The Time Has Come To Pay Players for Participating In Bowl Games

College Bowl games are akin to what the NFL Pro Bowl once was. No pros wanted to play full contact because of the obvious risk of injury far outweighing the benefits of playing.

Viewership of the Pro Bowl has declined 50% over the past decade.

The NFL solution beginning this past season was to throw out the "real" game and replace it with flag football. Plus they have alot of sideshow kind of activities for the players that they enjoy.

Maybe college bowls are headed in this direction... for better or worse?

I won't give a dime for players. Still paying off my school loans. You guys donate and take care of that. I still think they are lucky their school and meals are free.

I will say soon players won't be graduating with many degrees since the focus is on money. Most kids will be low income when they don't make pros.
Well to be fair only around 27% of college graduates find jobs in the fields they majored in.

Reactions: Ned Ray McWorkher
Nil has created an environment where gone are the days of a kid wanting to play for his state team, wanting to play where his dad, or brother,or uncle or cousin played. No pride whatsoever in playing for your favorite team growing up. It is really sad what they have done to a game that used to be played for the love of the game and the love of a university. Money and lust for it destroy everything

There's a lot of sorting out to be done in college football. Change has come fast and I don't think anyone knows what to do.

Instead of Swag Bags give them Money. It should cut down on the non participants and hopefully the transfers.
Why stop there? Let's fork over some money so they'll go to the weight room, hit the training room, and they should also get a per diem for road games, too. It's idiocy like this that got us to where we are now. If they don't want to play, who gives a damn. If they transfer, goodbye and best of luck. No offense, but don't be stupid.

Reactions: tbh and Voltopia
Well to be fair only around 27% of college graduates find jobs in the fields they majored in.
You just need the degree. But most aren't going pro in football. These kids will make the money for a little while in college then never get a diploma. Now I'm speaking without knowing. So maybe I'm wrong.

Live video of media companies negotiating TV contracts with schools. But sure, it's the fault of the players that money is ruining the sport.
1000000743.gif

Why? And I'm not sure they can't play. Are you sure they can play? Unless that early enrollee gets a ton of reps in practice against the first team before the bowl game, it would be stupid to play him
I don't think they could play. But I'd rather see somebody like Boo Carter as apposed to some walk on off the scout team

I love people lamenting paying the players for bowl games…. which all sold their naming rights and about 40 years ago evolved into nothing more than made for TV exhibitions. Everybody was fine looking the other way as long as the kids put their bodies on the line and the guys in suits made the money.

I love people lamenting paying the players for bowl games…. which all sold their naming rights and about 40 years ago evolved into nothing more than made for TV exhibitions. Everybody was fine looking the other way as long as the kids put their bodies on the line and the guys in suits made the money.
Yeah, this.

Instead of Swag Bags give them Money. It should cut down on the non participants and hopefully the transfers.
Are you going to pay each of them more than an NFL rookie contract? Because that’s the only way you keep all of them from sitting out the bowl game.

FCS is 24 teams I believe. Just go with that format and eliminate bowl games and especially conference championship games

I won't give a dime for players. Still paying off my school loans. You guys donate and take care of that. I still think they are lucky their school and meals are free.

I will say soon players won't be graduating with many degrees since the focus is on money. Most kids will be low income when they don't make pros.
Ok boomer

They used to just have 4 Bowls and it meant something to make a Bowl Game. I think the Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Orange Bowl. Then Cities started wanting one to generate revenue and now you've got basically small cities hosting Bowls watered down extremely.
Just to piggy back on this. ESPN came along and wanted filler between November and New Years Day so they started subsidizing a lot of these bowl games. ESPN made money from advertiser, cities made money, the schools made money and football fans were happy. The coaches were happy with more exposure and more practice time. So most Of these bowl games exist because of money and are nothing more than exhibition games.
Before the college playoffs started, the New Years Day games played a role in determining the National Championship and played a large part in bragging rights in having the best Big Ten team vs the best PAC Ten team or Alabama vs Norte Dame. Fans wanted to see how the best from their conference would fair against the best from another power conference.
Next year will even be worse. Who cares if a 4 loss ACC team plays a 3 loss Toledo team in an empty stadium, but a lot of people will still watch on ESPN and advertisers will pay for it.

Just to piggy back on this. ESPN came along and wanted filler between November and New Years Day so they started subsidizing a lot of these bowl games. ESPN made money from advertiser, cities made money, the schools made money and football fans were happy. The coaches were happy with more exposure and more practice time. So most Of these bowl games exist because of money and are nothing more than exhibition games.
Before the college playoffs started, the New Years Day games played a role in determining the National Championship and played a large part in bragging rights in having the best Big Ten team vs the best PAC Ten team or Alabama vs Norte Dame. Fans wanted to see how the best from their conference would fair against the best from another power conference.
Next year will even be worse. Who cares if a 4 loss ACC team plays a 3 loss Toledo team in an empty stadium, but a lot of people will still watch on ESPN and advertisers will pay for it.
Yep, empty stadiums with Bars & Sports Bars showing on their TVs and guys out drinking acting like their meeting up to watch the game, to get a break from the battle axe. So many random teams playing in the Bowls and the FCS playoffs hard to keep up with. Nobody really cares but its a form of football and we wait all Summer for it even when it gets watered down and exploited by the sleazy money honkers.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back