The Official What Other Message Boards Are Saying: West Virginia Edition

Just tried to search their "best" forums... and the last post was from like 7/24. What a fan base! It's game week people! Almost 2 days... GBO!

Reactions: VolAllen
Just tried to search their "best" forums... and the last post was from like 7/24. What a fan base! It's game week people! Almost 2 days... GBO!

Yeah, I was trying to search for some of their message boards and the one that I kept stumbling onto (that wasn't a 24/7 message board), was just pitiful. I only went through the first 50 threads, and only 2 of them had double digit posts.

Reactions: Vol777 and VolAllen
Yeah, I was trying to search for some of their message boards and the one that I kept stumbling onto (that wasn't a 24/7 message board), was just pitiful. I only went through the first 50 threads, and only 2 of them had double digit posts.
What did you expect? There aint a lot going on up there but coal and inbreeding and coal is dead!

I've always wished someone would do one of these for the day after the game too, so we can see how they react to the win/loss.

I actually tried to start doing that last year, but the problem is it’s not fun to do after they beat us. There isn’t much to post except post-game high fives among their fans.

And we were losing a lot....

Reactions: Behr and solivols

It's shocking to me how few teams have their own dedicated message boards. Most of the ones you find are hosted by Rivals or 247. Even when they do, it often looks like something out of the 90's. VolNation is so far ahead and most of the other college football forums out there.

It's shocking to me how few teams have their own dedicated message boards. Most of the ones you find are hosted by Rivals or 247. Even when they do, it often looks like something out of the 90's. VolNation is so far ahead and most of the other college football forums out there.
It is weird to me too.

We have Freak. They don't.

I think that they will need to abandon the 3-3-5 by halftime. Not sure if we win or not because a lot of unknowns, but with a healthy offensive line I think we get enough to keep the chains moving consistently against a 3-3-5.

So, I mean, let's be logical here for just a second, if that's allowed.

You have a team who was 7-6 last year. Their wins? East Carolina (who went 3-9). Delaware State (who went 2-10, and lost to Mizzou 79-0, and Florida State 77-6, and only beat 2 teams by 6 points total). Kansas (who was 1-11). Texas Tech (who went 6-7). Baylor (who went 1-11). The two teams they beat that had a winning record is Kansas State (8-5) and Iowa State (8-5). So their "wins" had a combined record of 29-58.
From THAT 7-6 team, you are bringing back 15 of 22 starters. Replacing 3 on offense, and 4 on defense. They are bringing back their defensive line, but they were one of the worst units in the country last year, averaging basically 5 yards allowed per rush. They lost their 1000 yard RB, and also their leading tackler. They lost 3 defensive backs in a crappy unit to begin with, so they're restocking a unit that wasn't good to begin with.

On top of that, they had 14 players transfer this year alone (Fun fact; one of them was former Vol Ray Raulerson). So they also do not have a ton of depth either. Kansas ran for over 300 yards on these guys last year. KANSAS.

So, here's the thing. I am not impressed. Can Will Grier be good? Sure. He throws it on average 35 times a game, and has good protection and wide receivers. I am not gonna take a thing away from their passing game. That's their identity. Gave up 14 sacks last year. Not bad at all.

But their team has serious depth issues just like ours does. You don't lose 14 scholarship players (half a recruiting class) and not suffer from it. Yes, they brought in some JUCO help, okay, cool. They brought in a recruiting class that was ranked #33. Meanwhile, ours was #20 and Pruitt was hired late and only had a little bit of time.

The fact is....the hype on West Virginia is unproven. They put up big numbers on offense against crappy opponents last year, and even big numbers on some good opponents (hung 39 on Oklahoma). BUT, when faced with a solid offense, their defense didn't perform. They won games they should have won, and the only games you can argue they have any bragging rights about is K-State and Iowa State. Other than that, totally underwhelming.

We absolutely can win this game. No doubt in my mind. Dana is griping because he knows expectations are through the roof, and this team is not gonna match them, and he is already on the hot seat. This team has a good offense as long as they're passing, they have a defensive line who can't get to the QB, stop the run, or the pass (gave up 409 points last year, ranking 90th. We were 83rd even with all of our woes.)

Our biggest question mark is our offense. We ranked 119th out of 130 in points scored last year. Pathetic. BUT. We all know that we had the talent to do more. We have Jennings back, who has potential to be every bit as good as Sills for WVU. We have Calloway who really started to break out last year. We're hearing great things about Brandon Johnson, Palmer, Murphy, Byrd, and some of the others that are here now. We're gonna have a great tight end in Wood-Anderson, we're shaping up an OL (our biggest concern, let's be real). Chandler and Jordan are going to be better than expected. And I mean, we know that JG is capable of more than he did, and if it's not JG, then Chryst is a fantastic game manager who can keep us in games.

If two things happen, we win this game: 1) If our OL shapes up and protects the QB and opens up holes for Jordan/Chandler/London, and 2) If our DB play significantly improves. Those things happen, and we will win.

These guys are over-hyped. We can get this one and make a statement. Go Freaking Vols.

They think their little midget LB will have a field day...In a sense he will, he will be all over the field Saturday in true Pancake fashion.

Trey Smith and Kennedy will ensure that their defense has more sod on them than the field has.

Oh, and by the way, we were like, what, 18 points from being 7-5 and headed to a bowl last year. And we were 119th in points scored. You REALLY think with the individual talent we had on that team last year that that was their ceiling? 119/130? Heck no. No way we don't see improvement there. Not saying we'll be world beaters. But....we definitely are not going to be a Butch team anymore.

I think that they will need to abandon the 3-3-5 by halftime. Not sure if we win or not because a lot of unknowns, but with a healthy offensive line I think we get enough to keep the chains moving consistently against a 3-3-5.

I believe you're correct especially with Trey as our LT. He will singlehandedly crush that side of their defense. He'll get our RBs to the 2nd level of their D frequently is my prediction. WVU will have to make adjustment early and they will be ineffective against Trey. I think he wants this to be his statement game.

Reactions: rocketskates
I think I would not post anything about our (WVU) message boards because I'm sure I could count on one hand how many here care how they got the way you have found them but I am triggered by another Mountaineer's post. The premium 24/7 board is rife with elitist attitudes and that has played a role in killing the "free" board. Their real demise, though, began over a decade ago. The deterioration of our forums has been an inside job.

At one time, the Rivals board and BlueandGoldNews were very active communities. There were a couple others that were okay but those were the main two. They didn't like each other in many ways and that was due to what seemed like animosity between the owners of each board. That dislike, though, was good for traffic and each forum developed a personality of sorts. One more doom and gloom and the other more rah rah. Doesn't matter which was which.

Then Rich Rodriguez kicked the apple cart over. When he left there was a fracture amongst the fans on both boards. When Bill Stewart was given the job in an emotional moment there were more splits creating four camps. Those who supported Rich and Stewart. Those who supported Rich but not Stewart. Those who did not support Rich but did Stewart and those that supported neither of them.

I explain it like that to illustrate that each new split multiplied the fractured camps. In just two splits, four camps emerged and with each new split, the camps multiplied by two. From four to eight and so on.

The next split was when the AD was replaced. There was an additional split when that happened because the good old boy network had been ousted. The GOB guys happened to include the owner of the biggest radio station network in WV and the Morgantown newspaper.

The new AD named Dana Holgerson head coach in waiting. Another split. Stewart was supposed to coach one more season and hand the job over to Dana. Stew had other thoughts, however, and with media connections he tried to have Dana's name smeared in the press.

An ethical journalist in Pittsburgh who had been approached to participate in the smear revealed the effort in print. Stewart was fired. Another split. Stewart was also a state native, Dana is not. Split again.

Many of the trolling posts on WVU boards are WVU fans who want Dana fired. Not for rational reasons. They wanted him fired even after beating Clemson 70-33 in the Orange Bowl. Often when you read a post like one that says we should be embarrassed if we lose to The Vols, it is a Dana hater who is hoping they can feign their embarrassment Saturday night.

The boards fought so much that large numbers of people just quit the forums. I no longer post on any Mountaineer forum. There aren't dozens of others like me, there are hundreds. BlueandGoldNews was probably the closest to VN before it went to Scout...and even a good while after going to Scout. The shell of it's carcass was picked clean when 24/7 bought Scout and the owners of that domain name started over from scratch.

I still read the boards now and then. If you want a sense of how these boards fell into the state of crap they are in, read the post on both the football and basketball boards on 24/7 that is a PSA from a moderator. Therein lies the attitude of the elitist who will have you believe the premium 24/7 site is the best. It may be but it's nothing like what we used to have with BGN and Rivals (which was also independent at one time).

I apologize for writing so much on your forum about this. If I hadn't noticed y'all have a great function that contains long posts in a regular box size unless clicked to expand, I wouldn't post this diatribe. WVU had two great boards at one time but we ate our own, so to say, and the only reason to check them now is to see if there's been any new commits. Or to ridicule and mock them.

Good luck on a great season starting September 2nd. In a way, we're both Eers!

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Reactions: VolAllen

VN Store

Back