This "Gimmick" Offense

casual-observer

Pantone 151C
Honest question from someone who never played the game:

Every year, every fan board, it's the same chirping - "Tennessee/Heupel runs a "gimmick" offense that is easy to figure out"

If it's so gimmicky and easy to figure out, why have Josh Heupel's offenses been ranked nationally in the top10 72% of the time over the past nine years (maybe more)?

As someone who never played the game, what is everyone charging as 'gimmicky' to this offense? What does that mean, can someone explain what is gimmicky? Or is this just a case of opposing fans repeating something they've heard and most of them know nothing about?

-> It does appear the Tennessee offense is playing tighter in the box with two tight ends. I think this is adding power to the inside and helping boost the running game.
-> It appears other schools (I noticed Georgia doing this against Clemson last week) are utilizing the in-helmet communications and playing more tempo office (like TN)...so if everyone trying to mimic the crappy, gimmicky offense, lol?

1725814423360.png

Bonus points if someone can explain this.

A “Gimmick” offense is a non-conventional, uncommon style that goes against current football orthodoxy. Some other offenses that were considered gimmicky:

Bill Walsh’s West Coast Offense
Mouse Davis Run n shoot
Steve Spurrier’s Fun N Gun
Joe Tiller’s Basketball on Grass
Hal Mumme and Mike Leach’s Air Raid
Rich Rod’s Spread Option
Urban Meyer’s Spread Offense
Art Briles Baylor Veer and Shoot

Seems like Heupel is in good company.

A “Gimmick” offense is a non-conventional, uncommon style that goes against current football orthodoxy. Some other offenses that were considered gimmicky:

Bill Walsh’s West Coast Offense
Mouse Davis Run n shoot
Steve Spurrier’s Fun N Gun
Joe Tiller’s Basketball on Grass
Hal Mumme and Mike Leach’s Air Raid
Rich Rod’s Spread Option
Urban Meyer’s Spread Offense
Art Briles Baylor Veer and Shoot

Seems like Heupel is in good company.
This. We should embrace the "gimmick". It's innovation.

Actually, what Heupel did yesterday wasnt even his normal "gimmick". Instead of the wide WR split, it was TE mania. NC State was preparing for one thing but got something else completely. Heupel afterwards said that previously we didnt have the talent/depth at TE to do what we did yesterday but now we do, so its a new wrinkle in the "gimmick" (like Nico and the shovel pass).

Its almost as if Heupel has multiple "gimmicks" which he uses and as the opposing defense figures one out, he shifts to a different one. Yeah, almost like he is a talented coach or something. Go figure.

Actually, what Heupel did yesterday wasnt even his normal "gimmick". Instead of the wide WR split, it was TE mania. NC State was preparing for one thing but got something else completely. Heupel afterwards said that previously we didnt have the talent/depth at TE to do what we did yesterday but now we do, so its a new wrinkle in the "gimmick" (like Nico and the shovel pass).

Its almost as if Heupel has multiple "gimmicks" which he uses and as the opposing defense figures one out, he shifts to a different one. Yeah, almost like he is a talented coach or something. Go figure.
Exactly. Totally new concept.

Go VOLS

Air Coryell also used a gimmick offense. He once said "Use the middle of the field and throw to the tight end often, for that is he way to victory."

Reactions: Ratvol
Every year, every fan board, it's the same chirping - "Tennessee/Heupel runs a "gimmick" offense that is easy to figure out"

If it's so gimmicky and easy to figure out, why have Josh Heupel's offenses been ranked nationally in the top10 72% of the time over the past nine years (maybe more)?

First thing is that most fans are ignoramuses who parrot what they hear from whatever hack media shows they watch and listen to - it's the same thing in politics, which is why 'talking points' are repeated again and again.

The speed of the offense is the first thing people notice, immediately making it a gimmick because it's 'different'. Big plays created from the horizontal nature of the formations means it's 'pass happy', which people still actually say about this offense. As you alluded, if it was a 'gimmick' offense that is 'easy to figure out', Heupel would already have been drummed out of coaching.

It's actually a brilliant offense that forces defenses to pick their poison, and attacks them accordingly, not making a distinction whether the run or pass is a priority. Heupel uses imaginative blocking schemes that require precise execution, and as he has added quality personnel he is able to add more and more wrinkles and formations (like the 12 personnel) and not be dependent on horizontal spacing. And varying the tempo more and more leaves defenses guessing as well.

Let them keep disparaging the offense and underrating what's going on here, although it seems that last night was a coming out party of sorts for this entire program, given the #7 AP ranking.

Honest question from someone who never played the game:

As someone who never played the game, what is everyone charging as 'gimmicky' to this offense? What does that mean, can someone explain what is gimmicky? Or is this just a case of opposing fans repeating something they've heard and most of them know nothing about?

-> It does appear the Tennessee offense is playing tighter in the box with two tight ends. I think this is adding power to the inside and helping boost the running game.
-> It appears other schools (I noticed Georgia doing this against Clemson last week) are utilizing the in-helmet communications and playing more tempo office (like TN)...so if everyone trying to mimic the crappy, gimmicky offense, lol?

View attachment 674769

Bonus points if someone can explain this.
Part of it goes back to Saban who tried to get a rule that would slow it down so he could sub his D, especially his DL. He had out current depth and quality at DL for years but the speed at which CJH runs plays partially nullified that advantage

I’m enjoying reading this and people’s thoughts because I’m in the same boat.

I see an offense that’s balanced in the run and pass game. It is admittedly up tempo.

But it spreads the ball out, doesn’t try to enforce its will but rather takes what the defense gives them.

I also don’t get it.

I have read about some of the options of the WR’s running routes and how that is unique (I don’t remember it all) but I don’t see it anywhere near as much of a “gimmick” compared to many other offenses of the past.

Reactions: TnScooby
This game was a warm up for other teams that play a 3–3-5 defense against us (UGA). The 12 personnel with run first, short passing game with TE’s is designed to stress/tire out front of this defense.

The key is to have an elite defense...Scoring 50 and getting beat 52-50 is no fun. We are getting there with the defense. Too many times teams with a high powered offense has a less than good defenses.

I liked what Heupel said in his post game presser....We are going to have a good defense...This is the defense of Reggie White....Al Wilson...Eric Berry. When he said those 3 names he stopped talking and just looked around the room. Heupel gets it.

Everybody watched mizzou last year and thought the drop 8 3-3-5 was the kryptonite for a Heupel offense and what did heup do? Welcome to 12 personnel Tennessee we will just run it down your throat and take what you give us in the pass game…

Call it what they want, doesn’t really matter.

If “they” want to call it gimmick, so be it.

Maybe we can win a “gimmick” National Championship or 5 with it. GB🍊!

VN Store

Back