The Transfer Portal is Making the Recruiting Rankings Less Relevant

I'd say that you still have to build a program worth a top player transferring to. Nobody yet has brought in an entire starting offense or defense from the portal.

Recruiting will always be the most important thing. No getting around it. You shouldn't even try.

I'd say that you still have to build a program worth a top player transferring to. Nobody yet has brought in an entire starting offense or defense from the portal.

Recruiting will always be the most important thing. No getting around it. You shouldn't even try.
Deion Sanders tried. Granted, it has only been one year and I am not sure that he is the best person to try to do it, but regardless it is probably the best example out there right now. I think you are right in that the portal will be a piece, but HS recruiting is still going to be the foundation.

The only problem downplaying recruiting rankings is the years Bama and UGA dominated them at the top those two schools pretty much dominated playing for national championships as well recently. For example, until UGA began recruiting as a top one or two school after Smart got there they couldn't play for a NC. They always recruited well with Richt for example but not at the Bama level until Smart arrived. Saban is on another level when it came to recruiting and I'm happy to see him gone. If I see evidence recruiting at #10 or less routinely produces trips for the NC, then I'll become convinced but I don't see much of that occurring. Finding top tier ranked recruiting classes usually begats sniffing close to the NC.

Idk. Arguable in some cases that turning over the roster is better. I do agree identifying fit is an important part probably as much as talent.
true, in this years case I feel we needed to turn over the DB's

true, in this years case I feel we needed to turn over the DB's
We kept the guys we needed to. I’m sure they would’ve liked to had some guys like McDonald stay but it wasn’t a huge deal and I’m sure he saw the writing on the wall that the younger guys were probably going to take his playing time

To a small degree, yes it does making recruiting rankings matter less.

The main reason being 3* hit rates out of high school are likely to only be marginally better from one program to the next. But if you get to let someone else take a chance on those kids and see them play for a year or more in college, you’re naturally going to have a higher hit rate

Somebody has (Deion). And he did improve his team, but the question is, is there a ceiling to that?

VN Store

Back