'd love to see his pregame speech..." (regarding Pruitt)

"Not sure you have done much research but Tennessee is switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 front. Everyone there is learning a new defensive scheme. Even Pruitt mentioned defense would be a learning curve this season. All sports sites are reporting the same thing as well as Tennessee writers."

"This is going to be a statement game... Tennessee will be overwhelmed with our offense and our defense will hold up. Look for Grier and company to start the season, and his Heisman campaign, off with a bang."

"Will Grier plays the UT defense like it's a video game whilst our defense bends, but doesn't break. Next Day's Headline: Will Grier and WVU Are For Real"

Score predictions

I think you line up well with what Vegas is saying. 10 pt spread at 60 total. I definitely like the over as the safer bet. So many unknowns in this game, even for a first game.
WVU 27
UT 44

I think UT will struggle mightily in the SEC but ultimately get 6 wins. I think we end up with 7 mostly due to the in conference bye weeks known as Baylor Kansas and ISU. -
a neutral fan

28 to 24 WVU wins. WVU D comes up with a 4th quarter stop. Will gets to line up in Victory formation.

WVU 31 , Tennessee 17

30-28 WVU

WVU 45, UTen 13

Tennessee won't be able to keep the offense on the field, and the tide turns early and the Mountaineers score in buckets.

I'll go with
WVU 24
TN 20

WVU 1,000
UT 0

I'll be honest, the Billy's think it's a perfect storm for them to come out and smoke us. I actually think it's just the opposite. They've got a team who went 4-8 under poor leadership, with a chip on it's shoulder. A rabid dog that's been caged for 8 months. I'm gazing into my crystal ball, and I see the Vols come out and punch WVU right in the throat and never look back. The Fulmer curse has been lifted. The Pruitt era begins.

View attachment 165339

Very well done Sir. I read all of these today on their BlueandGold message board.(Which BTW is awful and I mean awful compared to what @Freak has created here at VN) The funniest comment was the guy who stated that we were running a 3-4 last year and are switching to a 4-3 this year.... Guess he didn't do too much research. Considering it's actually vice versa.

Edit: Also, we are going to wreak havoc on their 3-3-5 defense. If they think they are going to be able to stop our running with that defense they will be sadly mistaken.

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn't want to let you down, but the Billy's didn't give me a whole lot to work with. I expect these to be a bit bare until the 4th week.

Their message boards were pathetic. I was starting to wonder if they even had a fan base...

Reactions: VolAllen
PS - Country Roads is about westERN Virginia, not West Virginia. The geography described in the lyrics just doesn't make sense for it to be about WV. WestERN Virginia just didn't have a good ring to it.

FYI.

PS - Country Roads is about westERN Virginia, not West Virginia. The geography described in the lyrics just doesn't make sense for it to be about WV. WestERN Virginia just didn't have a good ring to it.

FYI.
He actually considered making the song about Massachusetts iirc.

A few gems

Score predictions

WVU 27
UT 44

a neutral fan

WVU 31 , Tennessee 17

30-28 WVU

WVU 45, UTen 13

I'll go with
WVU 24
TN 20

WVU 1,000
UT 0

View attachment 165339

I regret the fact I only have one like to give, but here it is - take it and do with it how you see fit.

“This isn’t TCU in Ft. Worth we are talking about, this is a team that was only superior to kansas among P5 programs last year. We better, and will win, by 28+"

Ok so....

A) Kansas hung 34 points on you. They had multiple games where they couldn’t come up with a single point, but hung 34 on y’all. That was the 2nd highest points scored of their season

B) How were we only superior to Kansas in P5? There were multiple 1 and 2 win P5 teams besides Kansas... one of them was Baylor... who is in your conference.....

“This isn’t TCU in Ft. Worth we are talking about, this is a team that was only superior to kansas among P5 programs last year. We better, and will win, by 28+"

Ok so....

A) Kansas hung 34 points on you. They had multiple games where they couldn’t come up with a single point, but hung 34 on y’all. That was the 2nd highest points scored of their season

B) How were we only superior to Kansas in P5? There were multiple 1 and 2 win P5 teams besides Kansas... one of them was Baylor... who is in your conference.....
I guess it's hard to get up each and every week in college when you play inferior teams like Kansas...........or UMASS.

Good job
I hope you keep it up because these have been my favorite game threads. I look forward to them every game.

VN Store

Back