The Standard Restaurant (Norman)

My son and I have a hotel about four miles from Oklahoma City airport. We will take an Uber to your bar and then walk to the stadium.

Question- will it be easy to get an Uber from Norman to Oklahoma City after the game?

I was at the game in Norman in 2014. We stayed in Oklahoma City and ubered to Norman.

Spent the entire day there. The Oklahoma people were amazing. Some random guy paid for our lunch and drinks anonymously with the message “Welcome to Norman. Have a great time.” Oklahoma folks kept shoving more beer in front of us. It was a great place.

But to answer your question, there wasn’t an available Uber to be found after the game. Or a taxi. We wandered around Norman until after midnight…still no Ubers available.

Some friendly Oklahoma fans ended up driving us back to Oklahoma City. Still appreciative to this day!

Now Uber was newish back then, so it may be different today. But you might want to make sure you have a way back after the game.

I was at the game in Norman in 2014. We stayed in Oklahoma City and ubered to Norman.

Spent the entire day there. The Oklahoma people were amazing. Some random guy paid for our lunch and drinks anonymously with the message “Welcome to Norman. Have a great time.” Oklahoma folks kept shoving more beer in front of us. It was a great place.

But to answer your question, there wasn’t an available Uber to be found after the game. Or a taxi. We wandered around Norman until after midnight…still no Ubers available.

Some friendly Oklahoma fans ended up driving us back to Oklahoma City. Still appreciative to this day!

Now Uber was newish back then, so it may be different today. But you might want to make sure you have a way back after the game.
Thanks. I rather not rent a car as it’s such a nuisance and another expense. Plus I rather. It drive to and from Norman, and search for parking.

My suggestion on the Uber deal- I’d look into reserving a car service. It’s a little pricey, but it’ll be cheaper than Uber surge pricing after a football game and you’ll have zero stress. There are plenty listed.

Reactions: tbh and DC_Vol
Smart move. Drop some Orange food coloring in a couple kegs of light beer and you’ll make a killing
Hey, we all have limits with fandom. I'd suggest bringing some orange food coloring and we'll let you do whatever you please with your beer. :)
I will come by as well. Thank you for mentioning the Oklahoma local crafts beers. I am a HUGE fan of Prairie Artisan Ales and can tell you that in my area of Florida my local taproom cannot keep it on tap they go so fast.
Really appreciate you reaching out!
Prairie is way legit and love the national reach they have. I have been a regular in their taproom in OKC for several years. We always have some Prairie on tap.
A bigger set of masochists cannot be found on game day in all of college football which is why I for years now do not enter the game day thread until after half time. However you'll not find a more fired up fan base in all of college football than what sings the Rocky Top!! The last time y'all came to Neyland most of your fans swooned including members of your team at that time who wrote about it. I hope we return the favor on the field as this time we have the all world QB in our backfield and our D has yet to yield a TD this season.
Love the passion! That's SEC football, baby, and I know that Vols are some of the most dedicated. Things I love about bluebloods: We all know how to talk football.
We will be there as well but I am a big fan of gay fruity beers like Bluemoon @TheStandardNorman Got any of those??
It sounds like you took a gander at what we have on tap. There are plenty of options that will suite the gay fruity palette. Ha.
I wonder if this guy realizes who he just invited in to his fine establishment…..only fanbase who can take over a bar worse than us is LSU- but in both cases, the beer sales and hot women will more than make up for the lewd and obnoxious behavior …. Just keep playing rocky top real loud and they’ll never leave!

In all seriousness, love the hustle and hope you make a killing on Gameday !
Oh, I am well aware of the potential "selling my soul" part of all of this. :cool: Throw in some nice talent and y'all are welcome any day!
My son and I have a hotel about four miles from Oklahoma City airport. We will take an Uber to your bar and then walk to the stadium.

Question- will it be easy to get an Uber from Norman to Oklahoma City after the game?
This sounds like a good plan pregame. I mentioned we're about a mile from the stadium, but it's actually closer to 1.5 miles. Just a heads up. I will post an ideal walking route in a post to follow to catch all the scenes and land right in the middle of Campus Corner/tailgating. Postgame can get a little tricky. With 100k+ population added to Norman, cell service can get a little dicey. However, if you're willing to hang around an hour or so postgame you shouldn't have any issue with cell service and/or finding an Uber.

Man, what a cool story and I'm not surprised. There are a lot of friendly folks around these parts.
My suggestion on the Uber deal- I’d look into reserving a car service. It’s a little pricey, but it’ll be cheaper than Uber surge pricing after a football game and you’ll have zero stress. There are plenty listed.
This is also a good suggestion. Not all too familiar with the particular services offered, but would ensure your ride.

@vol94 - This is what I would suggest for a walking route to the stadium from The Standard. Will take you through the Historic Downtown Corridor then will dump you right into Campus Corner where there are a lot of gameday activities going on. From there, the campus and stadium will be right up ahead. If you're into some of this history side, I'd suggest heading to the east side of the stadium where the Heisman statues are.

Capture.PNG

@TheStandardNorman, great idea and thanks for the hospitality. I lived right outside of Norman a few years back when I worked for "The King". I was all over the OU Campus and I will say, it is one of the nicest campuses that I have ever been to and the stadium was very nice as well. The people were great and very welcoming even with my Tennessee hat on at all times. I still speak with Coach quite often and he is as worried about this game as you are, He still supports his team but he has his concerns as do a lot of your fans. Again, thanks for the hospitality and as I told Coach last week. "Welcome to the SEC"

Hey, guys-
First, I come in peace. In fact, you'll find that OU fans are a relatively friendly bunch. Are we SEC Ready as a fanbase? Ha. We shall see.

I have been a member over at SoonerScoop.com since 2004 when I started at OU, so I know how the boards game goes. I am also co-owner (with my three siblings and mom) and Managing Partner of The Standard in Norman (The Standard Website). We opened our restaurant/bar October 2022 in Downtown Norman, which is less than mile to the stadium. 48 beers on tap (primarily Oklahoma breweries, but also a few domestics), fully stocked bar, burgers, wings, fried green tomatoes, etc. 4,000 sq ft of interior beer hall in an former auto body shop with another 5,600 sq ft of outdoor patio/beer garden. It’s been a fun ride and happy to bring another good spot to Norman, where 3 of the 5 of us call home.

I am reaching out to invite any Vols into our house. It's a great spot to not only pregame (Thursday/Friday night and on Gameday), but also to watch the game. We have 9 TVs throughout the restaurant ranging from 68" to 85". If you'd like to take it one step further and host an event, please email events@thestandardnorman.com and our boy Paul will get you going.

Sidenote: Confidence is low here in Norman after our first two weeks. Feeling good about our defense for the first time in at least a decade, but our offense is both decimated by injuries and seemingly inept. It could be a long year with our schedule, but hopefully we put up a fight. Either way, we are glad to be in the SEC where real football is played. 95% of us were ready to jet the Little 12. Iron sharpens iron, as they say. We'll see how that works.

Enjoy Norman and please reach out my way at owner@thestandardnorman.com if you want any additional recs while you're here!
-CB
CB, very kind offer and I just know a bunch of Tennessee folks will turn up. I myself have always had a soft spot for the Sooners with quite a few friends and colleagues from your fine state that have touched my life through the years. So best of luck to you guys (for the remainder of the year anyway). And I hope it is an exciting and well-played game by both teams with zero injuries and that officiating does not come into any significant play. Good luck and appreciate your stopping by.

@TheStandardNorman, great idea and thanks for the hospitality. I lived right outside of Norman a few years back when I worked for "The King". I was all over the OU Campus and I will say, it is one of the nicest campuses that I have ever been to and the stadium was very nice as well. The people were great and very welcoming even with my Tennessee hat on at all times. I still speak with Coach quite often and he is as worried about this game as you are, He still supports his team but he has his concerns as do a lot of your fans. Again, thanks for the hospitality and as I told Coach last week. "Welcome to the SEC"
This is awesome! We’re actually hosting an event with Switzer at The Standard this afternoon. A collaborative deal with Homefield Apparel who is in town this week/weekend visiting. I love me some Barry. I often see him at Midway Deli, Pepe Delgados and Othellos…his regular hangs. The man never tires of talking football and LOVES being the King of Norman.

VN Store

Back