The problem of "deep fakes"

What should be done about them? Are you concerned? We've already seen the WH use sped up video to suggest Jim Acosta pushed away the arm of a WH intern. And Trump retweeted the fake Nancy Pelosi slurred speech video. And these were crude fakes. We haven't seen the well-made "deep fakes," but we will.

Google, Facebook and Twitter sent letters about deepfakes by Rep. Schiff
Just means that these criminals are getting worried about what they have done is coming out. Probably some recordings and video to document their evil deeds.

What should be done about them? Are you concerned?

This seems somewhat like the hacker problem. Tech's ability to detect fake videos is improving, but so is the quality of the videos.

Where will this be in five years? I don't know.

Lol. This isnt new. Journalists have been editing pieces to fit their narrative for a long time.

This is not about selective editing or speeding up or slowing down real video. This is creating fake videos whole cloth that are nearly impossible to distinguish from real video footage.

Deep fakes has led to deep nudes too. There's an app I read about that can take an ordinary pic and convert it to a nudie that looks "plausibly realistic".

This is not about selective editing or speeding up or slowing down real video. This is creating fake videos whole cloth that are nearly impossible to distinguish from real video footage.
Dont buy everything you see. Same as previous editing. I dont know how you stop it. Only thing is just the balancing act between the tech to produce it vs the tech to detect it. As it's always been.

Real issue is being able to trust the people who are supposed to be diagnosing the truth calling the game fairly. As it is they are all on someone's payroll

Deep fakes has led to deep nudes too. There's an app I read about that can take an ordinary pic and convert it to a nudie that looks "plausibly realistic".

Faceback app.....
giphy.gif

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Dont buy everything you see.

We've got conspiracy nuts here repeating whatever anonymous people tweet (so long as it fits their world view) and you're saying don't believe video you see?

Yeah, that's going to happen.

Stanford is actually working on these. Some of them are deeply accurate in terms of voice and facial motions.

We've got conspiracy nuts here repeating whatever anonymous people tweet (so long as it fits their world view) and you're saying don't believe video you see?

What's your solution. Dumb people are dumb. Heck even not dumb people or dumb sometimes. Always going to be that way. People fall for the really bad photoshops and lies on the internet. It getting ratcheted up a notch isnt a change. If anything it just emphasises that people need to be smarter about what info they consume.

don’t believe all videos , don’t believe all tweets , did we just see not long ago that a study showed only 10% of the people make up like 80% of the tweets ? I know I posted that link somewhere .

Last edited:
What should be done about them? Are you concerned? We've already seen the WH use sped up video to suggest Jim Acosta pushed away the arm of a WH intern. And Trump retweeted the fake Nancy Pelosi slurred speech video. And these were crude fakes. We haven't seen the well-made "deep fakes," but we will.

Google, Facebook and Twitter sent letters about deepfakes by Rep. Schiff
Wow you’re suggestible. Media / Dems spew faux outrage/fears and you regurgitate.

Why the big concern now? What’s driving this?

Ever consider there is actual video that certain people would want to undermine before it hits the public?

I’ve yet to see a “deep fake” that was convincing.

Reactions: BUBear

You post everything you see on Twitter here, so...

VN Store

Back