The (Unofficial) French Open Thread

Good lord. Roddick lost today on grass to a guy named Vassellin. Is he even trying or is he injured?

I adopt this rationale as my own. Racquet and string technology plus court homogenization has turned the game over to the baseliners and 20 point rallys. Serving is neutralized. Serving and volleying is neutered.

I agree with what Memphis said a few posts back about the uniqueness of W and, in the past, getting to see that different game of tennis -- the game of grass as Federer refers to it -- played out one time a year.

I read recently that pro indoor tournaments used to be played on wood. As in wooden gym floor. Talk about some skid and low bounce.

There is not rule regulating the legality of surfaces. You can play on anything. It's funny to think about the possibilities. Playing on a hockey riink, or a cobblestone road, or astroturf, or a huge trampoline, or in quicksand, or a gymnastics floor, the wing of an airplane, whatever surface they make boxing rings out of, a massive silicon implant, etc. etc.

There is not rule regulating the legality of surfaces. You can play on anything. It's funny to think about the possibilities. Playing on a hockey riink, or a cobblestone road, or astroturf, or a huge trampoline, or in quicksand, or a gymnastics floor, the wing of an airplane, whatever surface they make boxing rings out of, a massive silicon implant, etc. etc.

Maybe this (that's Fed and Rafa, btw):

110104_tennis1.jpg

VN Store

Back