The Rock/Metal Thread

I absolutely love this concert! This is the "Speak of the Devil" concert, shortly after Randy Rhoads died! I have so much respect for Brad Gillis here. He had to replace a guitar legend and he had 3 days to learn these songs. Man, talk about a pressure cooker situation and he stepped up BIG TIME and did a phenomenal job!

I love Ozzy's "Dracula's Castle" stage and those laser effects were pretty cutting edge for that time period.

[youtube]

I absolutely love this concert! This is the "Speak of the Devil" concert, shortly after Randy Rhoads died! I have so much respect for Brad Gillis here. He had to replace a guitar legend and he had 3 days to learn these songs. Man, talk about a pressure cooker situation and he stepped up BIG TIME and did a phenomenal job!

I love Ozzy's "Dracula's Castle" stage and those laser effects were pretty cutting edge for that time period.

[youtube]

Gillis did a great job. Ozzy had some guitarists that had the gig and then had it revoked that would have been interesting. George Lynch, Alex Skolnick, Gary Hoey, and Steve Vai all worked with him before Sharon decided they just weren’t the right fit.

Gillis did a great job. Ozzy had some guitarists that had the gig and then had it revoked that would have been interesting. George Lynch, Alex Skolnick, Gary Hoey, and Steve Vai all worked with him before Sharon decided they just weren’t the right fit.

I would have loved to have gotten at least one original Ozzy album with Brad on guitar! I understand that his heart was with Night Ranger but damn...what a missed opportunity!

I'll say another thing about Brad. While Randy was a legendary player, one of the all time greats, I actually prefer Brad's TONE on these songs over Randy's (not the playing). I also actually prefer the way Brad played the classic Sabbath tunes over the way Randy played them. Now, if I had a choice, obviously I would have preferred Randy over Brad. However Brad was a terrific player in his own right and would've made a great permanent replacement.

Wow! Ozzy has dropped a new single called Under The Graveyard and its terrific! And I don't mean in an "awww, look at Ozzy still making music at 70" kind way! This is truly a badass song!

It’s a cool song. It’s really weird not having Zakk not playing on it though.

Reactions: peaygolf

Zep already knows this...but it turns out that 1 of my brothers is related to a guitarist in KJ...and they somehow got to open for TOOL on this tour...so I am going to see them for the 3rd time in the last 30 years in Raleigh on 11.24 and actually get to hangout backstage before and after. I know there are some here who arent big TOOL fans but they have been my fave since the 90s. Couldnt be anymore excited. Gonna have to knock over a liquor store to buy a bunch of cool merch with Christmas being only a month after. I wouldnt even go and spend any money at all other than on my wife and kids if it wasnt a once in a lifetime thing. Last saw Maynard in APC at the Charlotte Hornets training facility almost 20 years ago? Super excited.

VN Store

Back