The temporary Vols baseball thread 2024 till Mexico gets through saving the world and can do the important VN work.

No where did I say anything like what you and Randy are implying. I said the kid needed to come out tonight and that CVT made the sa.e mistake in 22. YOU GUYS want to stretch it way beyond two innings in last night's game.
Kid got the save, got the outs, Tennessee win and saved at least some pitching for today. It’s called strategy. You don’t win them all and Tony V wins a lot more pitching strategy decisions than anyone on this board ever would

Kid got the save, got the outs, Tennessee win and saved at least some pitching for today. It’s called strategy. You don’t win them all and Tony V wins a lot more pitching strategy decisions than anyone on this board ever would
I don't disagree. I would have pulled him. I'm not the coach but an armchair QB. One hit and you would be agreeing with. It's my opinion.

I don't disagree. I would have pulled him. I'm not the coach but an armchair QB. One hit and you would be agreeing with. It's my opinion.
And you’d be complaining again today when C Mo was forced to pitch had we gone to the pen. I’d have been fine with another hit. It wasn’t one run lead.

tl;dr
I think the bolded part was the key.
It looked shaky for a while, some bad pitches in the 8th for sure (2 or 3 wild pitches, and at least one that would've been scored that way had there been someone on base), the passed ball with runners on 1st and 2nd in the ninth really wasn't on the pitcher, but those hitters who got on 1st and 2nd made it look too easy.
Two rough innings, but I'm glad he settled down and got the outs.
I really don't watch a lot of baseball anymore and DGAFT unless the Vols or Reds are playing, but I think in general there's a reluctance to let pitchers try to get out of bad situations and too much automatically going to the bullpen. I'm glad it worked out last night. I'm glad I'm not a baseball coach (too many stats in today's game for me to really enjoy watching it a lot).

Tony V also makes it a point to acknowledge he knows this isn’t the last stop for a lot of them and he’s not got to wear the pitchers out just because

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I don’t think it’s called strategy. Well just my opinion….but….I don’t think TV was all in on this win. Yes he wants to win but I think in his mind the development opportunity was the greater concern so he gambled for the future and let it ride.
Either way it worked out and I’m damn happy about it.

I don’t think it’s called strategy. Well just my opinion….but….I don’t think TV was all in on this win. Yes he wants to win but I think in his mind the development opportunity was the greater concern so he gambled for the future and let it ride.
Either way it worked out and I’m damn happy about it.
ok 👍

We were in the middle of warnings on the screen for storms....I didn't get the story on why LSU manager pulled a pitcher who had struck out six of his first eight batters
After the warnings, LSU had a new pitcher in there

Broadcaster 1: Amick 0 for his last 17…
Broadcaster 2: A third of his homers have come with runners in scoring position…
Amick…THWOCK!

We were in the middle of warnings on the screen for storms....I didn't get the story on why LSU manager pulled a pitcher who had struck out six of his first eight batters
After the warnings, LSU had a new pitcher in there
Without giving a reason, one of the talking heads said that the LSU mgr had a low pitch count limit on him.

Reactions: GordonC
What’s with Tennesseans giving a hand sign that resembles that of the Sundevils?

Without giving a reason, one of the talking heads said that the LSU mgr had a low pitch count limit on him.
well I saw right before we got the warnings the LSU manager and they were saying something about making a sudden change, but I wasn't listening much and I didn't think they were talking about the pitcher...I thought maybe another position

Satchel Paige howling in laughter from his grave at the very notion of a "pitch count" HAHAHAHAHA

Fave recent memory - Lame Kitten doing the ceremonial first pitch with a golf ball, then the BaseVols sweep Ol’ Miss at Oxford.

Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back