The Unoffocial Wimbledon 2013 Thread

I think this tournament is Djokavic's or Federer's to lose. I'd place Murray at 3rd most likely to win, with Nadal as an outside chance.

Both Williams and Kudla won. They have one more match to go to get in the main draw.

Here is a nice pic of Williams.

tumblr_mokavaiEVI1rhc1smo1_500.jpg

I think this tournament is Djokavic's or Federer's to lose. I'd place Murray at 3rd most likely to win, with Nadal as an outside chance.

I disagree. Here are my preliminary thoughts prior to the draws being finalized.

Roger Federer is past the point of no return. He has hit the wall. He isn't winning another major. And I would be willing to bet money on that. Just name the price. I'm in.

This tournament is much more wide open than was the French. Andy Murray can win it. Rafael Nadal can win it. Novak Djokovic can win it. And I wouldn't even completely rule out a sleeper coming out of nowhere and winning it. I'm thinking about guys like Berdych, Tsonga, Cilic, Tommy Haas???.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I think Andy Murray is the favorite to win this tournament. He made it to the finals last year. And then a few weeks later he avenged his loss to Federer by putting an absolute beatdown on him at the olympics. I think that means a lot. He knows he can win the tournament, and you know he wants to win the tournament. I'm not saying he is the overwhelming favorite, but I would put him as the slight favorite with Djokovic coming in right behind him as the #2.

Djokovic is still the best tennis player in the world. He damn near beat the greatest clay court player of all time in the semifinals at Roland Garros. He's clearly playing very well. He will be on opposite sides of the draw from Murray, so they can't meet up until the final.

I think that Rafa is the third most likely to win the tournament. But a lot is going to depend on his draw. He is going to be the fifth seed, and so he could end up having to play, say, Federer in the quarters, Murray in the semis, and then Djokovic in the final. Which would be brutal. Or he could find himself in the same quadrant as his regular whipping boy Ferrer, which would be much less brutal. We just don't know. But I do think he has a legit chance of winning the tournament. Let's not forget that's he's actually a pretty good grass court player. He lost to Fed in the Wimby finals in 2006 and 2007. He then beat Fed in the final in 2008. He didn't play in 2009. He then won again in 2010, and then lost in the final to Djokovic in 2011. Last year of course was the Lukas Rosol stunner, which was clearly a fluke in view of the totality of the evidence.

Ferrer has zero chance of winning.
Del Potro has zero chance of winning.
Berdych and Tsonga could potentially win.

Can Dimitrov play on grass? I'll keep an eye out for him.

I think Milos Raonic blows, but grass does suit his serve-bot game.

Marin Cilic just lost a tight match to Murray in the Queens club final.

And maybe that Rhyne Williams kid will bust through and make a deep run.

Kudla is in the main draw.

Rhyne is playing for that right against Bobby Reynolds right now as I type this. He won the first set. Let's do this, Rhyne!

Eh?

"What was written — what I supposedly said — is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame."

Has Serena gotten bored with tennis? Not sure why she decided to wade into these waters.

The draw is out. The most ridiculous draw in the history of sports. This must be tennis' payback to Djokovic for him laying down in the 5th in the French.

The bottom half of the draw is beyond stacked. The bottom half has Murray, Federer, Nadal, Tsonga, Gulbis, Isner, Almagro, Wawrinka, to name a few. Federer and Nadal meet in the QUARTER FINALS. The winner gets Murray in the semis. And Djokovic in the finals.

Don't worry though. Djokovic has to somehow get through Ferrer to play for the title. Berdych is in the top half as well. That's about it.

Contrary to kid, I thought Federer had an outside shot in London. But this settles it. Assuming it plays out as it should, there is little chance that either Federer or Nadal can run that guantlet of RF/RN, then Murray, then Djokovic.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. It is what it is. But it is still amazing to see it laid out like it is in this draw.

Without question: (1) Djokovic, (2) Murray (3) Nadal (4) Federer (5) Someone from top half if Djokovic dies before the final.

The draw is out. The most ridiculous draw in the history of sports. This must be tennis' payback to Djokovic for him laying down in the 5th in the French.

The bottom half of the draw is beyond stacked. The bottom half has Murray, Federer, Nadal, Tsonga, Gulbis, Isner, Almagro, Wawrinka, to name a few. Federer and Nadal meet in the QUARTER FINALS. The winner gets Murray in the semis. And Djokovic in the finals.

Don't worry though. Djokovic has to somehow get through Ferrer to play for the title. Berdych is in the top half as well. That's about it.

Contrary to kid, I thought Federer had an outside shot in London. But this settles it. Assuming it plays out as it should, there is little chance that either Federer or Nadal can run that guantlet of RF/RN, then Murray, then Djokovic.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. It is what it is. But it is still amazing to see it laid out like it is in this draw.

Without question: (1) Djokovic, (2) Murray (3) Nadal (4) Federer (5) Someone from top half if Djokovic dies before the final.

That's crazy. That is a huge ask for anyone to get through that draw. I like Murray's chances for that half.

The Novak "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to" Djokovic Quadrant:

This is the toughest quadrant. Tommy Haas is dangerous and Novak could see him in the 4th round. Novak will likely get Berdych in the quarters, but even if Berdych gets taken out, Djokovic could potentially get Richard Gasquet, who will of course be fueled by massive massive amounts of cocaine, Bernard Tomic who is a strange kid, but his talent is undeniable, Kevin Anderson and his deformed face, or big Daniel Brands and his power game.

Or maybe he'll get taken out by Steve Johnson in the second round.

Psyche!

The David "Hey KidB, go to talk to Pippa..I hear she's easy" Ferrer Quadrant:

Delpo isn't a good grass court player, and I have a better chance of going balls deep on Pippa Middleton without a rubber, and on national television, than David Ferrer does of winning Wimbledon.

Ferrer lucked out to get Delpo in his quadrant. I love Delpo on hard courts, but he just doesn't move quite as well on grass. This quadrant definitely has the most parity. Is that just another way of saying it is the worst quadrant? Possibly.

But consider these players: Dolgopolov and his feminine facial features, Milos "man if I weren't so funny looking, people would compare me to Mark Phillippoussis" Raonic, promising American Denis Kudla, rising star Kei Nishikori, Grigor "don't call me Baby Fed...I bang way hotter *****es" Dimitrov.

Every single one of them could potentially come out of this quadrant, along with Delpo and Ferrer. Jesus tap dancing Christ, how many players did I just mention? This is a very interesting quadrant. Go ahead and try to fill in your bracket, and we'll see how many you miss.

The Roger "I am surely the most humble person of all time" Federer Quadrant:

Fedsmug finds himself in a fairly tough quadrant. I don't think he's coming out of it. He'll likely make it to the quarters, but then who does get there? Rafa, who at this point he simply can't beat and it wouldn't mattered if they played on a sheet of ice. Or perhaps his buddy Stan The Man, who I think he would lose to right now. Isner, Paire, and Hewitt are also possibilities...though I would certainly bet against them.

The Andy "did you guys know I won a grand slam" Murray Quadrant:

Murray should sleepwalk to the quarters. There, he'll either get Tsonga or Cilic -- though I'm still holding out hope it will be Gulbis -- and he'll beat either guy with an ease reminiscent of the ease with which any male with a working penis and enough money to buy a six pack of Natty Light can get balls deep into your whore ex-girlfriend.

So, after the seeing the draw, I'm still predicting Murray. Indeed, I am making this prediction with greater confidence today than I did two days ago.

Last edited:

When they announced Rafa as the 5 seed, you knew one of four guys was gonna get screwed. Fed got screwed.

I like Murray's chances a lot.

I don't usually follow the off-the-court dramatics that the media like to hype so much because it is usually just a media-hyped nothingburger.

However, if you haven't read or watched what Maria Sharapova said about Serena in her press conference at Wimbledon, you need to. Now. It is an epic smack down. It's shocking because you never see people going at one another personally like this anymore in sports.

Sharapova had the balls to say that Serena shouldn't be commenting on the Ohio rape case as she did. Rather, said Maria, Serena should talk about real-life stuff such as her boyfriend who is married with children and who is leaving his wife for Serena.

Apparently, that was in response to something Serena said about Maria in her recent controversial Rolling Stone interview. SW alluded to MS being in love with the dude with the black heart, but still not being cool. That is in reference to MS dating Grigor Dimitrov, who once dated Serena.

Not sure I'd want to have to fight Serena. Someone likely to get shanked.

Errani just needs to hang it up. When's the last time you saw a 5 seed on the women's side go out in the first round?

Raise your hand if you had Nadal losing in the first round.

<does not raise hand>

I only watched bits and pieces because I had it streaming at work, but what I did see was the worst performance I've ever seen out of Rafa. He played terrible.

VN Store

Back