The Rock/Metal Thread

Drummer Mike Portnoy is officially back with Dream Theater! Hell yes!
What the band needs more than anything is to work with outside producers on any future albums. They definitely need an outside voice to push them to keep from being stale at this point.

What the band needs more than anything is to work with outside producers on any future albums. They definitely need an outside voice to push them to keep from being stale at this point.
Don't they work with producer Kevin Shirley? DT has definitely been hit and miss the last decade but Distance Over Time is a top 5 DT for me! I think that album is fantastic!

Don't they work with producer Kevin Shirley? DT has definitely been hit and miss the last decade but Distance Over Time is a top 5 DT for me! I think that album is fantastic!
I think they only worked with him on Falling Into Infinity, which I think is one of their best albums. I think they’ve gone too technical to the point that they’ve forgotten how to make great songs. I also think Jordan Rudess as talented as he is needs to be replaced with Derek Sherenian. They’re one of my all time favorite bands. I got to see them live a couple of years ago and it was the most boring concert I’ve ever attended. They might as well all sit down in chairs for their show with as little moving as they do. And that all comes back to the being overly technical part that they’ve evolved into. Yeah, they need someone to re-direct them.

I think they only worked with him on Falling Into Infinity, which I think is one of their best albums. I think they’ve gone too technical to the point that they’ve forgotten how to make great songs. I also think Jordan Rudess as talented as he is needs to be replaced with Derek Sherenian. They’re one of my all time favorite bands. I got to see them live a couple of years ago and it was the most boring concert I’ve ever attended. They might as well all sit down in chairs for their show with as little moving as they do. And that all comes back to the being overly technical part that they’ve evolved into. Yeah, they need someone to re-direct them.
I totally get it with them and their technicality. Their time signature changes also sometimes feel so jarring and not even necessary. They need to shoot for being more like Rush where all their time changes felt natural.

Just curious, if you like DT, do you ever listen to Symphony X?

I totally get it with them and their technicality. Their time signature changes also sometimes feel so jarring and not even necessary. They need to shoot for being more like Rush where all their time changes felt natural.

Just curious, if you like DT, do you ever listen to Symphony X?
I do. I love that band.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer

VN Store

Back