The Time Has Come To Pay Players for Participating In Bowl Games

Instead of Swag Bags give them Money. It should cut down on the non participants and hopefully the transfers.

Wouldn't help. Players head to the transfer portal are gone before the bowl games. For those who have NFL aspirations that are afraid of getting hurt, unless you plan to pay them what they think they would get from the NFL, they are not playing.

Most of these decisions are not about the money at that point in time - but about their future.

Next year, opt outs are going to be interesting. There will be 12 teams - Teams slotted 5 - 12 must win 4 games to win a championship. Everyone else has to win 3.

A team may play 17 games (12+ conference championship + 4), others 16 games. That is a long year.

I think we will still key players opt out especially if they don't feel that the team they are on has a clear path to the semis or finals.

A lot of the bowl games will soon be history - well have the following schedule:

- First week ==> 4 playoff games
- Second week ==> 4 playoff games
- Third week ==> 2 playoff games
- Fourth week ==> Championship

The bowls are going to get the teams that are left over with very little exciting matchups to be found.

Instead of Swag Bags give them Money. It should cut down on the non participants and hopefully the transfers.

I'd get rid of bowl games altogether before paying the players money. What's amusing is how football players--and the activists who shill for them--have always been the only student-athletes to prattle about getting paid.

I don't see anything really preventing that payment if someone wanted to do t

If the bowl means something, kids will play in it. If not, it will be a developmental opportunity for some young guys to step up. There is no need to pony up to some kid to play in the cheez-it and mayonnaise bowl.

I won't give a dime for players. Still paying off my school loans. You guys donate and take care of that. I still think they are lucky their school and meals are free.

I will say soon players won't be graduating with many degrees since the focus is on money. Most kids will be low income when they don't make pros.

Maybe we go to a 32 team playoff and be done with the bowl games altogether.
Too many games for college football. I think it will become a 16 team playoff, eventually, but not more, at least for several years. Another option might be to reduce the regular season to 11 games, get rid of the conference title games and then maybe a 32 team playoff works.

Reactions: Jdw2920
The money is there. The Citrus Bowl payout to the SEC will be north of $8 million dollars but guess who is too greedy to pay the players?

Imagine you know you're part of a team hauling in that kind of money (and more) for one game and you "aren't worth enough to the team" to get a penny of that money.

If college football is going to pull that kind of money for a non championship game, of course it's a professional sport.

Reactions: 901Vol
OR... just get rid of bowl games. Problem SOLVED.
They used to just have 4 Bowls and it meant something to make a Bowl Game. I think the Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Orange Bowl. Then Cities started wanting one to generate revenue and now you've got basically small cities hosting Bowls watered down extremely.

I'd rather see early enrollees be allowed to play in bowls
Why? And I'm not sure they can't play. Are you sure they can play? Unless that early enrollee gets a ton of reps in practice against the first team before the bowl game, it would be stupid to play him

VN Store

Back